Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swinford

Options
  • 27-01-2021 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for directions from miltown in galway to swinford, I Google mapped it but I dont fully trust maps as it tries to bring me down some pretty shiītty roads, maps is bringing me into kilkelly and out the r375, would that route be ok or would i be better off going into charlestown or what way would ye recommend, I'll be in an artic with cattle trailer so dont need back roads, obviously don't know that area at all, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blue Badger

Driving from your perspective is not something I've ever had to consider before but I have driven the R375 quite a lot (is great craic on the ups and downs) and can tell you that the road surface itself isn't so bad; if it's surface you're concerned about then I wouldn't worry. You could open up street view on Google and follow the road for a bit before judging yourself.

Staying on the N17 to where it connects with the N5 before then cutting back West to Swinford like you suggest could well be the safest option unless someone here can advise otherwise. I'd say you're only adding 10km or so to your journey but despite that additional distance it may only take an extra ten minutes of your time before reaching Swinford. In terms of not worrying and ensuring wide space and easy turns could be the best choice.

You'd also not have to drive through Kilkelly itself which can be a busy street to navigate with the turns and parking that goes on there. Tbh I'm typically more worried about going through that village than the road on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Driving from your perspective is not something I've ever had to consider before but I have driven the R375 quite a lot (is great craic on the ups and downs) and can tell you that the road surface itself isn't so bad; if it's surface you're concerned about then I wouldn't worry. You could open up street view on Google and follow the road for a bit before judging yourself.

Staying on the N17 to where it connects with the N5 before then cutting back West to Swinford like you suggest could well be the safest option unless someone here can advise otherwise. I'd say you're only adding 10km or so to your journey but despite that additional distance it may only take an extra ten minutes of your time before reaching Swinford. In terms of not worrying and ensuring wide space and easy turns could be the best choice.

You'd also not have to drive through Kilkelly itself which can be a busy street to navigate with the turns and parking that goes on there. Tbh I'm typically more worried about going through that village than the road on the other side.

Hi, road surface is not an issue I just dont want to be brought down single lane back roads, if it's a main road from kilkelly to swinford I might chance it

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blue Badger

Ah yeah, you're fine so. It's certainly no single-lane road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Hi, road surface is not an issue I just dont want to be brought down single lane back roads, if it's a main road from kilkelly to swinford I might chance it

If you are driving an arctic go the N17/N5 route, very good roads, no delays and probably wont take more than a couple of minutes longer

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I think I'll play it safe and hook up to the n5 off the n17, I've often found the longer route on better roads is faster than taking the narrow roads for less kilometres, many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

You're right, the road from Kilkelly to Swinford wouldn't be hectic either. 2 lane road but no hard shoulder really

Advertisement