Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smokeless Coal For Open Fire

• 26-01-2021 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Have tried 2 brands of smokeless coal recently on an open fire (apologies, but i can't remember the brands) and i found them both bad. Very little flames coming from the coal. Not an a par with regular (unsmokeless!!) coal. Doesn't seem to be any more heat from the smokeless either.
    Can anyone recommend some good smokeless coal brands? I like something that lights quickly and gives a good flame.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭phormium

None that I have tried are any good, ends up looking like an electric fire without even the flicker! They don't give a good flame after they initially heat up, you just get the glow, they take quite a while to light and heat up too.

My solution has been to buy logs as well so that once it starts to just look like a picture of a fire I throw in a log, that gives a few flames at least for effect.

It's not a patch on real coal I'm afraid and burns the backside out of the grate much quicker too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

phormium wrote: »
    None that I have tried are any good, ends up looking like an electric fire without even the flicker! They don't give a good flame after they initially heat up, you just get the glow, they take quite a while to light and heat up too.

My solution has been to buy logs as well so that once it starts to just look like a picture of a fire I throw in a log, that gives a few flames at least for effect.

It's not a patch on real coal I'm afraid and burns the backside out of the grate much quicker too :)

Have been doing that with the logs also!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Smokeless coal doesn't, and shouldn't have much of a flame.

I have found eco glo very good.
    Arigna cosy glo works well in open fires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I moved to kiln dried Ash entirely and it's been perfect, no going back.

Advertisement