Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction shutdown... only in Ireland!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

Involved in Construction, electrical contractor, 60% of our site staff are on temp lay off due to site closures, the remaining 40 % are on jobs which are nearing completion so every week up to 5th Match will mean more lay offs. No new jobs allowed to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭omeara1113

Work in construction as far as I can see it's work away as normal just let on your worried about covid but foremen and builders are using the social housing thing to push things as far as they can
    With no inforcement they'll keep doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

secman wrote: »
    Involved in Construction, electrical contractor, 60% of our site staff are on temp lay off due to site closures, the remaining 40 % are on jobs which are nearing completion so every week up to 5th Match will mean more lay offs. No new jobs allowed to start.

Also an electrical contractor and all of our work in the 26-Counties has stopped. Luckily we have works in the Six Counties to keep us going at the minute. It's outrageous closing construction.

omeara1113 wrote: »
    Work in construction as far as I can see it's work away as normal just let on your worried about covid but foremen and builders are using the social housing thing to push things as far as they can
    With no inforcement they'll keep doing it

Not true, a large amount of sites are closed, so hardly "work away as normal"

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭omeara1113

Not true, a large amount of sites are closed, so hardly "work away as normal"

A large amount of sites still open to

• Advertisement

omeara1113 wrote: »
    A large amount of sites still open to

So hardly normal if 50% are only open,

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

This is the cold hard reality of it.

The anecdotes of lads eating lunch together and vans flying around the place and the poor unfortunates working from home on full pay having to listen to construction noise(!) all feed into a narrative where it's "feck ye builders, ye may take some pain now!"

I think there is something in the psyche of Official Ireland that the builder got too big for his boots, earned too much money and was too flashy and caused the property crash so he may suffer now and any chance we can we'll screw him.

Construction Industry Federation have just bent over and took this from the powers that be with hardly a word of complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Ginger83

A site beside us received planning for a single house.
    They are hammering away, digger in last week and block / stone lorries all this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Social housing is allowed open for construction as it deemed essential

Yes and quite bizarrely any builders or tradesperson working on these social houses wouldn’t be allowed to have their own homes constructed as that’s deemed unsafe.

Private one off housing is stopped.

So these people go work on the social housing projects and pay tax on their wages that goes into paying for social housing but they can’t progress with their own houses.

Lunacy....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

The tax coffers will be vastly affected negatively with the construction workers laid off. They make vast multiples of hourly paid hospitality workers, but they have hard physical jobs working in all weathers, so I don’t begrudge them. But, there seems to also be an element of begrudgery from the leftie political ejits, and this shut down seems populist to me. What they fail to understand is populist doesn’t mean popular. Idiots. I despair at the lack of leadership and cop on we have to endure in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I am in the process of getting prices for a job at the moment and every builder I have rang so far has told me they are still working away, but focusing on small jobs where they are a bit more hidden away for the next few weeks. Luckily our job is hidden away so should be able to get someone. Plenty of people now have just had enough of this and will find a way around the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Too much wriggle room in the construction business. Lots of work going on which shouldn't be going on.

If I was a nurse in ICU and one of these people came in with covid, I'd send them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What about our hapless housing ministers absolutely absurd comments earlier. Whilst it's common knowledge his comments can generally be scoffed at, his statement that for every week of a lockdown 700/800 won't be built. Does this guy seriously believe anywhere near this amount of houses being built weekly in normal times, has he lost plot all together, just beyond extraordinary any government minister allowed to make such widely inaccurate statements.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Dempo1 wrote: »
    What about our hapless housing ministers absolutely absurd comments earlier. Whilst it's common knowledge his comments can generally be scoffed at, his statement that for every week of a lockdown 700/800 won't be built. Does this guy seriously believe anywhere near this amount of houses being built weekly in normal times, has he lost plot all together, just beyond extraordinary any government minister allowed to make such widely inaccurate statements.

They really haven't a clue. For a government that has said its aim is to improve the housing crisis in Ireland, every decision they make seems to only excaurbate it.

Too much wriggle room in the construction business. Lots of work going on which shouldn't be going on.

If I was a nurse in ICU and one of these people came in with covid, I'd send them home.

Right, yeah.

Negligable chance of a lad fit enough to work on his feet all day ending up needing ICU.

Little chance catching on site in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Right, yeah.

Negligible chance of a lad fit enough to work on his feet all day ending up needing ICU.

Little chance catching on site in any case.

It is quite sobering to note the numbers of posters here and elsewhere on Social Media who's fears prompt ever more strident calls for harsher and more restrictive measures to.......do exactly what ?

Is to give the HSE time and space to prepare and cope ?

Is it to suppress and/or eliminate the virus ?

A great many people appear to have lost ALL self-confidence,in favour of a wild-eyed expectation that State imposed societal shutdown will solve the issue.

We appear to have (deliberately ?) lost sight of the CV-19 reality which remains that it is a mild or unnoticed infection in over 80% of cases.

