Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager taking from tips

Options
  • 26-01-2021 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, Just wondering if anyone could help.

I work in a cafe and have a query about how our tips are being used (misused).

At the close of business each day money is being taken from the tips by the manager in the case of the till being down (it usually is).

Us staff members don’t get to count our till before it is put out and multiple members of staff use the same cash drawer throughout the day.

Is it legal for our employer to take from the tips we receive from customers to make up any shortfall?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hi, Just wondering if anyone could help.

I work in a cafe and have a query about how our tips are being used (misused).

At the close of business each day money is being taken from the tips by the manager in the case of the till being down (it usually is).

Us staff members don’t get to count our till before it is put out and multiple members of staff use the same cash drawer throughout the day.

Is it legal for our employer to take from the tips we receive from customers to make up any shortfall?

Thanks

Its definitely illegal to take from wages to top up till money.. but I don''t think it mentions tips.. Its the most miserable thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What hourly rate are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭bluefivetwo23

What hourly rate are you getting?

10 cent over minimum wage

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No automatic entitlement to tips then, but business can do what it wants to them.

But as soon things get better, look for a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Allinall

Can you not pocket the tips as they come in, and divide them up later, or at the end of the week?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/starting_work_and_changing_job/young_people_at_work/rights_of_young_workers.html
    If you are working in a workplace where staff are given tips and gratuities by customers (such as a restaurant, bar, etc.) there is nothing in law to state you are automatically entitled to these tips. However, the law does not require you to hand these tips to your employer either. Instead, it all depends on the custom and practice in your workplace. There is a National Minimum Wage (Protection of Employee Tips) Bill 2017 which proposes to bring in legislation on employees tips. The legislation will need to be enacted before this can come into force.

If all tips are collected by management and paid to staff through the payroll, then these tips are subject to tax in the normal way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Allinall wrote: »
    Can you not pocket the tips as they come in, and divide them up later, or at the end of the week?

Very open to further abuse in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,469 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Allinall wrote: »

I’d agree.

If a bill is issued for a table that you are serving comes to 91.70. You bring back 8.30 having been handed two fifty euro notes but the customer tells you “ thanks, for you”..they are tipping you for that service. It’s personal, I’ve never tipped a ‘company’.

If you have an agreement amongst employees where you pool tips, fine. That’s fair, transparent and agreed. You could each txt a work WhatsApp at the end of each shift.... DF... 34 euros...KT26...DN23...FS27... TOTAL 110.. 27.50 each in tips for the shift...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

I used to work in a place where the tips were collected and the manager would distribute the tips to all workers at the end of the month.

Only the manager used to give the majority of tips to people he liked the most, regardless of their working hours. Typically the people who ended up with the most least deserved them. And there were times where I was in the good books and got more than another worker who worked harder than me for that period. He also used to use the tips as his own personal spending jar.

Eventually a few of us just kept the tips we were given and said we wanted no part in the pooling. There was enough of us that the manager had to go with it or he would have been looking for a lot of new staff.

Pooling tips is a joke. Keep them and if there's an issue with that, then look for another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

How much is the till normally short by and why is short so often? That's what I'd be asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,469 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

pinkyeye wrote: »
    How much is the till normally short by and why is short so often? That's what I'd be asking.

That means the manager having to do something responsible, make some effort and invest time into investigations. Unfortunately they sound like a breed of manager where if there was work in the bed, they’d sleep on the floor. :eek:

Advertisement