Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water leak in brand new car

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

curiosity wrote: »
    How many potential buyers of new Fords is this going to spook? I've been mulling over a new Focus, and this thread has given me second thoughts.

Ty for the heads up, OP. Hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction.

Well someone on here had an electrical problem in their brand new peugeot last week, new tesla thread a few problems, i remember an incorrect speced tiquan a few months back.... You see where im going with this. New cars do not guarantee perfect cars no matter what brand

jump straight to one of four default **** shows, the car is ****ed, the dealer is incompetent, consult the sale of goods act or take them to small claims court. It's one of the four or a combination, every time.

Sounds like good advice, to me, to be honest.

pippip wrote: »
    New cars do not guarantee perfect cars no matter what brand

But they should. This seems to be an issue. If you buy practically anything brand new, and it doesn't operate as expected, you'd bring it back for repair, replace or refund.

For some reason, it seems that cars are put on an imaginary pedestal where, if the customer lamps out 30-40 thousand euro, and has a problem, they should be apologetic about mentioning it to the dealer.

If someone has an issue with a car, and it's addressed, then that's it sorted and most would be happy with that. However, if the dealer half-asses a repair, or if it has to be brought back multiple times, then the customer should be angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Not really, splashing a hose for 10 minutes isn't the same as 48hours of continuous downfall,

The point i'm making is in relation to you talking about car manufacturers that assemble cars in hot countries not having adequate opportunity to test water ingress because they have a hot climate with less rainfall / access to water.... what are you talking about? Actually never mind.

I would image a multi billion dollar company like Ford might have the resources to be able to test for door / boot seals in some sort of on-site facility for this purpose. As opposed to sitting around praying for it to rain because its a hot climate....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Yes, I saw that Peugeot thread too. I would expect a new car to at least keep out rain etc though, and if it didn't, I'd very much expect the dealer/distributor/maker to make a very good effort to sort the issue. Mistakes happen, some customers might over-react to a slight fault, but really, let the new car customer not experience that sinking feeling of a soaking car carpet!
    pippip wrote: »
    Well someone on here had an electrical problem in their brand new peugeot last week, new tesla thread a few problems, i remember an incorrect speced tiquan a few months back.... You see where im going with this. New cars do not guarantee perfect cars no matter what brand

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

I wouldn't stress over the car being stripped,it's a straightforward thing.Finding a water leak isn't difficult either,it only takes a lad with a garden hose & another with a torch.Pity it happened but it's not uncommon.

Water leaks are mostly a total balls to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The point i'm making is in relation to you talking about car manufacturers that assemble cars in hot countries not having adequate opportunity to test water ingress because they have a hot climate with less rainfall / access to water.... what are you talking about? Actually never mind.

I would image a multi billion dollar company like Ford might have the resources to be able to test for door / boot seals in some sort of on-site facility for this purpose. As opposed to sitting around praying for it to rain because its a hot climate....

Itll be random checks mostly automated production so little gap in sealant missed in one or two vehicles in a day, Ford figured the lawsuits would cost less than the repair to the American Pinto in the seventies so a few bits of seepage isn't really going to raise much of a noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Blast it with p*ss?

My brother had a VW that gathered water inside, on the floor at the back seats, and it baffled the garage. It turned out to be something to do with a pollen filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I don't post that often and this is my last post on this thread. Those of you saying ah relax its just a leak, its not a huge deal, its a common problem, get on with it etc... You must be taking the piss. I drive around in a ****ty old Mazda 6, boring as ****, gutless engine, doors squeak a bit, back window stopped working, few rattles here and there and its worth sweet FA. Doesn't leak though. Before that an old civic. No leaks.

To commit to longterm saving or get into a big old chunk of debt for a brand new car then to discover it leaks and its taking days to get sorted, you bet your arse i'm going to hit the roof to get immediate satisfaction. Especially from a main dealer. And there's not one of you would accept it either so stop trying to imply that the OP is just making a fuss - Would you accept it?? Seriously the biggest load of oul horse **** i've ever heard. Ah your mans an awful pain in the hole because he's not happy his brand new car is leaking like a sieve. The cheek of him!

If you think being deeply unhappy about your brand new 211 being sat in a car dealers getting repaired for water ingress for days is overreacting then I feel sorry for anyone who buys a car off any of you who are in the trade.

It shouldn't happen and its not acceptable. OP has every right to be upset about it.

* Btw there are one or two semi-trolls who sniff around these threads, you can spot them easy enough. Don't feed em because they come back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Five Eighth

The dealer will have to be given the opportunity to rectify the water leak(s) to the manufacturer's specification within a reasonable time frame.

You should expect your car to be returned to you in new car condition with, if necessary, all carpets, trims etc. replaced.

