Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee bicycle

Options
  • 27-01-2021 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Any advice on these or importing one from China("retro coffee bicycle")?
    Would anyone recommend a supplier via Aliexpress.
    Looking at one with 250W electric motor as these bikes(well trikes really)seem very heavy at 150kg net weight to 250kg gross with espresso machine, water containers and myself, cyclist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Any advice on these or importing one from China("retro coffee bicycle")?
    Would anyone recommend a supplier via Aliexpress.
    Looking at one with 250W electric motor as these bikes(well trikes really)seem very heavy at 150kg net weight to 250kg gross with espresso machine, water containers and myself, cyclist.

So would not just use a thermos flag !!

Are you talking about one of these ?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32889796141.html?_randl_currency=EUR&_randl_shipto=IE&src=google&albch=apprmkt&albagn=182499396&albcp=6813771551&albag=82450641831&albad=389309291944&aff_short_key=irey5Th&isdl=y&aff_platform=true&albslr=%7B%7D&gclid=CjwKCAiAu8SABhAxEiwAsodSZI4g2EumRe5njwGVU6uMQLbQ-AQsPIxMXwbuZGI4dDcbuXsbk6GzjxoCg3cQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sopranosending

Hye Ted1,
    Yep, it's the very same one.
    I'm trying not to go down the Thermos route as I'm hoping to make a serious go at this as a business and there is a hell of alot of competition out there already for good quality mobile coffee vendors.
    Getting a permit, casual trading licence etc. more difficult too as everyone who's anyone is moving into this field.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Best of luck, there was a guy who done similar up at the viewing point awhile back and it seemed to do OK from a passer by perspective. Although I suspect he may have had stuff dropped up to him eg water and supplies but I could be wrong and fair play if i am. Also make sure you have scouted ideal locations, and what do you really need to carry to make this successful, it doesn't look like it will hold much when you add in all the ancillaries you need for a successful coffee business.

You're right CramCycle.
    The potential for overweighing the bike/trike is real.Will have to consider also even the slightest of gradients.A 250W pedal assist is unrealistic to me for something this size.
    Will continue mulling before I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

My only advice would be to familiarize yourself with the Casual Trading bye-laws for the County you intend selling in.

Edit: I see you have referenced this. Crucially important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I would be concerned about CE certification on the battery and motor and indeed about the battery and motor themselves.
    I would also be concerned about taxes and import duty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You're right CramCycle.
    The potential for overweighing the bike/trike is real.Will have to consider also even the slightest of gradients.A 250W pedal assist is unrealistic to me for something this size.
    Will continue mulling before I buy.

Notice there's been a mobile coffee stand at the Hellfire carpark over the last while. I seriously doubt the 250W pedal assist would be much use getting up that hill, but the carparks for any hill walking sites I've been to near to Dublin are currently jammers (e.g. Hellfire, Tribradden, Cruagh). Best of luck with it.

I agree.Those bylaws can be tricky at best.Won't pull the trigger 'till I get a green light.

Apparently, the motor will be CE certified but what brand of motor will be fitted?VAT will be whatever it is now 23% and also freight costs will be high, not to mention forgetting about after sales service.

I agree.A 250W with that weight will be next to useless on a hill.
    Must do some lateral thinking on that one(transport it on a trailer and not bother with a motor).Tired just thinking about it.
    First thing will be to get my trading licence application granted then I'll see what's what.

• Advertisement

You will also have customs duty as well as VAT on the bike, possibly an anti dumping charge. You then have to figure out how to get a coffee system integrated and working, do you need to carry a generator or a gas heater an so on.
    I really hope it works out but my only other recommendation other than being prepared for the customs hit (and it will be high), is sitting down, write down where you want to go and sell coffee and then what do you need to bring with you to sell enough coffee to make it worthwhile. Coffee maker, what runs it, water, how much to make it viable, milk (UHT so you don't need a fridge), cups, bins for waste, will you carry confectionary or pastries.
    Lastly, based on the weight of that thing and the cost, would you be better starting from scratch, buying a trike/cargo bike inside the EU and hand designing and getting someone to build exactly what you want. The weight of that alone without what you need to carry will mean that you are going to get a decent workout climbing anywhere and I wouldn't be comfy coming down any steep hills at much more than walking pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I looked into thos with a pal a couple of years ago. You'd probably want the guts of 10k to get sorted. However a trip onto donedeal would have you something like this https://www.donedeal.ie/businessopportunities-for-sale/turnkey-coffee-cart-food-van/26933576

