Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kicker snap help

Options
  • 27-01-2021 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi
    I have noticed when I am using my snap on Zwift and climbing and change gear my power drops and take a while to come up again and my candace does not change that much. I do a spin down before each session, check tyre pressure before each ride. This happens to on flats when change gear but not as much any one have d same problem. See attached snap shoot of a ride

[

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

That happens for me every time I change gear, there is a short drop in power for a few seconds before getting back to whereever you were previously. I notice this particularly in ERG mode. When I'm in ERG mode I tend to just cycle in one gear as there is no real need to change gear. In simulation mode where you are just riding around in Zwift you do have to change just like in real life. I think this is just a limitation of wheel on trainers in general. One thing I did find was that for ERG mode certain gears were better than others for hitting the full range of power ouitput needed on a session. Hitting the highest power was never a problem, more hitting the lowest one. With too much gearing you might find that you spin at higher power than required.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Thanks for that, so do you think if i bought power meter peddles would this stop this form happening or would i need to buy a drive on turbo?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Just change gears less ;-). Buying power meter pedals sounds like an expensive fix. Honestly I don't know how to get around this, maybe someone else here will have a suggestion. Actually one thing you might want to play around with is the power averaging function on Zwift. Set it to the 3 second average and it should smooth out the jumpiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭nilhg

Your power drops when you change gear, whether on a wheel on trainer, direct drive trainer or outside on the road, you just don't notice it unless you are sitting looking at the figures. In real life your momentum carries you till you spin back up, in the cartoon worlds they should model this and do, some better than others, if you have a look through the Zwift competitors websites they all claim better physics than the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Known limitation with the snap, it can't manage high/much resistance at low flywheel speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Threadjack: My SNAP just arrived. The dingbats in Wahoo shipped it with a broken QR skewer so its sitting there mocking me. Anyone using a thru ax willing to sell me their QR?

NB: Snap is specific, CORE/KICKR ones arent compatible.

Advertisement