The figures really appear to be overlooked by ordinary folk,in favour of ever more scarifying revelations from Govermental and other associated groups now fully engaged with the Covid programme.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing
    Total Tests Completed

Total Positive Tests

Total Positive Rate (%)

Even less attention appears to be paid to the Hospitalization figures...

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/detailed-profile-of-cases
    Total Cases Hospitalised

Total Cases Requiring ICU

Healthcare Worker Cases

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/detailed-county-statistics
    Total Population of Dublin
    (Census 2016)

Total Confirmed Cases
    In Dublin

The endless circle of lockdown,restrictions,and endless doomladen media articles is ensuring that ever increasing numbers of ordinary folk are succumbing to what is far more damaging than the Virus......Helplessness and Depression.:(

It is surely time to return to being Human again ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭scwazrh

pconn062 wrote: »
    I am in the process of getting prices for a job at the moment and every builder I have rang so far has told me they are still working away, but focusing on small jobs where they are a bit more hidden away for the next few weeks. Luckily our job is hidden away so should be able to get someone. Plenty of people now have just had enough of this and will find a way around the restrictions.

Any builders who are working where they are “hidden away “ clearly don’t care about government guidelines or rules.If that’s their attitude to public health and a pandemic do you think they will care about something small like building regs while working in your house?

In the event of an insurance claim for any incidents during these non essential works the builder won’t be covered so it will be the homeowner at fault then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

scwazrh wrote: »
    Any builders who are working where they are “hidden away “ clearly don’t care about government guidelines or rules.If that’s their attitude to public health and a pandemic do you think they will care about something small like building regs while working in your house?

In the event of an insurance claim for any incidents during these non essential works the builder won’t be covered so it will be the homeowner at fault then.

i think thats a bit of a stretch.
    the guys that care about doing it right will still do it right and those that never cared still wont. pandemic wont change that

i think thats a bit of a stretch.
    the guys that care about doing it right will still do it right and those that never cared still wont. pandemic wont change that

Guys that care about doing it right are only working on allowed works or sitting at home.The lads that are willing to carry out works that should not be in progress are putting money ahead of rules , that attitude usually applies to all rules not just some

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Or maybe they just want to put food on the table for their kids.

Not everyone is able to work from home on full pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Guys that care about doing it right are only working on allowed works or sitting at home.The lads that are willing to carry out works that should not be in progress are putting money ahead of rules , that attitude usually applies to all rules not just some

i regularly see the good guys out in their vans. they arnt all supposed to be out there but are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I think it's more a case of they still have bills to pay, mortgages to pay, van repayments etc. The rest of the post is sort of nonsense.

Or maybe they just want to put food on the table for their kids.

Not everyone is able to work from home on full pay.

So because you have bills to pay you can just ignore the lockdown ?

So because you have bills to pay you can just ignore the lockdown ?
    Is it OK for Micheál Martin to go galavanting around the USA whilst spitting upon the Irish National Day for the second year running? Is it OK to issue Treasonous and totalitarian edicts which will kill many multiples of the people counted as deaths with COVID?

Am amazed at the lack of discussion or debate about this.

We are the only jurisdiction in the world, as far as I’m aware, who have decided to close most construction down again.

What are the reasons behind this and why are we inflicting this enormous economic and social damage for such little benefit?

Are our public health experts privy to information not available to other jurisdictions experts?

Why is a factory producing goods allowed to continue operating while a site producing homes is shutdown?

Initial period of 3 weeks, now being extended to 8 weeks.

Truly bizarre and almost inexplicable!

Thoughts?
    Did you ever been on building site in Ireland ? I am not suprised why they are closed.Dirty,full of vans with Northern reg.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Is it OK for Micheál Martin to go galavanting around the USA whilst spitting upon the Irish National Day for the second year running? Is it OK to issue Treasonous and totalitarian edicts which will kill many multiples of the people counted as deaths with COVID?

No it’s not.
    Is it right that my company and it’s staff are sitting at home because we play by the rules but majority of competitors who don’t give a f**k about standards or rules are out working away ?

No it’s not.
    Is it right that my company and it’s staff are sitting at home because we play by the rules but majority of competitors who don’t give a f**k about standards or rules are out working away ?
    What type of tinpot dictator claims to be able to make "rules" at a whim? I do not consider these to be lawful instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

screamer wrote: »
    The tax coffers will be vastly affected negatively with the construction workers laid off.

Not as much as laying off PAYE workers.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    What type of tinpot dictator claims to be able to make "rules" at a whim? I do not consider these to be lawful instructions.

Approved by cabinet.
    Nothing unlawful about them unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

lawred2 wrote: »
    Oh no... Stay inside people.. there's a virus at your door

FFS

Give your head a shake will you

Lol! Virus spreads in aerosols chief. Hate to break it to ya.

Advertisement