Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inactive Current Account

Options
  • 27-01-2021 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I realise that an inactive (no transactions) account becomes dormant after 15 years

At what stage of inactivity does it cease to attract account fees if balance is zero ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi Curious_Case,

Thanks for getting in touch with us today.

Generally, when an account is not used after an extended period of time, it would be closed to prevent the accrual of fees bringing the account into an overdraft. There would be no set timeframe for this. 

Thanks, 
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Hi Curious_Case,

Generally, when an account is not used after an extended period of time, it would be closed to prevent the accrual of fees bringing the account into an overdraft. There would be no set timeframe for this. 

Thanks, 
    Richard

Ah, I see

So, if I leave a balance in an account, and cease all transactions, B of I will continue to apply fees until balance approaches zero.
    Therefore it would be better to have account closed if not used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi Curious_Case,

Thanks, 
    Richard

Ah, I see

So, if I leave a balance in an account, and cease all transactions, B of I will continue to apply fees until balance approaches zero.
    Therefore it would be better to have account closed if not used.
    That's correct.

Feel free to get back in touch if we can help with anything else.

Thanks,
    Richard

Advertisement