Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courtyard plant recommendations

Options
  • 27-01-2021 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

I've got a courtyard that is shady and wet (no earth to plant in, just concrete). I would LOVE to have a jungle-esque area to look out on but one that is low maintenance as it is a bit awkward to access.

Any container plant recommendations?

Ps. Would appreciate plants that don't lose their leaves too much. I bought a nice tall bamboo nigra last summer but omg there's leaves everywhere...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭rje66

For architectural type texture try Fatsia japonica, Dicksonia antartica, Phormium tenax, dwarf pi es, mix in some grasses. If possible cover area with gravel add a few rocks, get some lighting and you have a lovely little garden. BUT anything in containers will need regular watering or an irrigation system. Is it a large area??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If it is shady and wet - ferns. Large graceful arching fronds, down to bright little harts-tongue, huge selection and the great majority will be happy in damp shade (there are just a few that prefer dryer conditions so check the descriptions/labels.)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

Perfect! Thanks so much for the recommendations! Ferns and grasses it is! It's about 6x8' but it seems to be a bit of a rain trap so watering isn't a huge issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Hostas are idea and can look good in those situations.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement