Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job description changed but not my contract

Options
  • 27-01-2021 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

My job description is not written into my contract but rather my title is in my contract. There are several of us the same so the job description is written in a common document, in the company manual.

The company have decided to rewrite the description of our roles and as such it has gone from 1 page to over 12 pages. No discussion or reason given other than 'company policy'. Granted most of the change is just more detail on what was there already but there are some extra items or targets that weren't there before. We've also been asked to sign it and return.

Is it normal practice for this to happen or is is something we should be wary of?

For example, I'm a 'train driver'. My contract says I'm employed as a train driver and the job description says I drive the trains on time etc.
    The new job description would say that I drive the trains on time and to be measured by having zero late times over 1 year...etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Augme

If the terms and conditions of employment changed were there was more responsibility or demands placed upon me I would be insisting on more money (or other benefits) in return.

You can't be forced into signing a new contract if you don't agree with it. A contract can only be legally changed if both parties agree or it needs to be changed due a change in employment legalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Augme wrote: »
    If the terms and conditions of employment changed were there was more responsibility or demands placed upon me I would be insisting on more money (or other benefits) in return.

You can't be forced into signing a new contract if you don't agree with it. A contract can only be legally changed if both parties agree or it needs to be changed due a change in employment legalisation.

I note they didn’t change the contract but rather the job description which isn’t included in the contract.

Most contracts have a clause that state your responsibilities but in addition have a clause that they are as your manager sees fit. This builds in a degree of flexibility to combat people sticking to what’s written only.

OP you can bring it up with your manager but it’s likely nothing much you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

_Brian wrote: »
    I note they didn’t change the contract but rather the job description which isn’t included in the contract.

If this job description is not forming part of the contract, then why are they asking the employees to sign it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

It sounds like your company is bringing in KPI’s or performance metrics, rather than changing the job description.

You are still “driving trains” as per your OP example, it’s just now you are doing it with the expectation of achieving specific results. With the assumption that if you don’t achieve those results, you’ll be put on a PIP or similar.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable (unless there is more to it than just this change).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Batgurl wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s unreasonable (unless there is more to it than just this change).

I would also not think it unreasonable.

It can actually also be an advantage sometime to have the exact expectations of a role spelled out in black and white. It removes any ambiguity on what exactly is expected from you, and makes it a lot easier for you to argue that you have done a gone job when it comes to review time, etc.

As an aside I have to say it's very apt that Batgurl replied to you OP :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement