Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Watch Advice

• 27-01-2021 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hey Folks, looking for a bit of advice on a new watch.

I currently have a Polar M400 watch (old) that I use everyday, more so just to give the number of steps I do a day, calories burnt and give me an idea of how much sleep I get.

I go for 5km run's on & off and use the watch to record the run along with a strapped heart monitor that came with the watch to see what my HR was.

I am looking to get a new watch, something that ideally can do the following (in no particular order):
    1. Record steps, calories burnt throughout the day & sleep
    2. Possibly play music so I don't have to carry a phone to play music when running. Ideally I don't have to pay for the music, so in other words I could upload MP3 files or so to the watch.
    3. Solid & reliable GPS signal & if it had a decent HR monitor inbuilt or comes with it, that would be good too.

Can anyone provide some recommendations please?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

Im not aware of any watches that allow you to upload music to them to be honest. They may exist, just never heard of them.
    Most these days use spotify etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

event wrote: »
    Im not aware of any watches that allow you to upload music to them to be honest. They may exist, just never heard of them.
    Most these days use spotify etc

I think the garmin 645m will allow u to transfer music files as well as using Spotify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

Any of the Garmin watches that support music allow you to upload music from your PC. I use one myself in fact.

You can also use Spotify (if you have an account) but it will download the playlist in advance as none of them support streaming.

List is here.

Every day is a school day.

Have the 645M myself but use spotify

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Thanks all, I don't listen to music enough to justify paying for Spotify & I have music on my PC that I could transfer to the watch.

So looks like I should be looking in the direction of a Garmin & moving away from a Polar.

If I wanted to run 5km in say 20mins is it possible on a Garmin watch to have it tell me during the first km if I need to run faster to do a 4min km? So, in effect tell me ( with a voice maybe) that I am in the correct average time, time zone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Thanks all, I don't listen to music enough to justify paying for Spotify & I have music on my PC that I could transfer to the watch.

So looks like I should be looking in the direction of a Garmin & moving away from a Polar.

If I wanted to run 5km in say 20mins is it possible on a Garmin watch to have it tell me during the first km if I need to run faster to do a 4min km? So, in effect tell me ( with a voice maybe) that I am in the correct average time, time zone?

You can set alerts for things like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

I think the Garmin 245 music would be perfect. I have it myself and it does exactly what you are looking for. A small bit cheaper than the 645 music.

You can set various alerts for pace or heart rate but not with a voice as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

token56 wrote: »
    I think the Garmin 245 music would be perfect. I have it myself and it does exactly what you are looking for. A small bit cheaper than the 645 music.

You can set various alerts for pace or heart rate but not with a voice as far as I'm aware.

I think the 646 music is gone cheaper now. Argos have it for €240

Thank you, I will have a look at this watch.

Would agree there, the 645 is dead to Garmin now whereas the 245 is the current model so will probably see a few bits & pieces software wise for a good while year. Former 645 (non-music) owner myself.

• Advertisement

Big difference in the 2 is that the 245 doesnt have a Barometer. Important if you climb a lot of hills. Not sure if the 245 has Garmin Pay either

Tbh the barometer in the 645 for running was cr*p! Garmin replaced my first one as running a flat path along a river it produced a sawtooth elevation graph & would tell me I'd climbed 100+ flights of stairs after a run. The replacement behaved exactly the same so I just gave up & turned on elevation correction in Garmin Connect.

Someone asked DCR a similar question recently.
    The FR245. The one main exception being baro altimeter and Garmin Pay. Otherwise though, the FR245 is a far more capable watch from a sports standpoint.

Is there a better/more modern version of the Garmin 245 Music out there?

Does it have an inbuilt heart monitor? (I know it might not be the most accurate on the wrist v a chest strap, but it will be consisent anyway).

I think they all have wrist heart rate now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭CJay1

Does it have an inbuilt heart monitor? (I know it might not be the most accurate on the wrist v a chest strap, but it will be consisent anyway).

Jaysus...very easy to find the information yourself. Fair enough asking people about personal preferences/ experiences, but come on..that's just lazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

645/745/945 from Garmin

CJay1 wrote: »
    Jaysus...very easy to find the information yourself. Fair enough asking people about personal preferences/ experiences, but come on..that's just lazy

It's a forum you ****ing arsehole where people seek advice etc.

That's not seeking advice though

CJay1 wrote: »
    That's not seeking advice though

Yes it is, asking can anyone advise on whether there is a better version of a particular watch is clearly seeking advice.

Why would you even be a sad act and post your arsey comment? Life can't be that bad for you.

Yes it is, asking can anyone advise on whether there is a better version of a particular watch is clearly seeking advice.

Why would you even be a sad act and post your arsey comment? Life can't be that bad for you.

Advice v advise

• Advertisement

Screen_Shot_2016-04-20_at_4.22.55_PM.0.0.png

/thread

Advertisement