Sage advice there CramCycle.Permits, hidden import charges, net,gross weights and places to pitch.Will be doing alot of homework alright and wont rush headlong into anything.

10K sounds about right LollipopJim.
    Always amazes me how the cost of the initial outlay(ballpark 2-2500Euro from China)spirals upwards when reality bites off a chunk of your dream but forewarned is forewarned.
    Appreciate the Donedeal link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I agree.A 250W with that weight will be next to useless on a hill.

I dare to disagree.

A 250W Bosch motor has absolutely no problem with pulling me and two kids in a trailer (approx. 170kg altogether) up to Sally Gap and back.

Or via Enniskerry to Roundwood, with camping gear extra.

Hye Alek,
    That's a reassurance.
    I do know Bosch have great torque for 250W.
    However this tricycle is 150kg net and I'm guessing I'll have to load another 100kg onto it(myself+water+gas+coffee machine+ancilliaries).Won't be using a generator.
    I see myself loading it all into a small trailer with ramp,towing it to a pitch area,reassemble and just pedal about.
    Procedure becoming no different to hauling a bog standard catering van but no genny noise and for me more aesthetically pleasing as I love all things bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how do you power the coffee machine without a generator?

It's possible to get coffee machines powered by gas and/or electricity.
    Can use an inverter battery for the grinder(or get a manual one).
    I better not promote businesses here but there are coffee bike/trike operators that do just this.
    You're probably limited to medium demand coffee dispensing with gas though,which by the way has to be certified installed correctly.
    Refrigeration for milk is another issue to consider.You may get away with a cooler but Health and Safety could be on to you.

Refrigeration for milk is another issue to consider.You may get away with a cooler but Health and Safety could be on to you.

UHT, which is widely used by many coffee shops can be stored at room temperature for months, I wouldn't look at anything else. It tastes awful as milk but in coffee, and I worked as a barista in my youth, no one notices unless they see it despite what people claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

CramCycle wrote: »
    UHT, which is widely used by many coffee shops can be stored at room temperature for months, I wouldn't look at anything else. It tastes awful as milk but in coffee, and I worked as a barista in my youth, no one notices unless they see it despite what people claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

However this tricycle is 150kg net and I'm guessing I'll have to load another 100kg onto it(myself+water+gas+coffee machine+ancilliaries)

Whoa! Fair play :)

Yep, dreading the first go on it.will I turn the pedal or will the pedal turn me?

New one on me CramCycle.Will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

CramCycle wrote: »

Many people don’t like UHT, it’s cheap and miserable. Also rules out selling hot chocolate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife bought some at the start of first lockdown, for use in tea and coffee, and said there's shag all difference in taste when used like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yep, dreading the first go on it.will I turn the pedal or will the pedal turn me?

Your going to need a car/van to haul water and other supplies. How long will you be able to serve if you just use what you can load on the bike and how far is it to get a refill? How long will a gas canister last, can you carry a 2nd on the bike. If you have to leave to get water/gas you'll loose customers, how will you secure the bike when you leave?, and paying someone to bring it will mean less profits.

Just put the bike on a trailer and ditch the engine.

Hye Del2005,
    Am seriously considering a bike minus engine now.Could be hassle at customs with the engine and can always retrofit afterwards.
    Agree with all your thoughts and questions re. logistics.Plan was to stay within site of the car and trailor and restock from them accordingly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, this was nicely timed.

Fair play Magic,
    Gonna eat mor weetabix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Mightn't be of any help to the OP, but I see An Post now have e-trikes for delivering parcels with a HUGE box. I wonder what motors they have?

Advertisement