Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mark IV GTI Golf - engine rebuild/replacement

Options
  • 27-01-2021 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Folks,
    I'm looking for someone who would be able to rebuild/replace the engine in my 2002 1.8T GTI Golf. The timing belt went bust on it a while back so its either an engine rebuild (preferably not as more expensive) or engine replacement. I would also consider upgrading some of the engine parts too while its open.
    Any help or contacts in the general mid-west to east region much appreciated.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Replace the engine with a used low mileage one. Engine rebuilds if done properly are expensive.

Sorry I cannot help you with someone who could do the work but any mechanic can replace a engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Natediddlyd

Replace the engine with a used low mileage one. Engine rebuilds if done properly are expensive.

Sorry I cannot help you with someone who could do the work but any mechanic can replace a engine.

Thanks for this. I had figured. Where best to find an engine? Also, would a 20v fit if it was a 16v?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Thanks for this. I had figured. Where best to find an engine? Also, would a 20v fit if it was a 16v?

That could get very messy, you'd be better trying to get like for like.
    Try someone like Traynors in the north for an engine. I know it's an age old saying but they're never the same once rebuilt. Have you stripped the engine yet? Maybe, just maybe you could get away with a head rebuild. No harm in looking at this stage.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That could get very messy, you'd be better trying to get like for like.
    Try someone like Traynors in the north for an engine. I know it's an age old saying but they're never the same once rebuilt. Have you stripped the engine yet? Maybe, just maybe you could get away with a head rebuild. No harm in looking at this stage.

Thank you! Is there anywhere to check if its 20v or 16v? I ask because logbook says 16 but there's a 20v badge on the engine cover. Its a jap import golf so not sure if there was some fudgery by the person who brought it in for tax and insurance reasons

As an update to this, I got Dan Daly Engines in Dunshaughlin to do a top half engine rebuild. Honestly excellent, so delighted with it and couldn't recommend them enough. Going back in 4/5 weeks for an engine "check-up".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭CoBo55

As an update to this, I got Dan Daly Engines in Dunshaughlin to do a top half engine rebuild. Honestly excellent, so delighted with it and couldn't recommend them enough. Going back in 4/5 weeks for an engine "check-up".

That's brilliant thanks for the update.

Advertisement