Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction shutdown... only in Ireland!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Nothing unlawful about them unfortunately.
    I fundamentally and completely disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

scwazrh wrote: »
    So because you have bills to pay you can just ignore the lockdown ?

There is no lockdown.

There is guidelines.

If it comes between feeding your family or sitting at home on 200 euro a week while others are on full pay and our government remain on full pay i know what I would do.

It's every man for himself and always has been from the beginning of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Right, yeah.

Negligable chance of a lad fit enough to work on his feet all day ending up needing ICU.

Little chance catching on site in any case.

And what if he passes it on to someone who would end up in icu???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If I was a nurse in ICU and one of these people came in with covid, I'd send them home.

You would yeah.

You would be out the door as quick as them,if you did that.

FFS think about what you are saying for a minute 🀣🀣

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I fundamentally and completely disagree.

Tough ****e. You live here. You’ve to adhere to them like every other citizen should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

tom1ie wrote: »
    Tough ****e. You live here. You’ve to adhere to them like every other citizen should.
    Not if they're unlawful atually. I suggest you research how the law works.

There is no lockdown.

There is guidelines.

If it comes between feeding your family or sitting at home on 200 euro a week while others are on full pay and our government remain on full pay i know what I would do.

It's every man for himself and always has been from the beginning of time.

Well, while I don’t disagree with you 100% this is pretty much why we are where we are.
    There is no collective togetherness.

Sure. Too late in the evening to get into a ridiculous conversation with someone who doesn’t give a ****e about trying to suppress a virus in a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Just for arguments sake can you post a link either confirming your beliefs that its unlawful or also if you like the link to where they have the power to shutdown

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

And what if he passes it on to someone who would end up in icu???

And what if the lad working in the Harvey Norman warehouse packing up TV’s for delivery passes it on to his colleague who passes it on to his granny who ends up in ICU?

Surely if the construction of a roof over your head isn’t essential then having a TV delivered isn’t essential... why are those guys working at all then?

Sure we should just shutdown all work that isn’t food / healthcare / essential maintenance related?

We would be a total outlier in the world but we already are with the construction shutdown... might aswell keep going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭scwazrh

There is no lockdown.

There is guidelines.

Is this fact or opinion ?
    If it’s fact that it is a guideline only then why is anyone staying at home ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lol! Virus spreads in aerosols chief. Hate to break it to ya.

whoosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

And what if the lad working in the Harvey Norman warehouse packing up TV’s for delivery passes it on to his colleague who passes it on to his granny who ends up in ICU?

Surely if the construction of a roof over your head isn’t essential then having a TV delivered isn’t essential... why are those guys working at all then?

Sure we should just shutdown all work that isn’t food / healthcare / essential maintenance related?

We would be a total outlier in the world but we already are with the construction shutdown... might aswell keep going?

Let's call a spade a spade here.

If Covid happened back in 2006, back when not every home had internet, and those that did often had patchy internet that could not support WFH software and Zoom calls, would our society have shut down?

Would it fcuk.

We are where we are now because Leo's most beloved industries, such as the banks and the car insurance companies, can have their staff work from home, so the gouging of the nation's mortgage holders and motorists can go ahead unabated. You really think if WFH wasn't an option Leo would tell the insurance companies that they would just have to give all motorists a flat rate across the board for next year if their underwriters weren't able to get to the office and work out how to rape the customer further this year?

Just imagine a society 15 years ago where the virus was so dangerous that the government only allowed those involved in the supply of food, medicine, electricity to go to work. The other 95 percent of the population would be put on welfare.

Impossible and unaffordable.

We are in this situation because technology allows them to do it to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

This is the cold hard reality of it.

The anecdotes of lads eating lunch together and vans flying around the place and the poor unfortunates working from home on full pay having to listen to construction noise(!) all feed into a narrative where it's "feck ye builders, ye may take some pain now!"

I think there is something in the psyche of Official Ireland that the builder got too big for his boots, earned too much money and was too flashy and caused the property crash so he may suffer now and any chance we can we'll screw him.

Construction Industry Federation have just bent over and took this from the powers that be with hardly a word of complaint.

It's amazing isn't it. Construction workers, the vast majority of whom are now on PUP or vastly reduced EWSS, are by and large all eager to get back to work. None of them are afraid of a virus that is almost unheard of in causing any serious damage to younger relatively healthy people.

Teachers, meanwhile, all seem to be convinced it is Ebola if the statement of their unions is anything to go by.

Wonder what the difference is.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

It's amazing isn't it. Construction workers, the vast majority of whom are now on PUP or vastly reduced EWSS, are by and large all eager to get back to work. None of them are afraid of a virus that is almost unheard of in causing any serious damage to younger relatively healthy people.

Teachers, meanwhile, all seem to be convinced it is Ebola if the statement of their unions is anything to go by.

Wonder what the difference is.......

You don't pay your taxes? 🀭

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

yabadabado wrote: »
    You would yeah.

You would be out the door as quick as them,if you did that.

FFS think about what you are saying for a minute 🀣🀣
    If I could, I'd send him home.
    Why should I help some tool who hasn't abided by the rules, when there are others to help who did all they could to avoid the covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

The decision to close construction was a “collective cabinet” decision and made to “limit the movement of people”.

Would have been nice if a journalist had asked the question at the press conference on Tuesday but I had to ring up and do it myself.

No one can answer as to whether our public health experts have superior information in relation to the risks and benefits of closing construction when compared to other jurisdictions.

Meanwhile a back and forth has developed between opposition and government this week regarding... delivery of housing units and affordability !

You really couldn’t make it up

Advertisement