Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insane electricity usage, report a fault.

Options
  • 27-01-2021 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭

I live in a residential house that used to be an office, as such it has a 3 phase connection. Theres four people in the house and we use gas heating , for years we have been paying higher bills which we accounted for 2 under sink water heaters and a hot tub (we have a consumption meter on the hot tub) , we have been getting billed for 1300-1800kwh a month , which is already pretty high at about 4x the national average for a household.  I went out to read the meter which I haven't done in a year since its quite hard to get to , and have now discovered that in a year we have been under-estimated by 29500 units, which would obviously be an additional bill of around 5 grand. 

There is absolutely no way in hell this is possible for a singular house, and is even making me question the already high bills we were paying. What can I do to have this checked and you're absolutely not getting 5 grand or a mad monthly payment while I wait for the outcome. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭maniac2003

I live in a residential house that used to be an office, as such it has a 3 phase connection. Theres four people in the house and we use gas heating , for years we have been paying higher bills which we accounted for 2 under sink water heaters and a hot tub (we have a consumption meter on the hot tub) , we have been getting billed for 1300-1800kwh a month , which is already pretty high at about 4x the national average for a household.  I went out to read the meter which I haven't done in a year since its quite hard to get to , and have now discovered that in a year we have been under-estimated by 29500 units, which would obviously be an additional bill of around 5 grand. 

There is absolutely no way in hell this is possible for a singular house, and is even making me question the already high bills we were paying. What can I do to have this checked and you're absolutely not getting 5 grand or a mad monthly payment while I wait for the outcome. 
    Wow, thats serious could the supply be out of phase I wonder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi there,

Are these gas bills or electricity bills?

Thanks,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Electricity only, the gas is a bottled supply. 

maniac2003 wrote: »

Wow, thats serious could the supply be out of phase I wonder
    How would one check that, esb or electrician ? 

Electricity only, the gas is a bottled supply. 
    Hi there,

Thanks for confirming.

If all is correct with the connection type, the only information the electricity billing company receives, when the meter is read, is the consumption, and billing is automatically based on that. The billing company does not have bearing on the amount of units used - it just charges based on the number of units clocked up on the meter, and if the reading is correct and the consumption excessive, then the wiring needs to be checked by an electrician for an internal fault or mix-up.

If the electrician cannot find an issue, the customer should then contact their provider to arrange a meter inspection by ESB Networks. While this is pending, the customer can request cancellation of a direct debit (ensuring to do so at least a week before the collection date) and pay towards their usage manually.

Send us a private message to check the account if you wish (we will require the account number, name, address, telephone number on the account, and please state in the message for GDPR that you are the account-holder.

Thanks again,
    Una

• Advertisement

Thanks, ill get an electrician out, I think the chances of a house having used 39100KWh of electricity in a year are pretty damn slim.

Hi again,

If an ESB Networks meter check is required subsequently, this is arranged through Customer Service on 1800 372 372.

Kind regards,
    Una

Advertisement