Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working from home ... sugestions for window legde plants

Options
  • 27-01-2021 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    working from home and have turned the box room into an office space. I have a lovely vintage wooden chair and a live edge desk (a pippy oak slab that has been darkened to a mahogany tone) but want to get some plants in the space to brighten it up. My window ledge is facing westerly so when there is sun (seldom) it comes in through the window... any suggestions at all would be great as I want to fill up the window ledge.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

My office is northfacing so I'm hoping the lego bonsai tree and bouquets come back into stock.

On the window below the office (also northfacing but easier to reach), I have various succulents, a gasteria, some out of control sansieveria sp I got in ikea yeeears ago (it's bent over from reaching the top of the window!) and a lovely crassual of some sort (star shaped with lovely flowers)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The ordinary-ist and best - a spider plant - chlorophytum. Nice fresh variegated green, doesn't mind where it lives, is practically unkillable and produces graceful arching stems of babies for your entertainment!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've planted various random seeds from the kitchen in pots on my window ledge with good success. Current favourite is the avacado seen below, with a few shoots from clemantines and a random tomato from last year in the same pot. I get a real buzz of seeing what sprouts and what doesn't. Not sure which will be viable to keep indoors, I've moved a few apple trees from last year outdoors with the intention of passing onto my sister in-law who is starting a small orchard. Hoping the avacado can remain indoors in a large pot with constrained roots as I find it really pretty. Doubt I'll ever see any fruit, but who knows.

Tomatoes and chillies are fun to get started on the window ledge but get quite big and need to be shifted outside in the summer.

541170.jpg

Advertisement