Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU or something else?

Options
  • 26-01-2021 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

My media server is no longer powering up.

When I hit the power button, fans spin for 5 seconds, then power cuts.

I think it must be the PSU.

Anyway to verify?

Where can I get an ATX sized PSU in a hurry!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 betarayjay

sounds like a shorted mobo my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Hard to know what it is tbh. Seems like it's getting power at least, so i'd put the PSU slightly lower on the list (it could still be shot and not delivering enough juice). Is there any beeping from the motherboard, or does it lack a motherboard speaker? Have you tried ripping out everything except the bare essentials (1 RAM Stick, no GPU, just boot drive)?
    Does anything output to a monitor during bootup or is it complete dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 betarayjay

trust me man been around block enough times buy a cheap mobo off adverts see if it boots up ..... its ur mobo bought few brand new boards b4 that never worked

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Does your PSU have a self test?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Mobo doesn't beep, never did.

There's no time to see anything on a monitor, literally fans spin up, then it all powers off.

I'll have to take it apart at the weekend and see what I can make out of it.

Been working flawlessly for 4 years now.

I'm actually secretly hoping it is the mobo, because that will give me an excuse to upgrade it + CPU.

• Advertisement
Advertisement