Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High frequency/volume for lagging arms?

• 27-01-2021 7:53pm
    Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭

Has anyone had success bringing up a lagging body part by drastically increasing the volume/frequency with which they train it for a mesocycle or two?

Feel my arms are lagging behind the rest of my body. I understand progressive overload and the need to be in a caloric surplus btw just curious to hear some anecdotes.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

My arms are not massive but I've made steady progress.

Direct arm training with isolation work on upper body days is a given, but I do a fair bit of high volume other upper body work that involves the triceps to a large degree and that has helped a lot. Dips, sets of push-ups and sometimes I'm even doing a main lift bench variation that kills the triceps like pin benching or some other kind of end range of motion training. All of that added up, and I feel like a bigger tricep accounts for a lot of of any added mass that makes an arm look bigger. Whereas maybe people have a tendency to think bigger arms is all about training the biceps...

For the bicep there is a corollary to the tricep stuff I mention above. I personally don't do it because I have an issue with recurring elbow tendinitis, but someone doing a lot of palms in / supinated chin ups might see that help bicep growth alongside their bicep isolation work.

After that, for the isolation work itself, all the usual stuff applies: Strict form, full range of motion, and there is in my view a case to be made for mixing up your approach. I do heavy curls in the 6-10 rep range, and heavy lying tricep extensions, but I also do really high rep, high volume work and sometimes use protocols like rest pause and similar. I do think that whatever you're doing for accessories like this then there is a good case to be made for going close or too failure. If it's three isolation sets at the end of an upper body workout then you better really go for it, and journal what you're doing, and try to progress it somehow.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

My arms are not massive but I've made steady progress.

Direct arm training with isolation work on upper body days is a given, but I do a fair bit of high volume other upper body work that involves the triceps to a large degree and that has helped a lot. Dips, sets of push-ups and sometimes I'm even doing a main lift bench variation that kills the triceps like pin benching or some other kind of end range of motion training. All of that added up, and I feel like a bigger tricep accounts for a lot of of any added mass that makes an arm look bigger. Whereas maybe people have a tendency to think bigger arms is all about training the biceps...

For the bicep there is a corollary to the tricep stuff I mention above. I personally don't do it because I have an issue with recurring elbow tendinitis, but someone doing a lot of palms in / supinated chin ups might see that help bicep growth alongside their bicep isolation work.

After that, for the isolation work itself, all the usual stuff applies: Strict form, full range of motion, and there is in my view a case to be made for mixing up your approach. I do heavy curls in the 6-10 rep range, and heavy lying tricep extensions, but I also do really high rep, high volume work and sometimes use protocols like rest pause and similar. I do think that whatever you're doing for accessories like this then there is a good case to be made for going close or too failure. If it's three isolation sets at the end of an upper body workout then you better really go for it, and journal what you're doing, and try to progress it somehow.

Good points. Yeah started tracking everything now, obviously would of known what reps i was achieving on main lifts etc but it's harder to remember whether you got 8 or 9 reps on your 3rd set of biceps curls last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

More work will equal more growth as long you can recover from it. Upping the frequency is an easy way of spreading the volume out. I increased my pull-up strength by over 30% a couple years ago by working up to doing them every day.

I would avoid a drastic increase though, as that tends to make developing an overuse injury more likely. If you currently train arms twice per week then try going to three days, not five.

Advertisement