Keep a record of when you collected the car from the dealer, when you first noticed and then reported the water leaks to the dealer. When you brought the car to the dealer to have the water leaks rectified and then, once rectified, when you took back possession of the car from the dealer. Also, ask the dealer to provide you with a full report of where the car was leaking water and what they had to do to rectify the leaks.

If the water leaks are not fully rectified you may have a case for a replacement car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Nobody is saying that.

I'll tell you what though, you'd be sick to the back teeth of it on here, in every thread started, the same ond faces and the same alarmist reactions.

It's absolutely cancerous on this forum, like no other forum on boards, as far as i can see. Everyone assumes the worst, jump straight to one of four default **** shows, the car is ****ed, the dealer is incompetent, consult the sale of goods act or take them to small claims court. It's one of the four or a combination, every time. Mostly spouted by people who havn't an iota of what they are on about.

It's really sad, IMO for the non regulars, like this thread, who come on looking for honest advice and then get hit with 2 to 3 pages of absolute scaremongering, then 5 to 10 pages of squabbling between the same few fearmongering regulars with very very little truth, common or practical sense or advice given at any point.

All this reject the car, tell the dealer to get you a new one, get the dealer to pay for the finance while it's off the road, the car will never be the same again, it's not a new car if it's had a repair type talk is such utter utter bollocks 99.9% of the time and unfortunately the real help and advice gets lost amidst the noise.

Take a breath there, open the back door and cool off a bit...
    Better?
    Seeing as you're the man in the know and us plebs are just mere customers handing over our hard earned cash for cars, what do YOU recommend the op should do?
    Please note there are no ** in my post, I and I'm sure many others would appreciate the same in your reply.
    That's if you bother replying of course.

• Advertisement

The dealer will have to be given the opportunity to rectify the water leak(s) to the manufacturer's specification within a reasonable time frame.

You should expect your car to be returned to you in new car condition with, if necessary, all carpets, trims etc. replaced.

Keep a record of when you collected the car from the dealer, when you first noticed and then reported the water leaks to the dealer. When you brought the car to the dealer to have the water leaks rectified and then, once rectified, when you took back possession of the car from the dealer. Also, ask the dealer to provide you with a full report of where the car was leaking water and what they had to do to rectify the leaks.

If the water leaks are not fully rectified you may have a case for a replacement car.

Good post. Yes probably the best approach now that I've thought about it but water leaks cause an incredible amount of unseen damage that doesn't rear its head until a few years later particularly in wiring harnesses.

Archeron wrote: »
    Blast it with p*ss?

My brother had a VW that gathered water inside, on the floor at the back seats, and it baffled the garage. It turned out to be something to do with a pollen filter.

Well known problem since around 2000, where was his dealer based, on the moon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Feel sorry for you op
    Part of reason id never buy new
    Bad enough getting a lemon 2nd hand.
    But forking out over 20k
    Its money thats not easy got.
    Dont take it back until its 100% correct
    Myself personally i wouldnt be happy buying a new car and them potenially having to pull it all apart to make it right
    Its inevitable that parts get marked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

firstlight wrote: »
    Feel sorry for you op
    Part of reason id never buy new
    Bad enough getting a lemon 2nd hand.
    But forking out over 20k
    Its money thats not easy got.
    Dont take it back until its 100% correct
    Myself personally i wouldnt be happy buying a new car and them potenially having to pull it all apart to make it right
    Its inevitable that parts get marked.

Used to fit towbars to new cars, decades ago now, had to remove back bumper and boot panels to mount towbar and access mounting bolts, never scratched a thing, people seem to be underestimating skill levels here, chances are the time delay is Covid related stafflimited rather than inability to find a poxy leak,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Op, if the garage are planning on giving you the same car back I would be looking for exact details on what they have replaced.

Depending on the amount of water you have effectively the same issues as a flood damaged car... I'd expect wiring issues and rust in a few years if things aren't replaced and best of luck getting help from the garage then!
    Bottom line is that there isn't supposed to be water in side the car in decent volumes, so it's not protected to any great extent.

Though based on some replies you just need a green tree and maybe a hairdryer!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭StonedRaider

* Btw there are one or two semi-trolls who sniff around these threads, you can spot them easy enough. Don't feed em because they come back ;)

Ignore/Block button. Couldn't give afcuk:D

This thread is a joke, I'd bet 95% of the posters who are overreacting have mechanical skills that max out at changing a tyre if even that but they will tell you all about slack manufacturing testing processes and what exactly water will damage in a car and what needs to be replaced.

The car will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

As much as you don't want a new car giving trouble, it happens. That's just the nature of the beast just like a phone,TV etc they give trouble and it's why you get a warranty. I've done a countless number of water leaks and most the time it was a pinhole where the roof and quarter panel meet, once you find that it's a two minute fix. You strip the interior, dry out the floor, depending how bad the water ingress is you replace or dry out the carpet, put it back together and it's good as new. Just because a car is new doesn't mean it will be trouble free, it should be but unfortunately that's not how it works

Advertisement