Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop refusing to refund or replace microwave

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TK Lemon

Popped up to the store today and they had a look at the microwave and they saw where the sprocket had scorched and melted into where it’s being held. They were confused why we were told the warranty wouldn’t cover it.
    They replaced the microwave with a similar one and gave us a new two year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭cml387

Go "Antipodean electrical retailer" Go!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

colm_mcm wrote:
    See the question mark at the end? It was a question rather than a statement.

It's a very relevant question too. I'm not suggesting op did anything wrong but if it was used incorrectly then obviously all of the other advice is pointless.

Good question imo. It's been answered by op so that's the end of it but still a relevant question

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

L1011 wrote:
    I'm fairly sure they were just referring to, without naming, a notable retailer with a significant physical presence here.

I wonder if they have a sale on at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Legit_ie

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Popped up to the store today and they had a look at the microwave and they saw where the sprocket had scorched and melted into where it’s being held. They were confused why we were told the warranty wouldn’t cover it.
    They replaced the microwave with a similar one and gave us a new two year warranty.

Yep - always go direct to store in first instance - it's too easy for someone to pawn you off on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So basically the microwave broke because it was used incorrectly?

Possibly the plate was not centred on the turntable. This could cause the turntable to become lopsided causing a jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

So the initial answer was on the phone?

Possibly it was explained incorrectly. The person on the phone should have directed the op to the store.

Bad phone service, good store service

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cerco wrote: »
    Possibly the plate was not centred on the turntable. This could cause the turntable to become lopsided causing a jam.

Note.

Jammed or not components don't melt. They don't require to move round and round to cool them down.

Either faulty manufacturing or there was another non component source on the component that caused the damage.

People seem to think the wheels have to go around to stop the thing melting......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

listermint wrote: »
    Note.

Jammed or not components don't melt. They don't require to move round and round to cool them down.

Either faulty manufacturing or there was another non component source on the component that caused the damage.

People seem to think the wheels have to go around to stop the thing melting......

Think about how this problem evolved with the ultimate result. Can you describe any series of mechanical events which could support your contention?
    I suggest the plate was not centred on the turntable which cause jamming
    I would suggest the drive gear was damaged by friction caused by the turntable jamming and the drive attempting to turn the gear against the socket in the jammed turntable. Seems to me a plausible explanation. Can you picture an alternative course of events?

Advertisement