Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could of would of

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

If somebody can't learn a few rules of grammar, it's hard to take what they post seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I had a job for an organisation in the UK that got feedback that their letters were too legalistic for ordinary people. So they went the other extreme. From that point on we had to write "couldnt've", "shouldnt've", "wouldnt've" because the words "could not have" would be overly formal and intimidating for an ordinary person and the tone needs to be more conversational so as not to scare them. I have never seen anything as patronising.

An interesting point. Some psychologist believe that non-truthful people are less likely to use contractions and apparently has been used in as an aide investigating crimes in the US.

Example
    Liars Never Use Contractions

Liars avoid shortening sentences with contractions. "I did not," often replaces a more natural "I didn't." So, the next time you get caught having an affair, say "I didn't have sexual relations with that woman" instead of "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

:D

https://www.laurieayers.com/i-am-not-lying-about-contractions/

https://mind-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/10-surefire-ways-spot-liar-and-tell-better-lies-yourself-0155036/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Incorrect use of "literally"......boils my piss!!

I used it correctly. Its a serious medical condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

.anon. wrote: »
    I used it correctly. Its a serious medical condition.
    I presume your usage of 'its' was because of a medical condition too? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Gammyeye wrote: »
    This boils my p**s completely. Please, to those who write 'of' instead of 'have'
    What is wrong with you? Serious question, do you honestly think it is 'of', or is it just laziness?
    I'm not usually bothered by something like this but I just see it so regularly now.

To be honest when i hear people complaining about something as trivial as this i feel sorry for them and wonder are they short on hobbies. Its like an old lady complaining because her bill is 1 euro more than it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Which? Which...which....which......

yaaah it’s what you cùnt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mfceiling wrote: »
    There their they're.

Their "they're there" dare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭HBC08

At the end of at its a doggy dog world.

I presume your usage of 'its' was because of a medical condition too? :pac:

That was correct to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭rapul

Should of could of would of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

I find that obvious mistakes don't annoy me that much.

What I hate is when someone uses the word 'disinterested' when they mean 'uninterested'.

You see this everywhere now. Aggh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

It is not just being pedantic. Spelling and grammatical errors on your CV create an impression of carelessness, and lack of attention to detail. Just what a prospective employer is looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

growleaves wrote: »

What I hate is when someone uses the word 'disinterested' when they mean 'uninterested'.

Maybe they think they had a vested interest ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

growleaves wrote: »

Language evolves all the time. No point in getting annoyed about it, because there is nothing you can do to stop that happening.

Usage Note: In traditional usage, disinterested can only mean "having no stake in an outcome," as in Since the judge stands to profit from the sale of the company, she cannot be considered a disinterested party in the dispute. But despite critical disapproval, disinterested has come to be widely used to mean "uninterested" or "having lost interest," as in Since she discovered skiing, she's become disinterested in ice skating. The "not interested" meaning is actually the oldest sense of the word, going back to the 1600s. Despite its pedigree, this usage began to be considered an error in the 1900s.

Greyfox wrote: »
    To be honest when i hear people complaining about something as trivial as this i feel sorry for them and wonder are they short on hobbies. Its like an old lady complaining because her bill is 1 euro more than it should be.

Declension (present tense) of the verb "of":

I of
    You of
    He/she/it as
    We of
    They of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

So I could of literally dyed of embarsment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hamburgham

mfceiling wrote: »
    There their they're.

This and your/ you’re are so basic that I genuinely don’t know how people can leave school after 14 years not knowing this. Do teachers not teach this any more.If I was a teacher, no matter what subjects I taught, I would make sure the kids knew this.

Incidentally and not surprisingly, I don’t see non nationals at work making this mistake. They have obviously been taught.

"They have obviously been taught. "
    I have noticed recently, while listening to the radio, that some people seem to use "thaught" not "taught" . Another howler is "adopt" where they mean "adapt", "unchartered" where it should be "uncharted". I also hear "thaoiseach" not "taoiseach". These blunders are prevalent, even in published material, eg. newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

You’re misunderestimating (go George) the impact of predictive text and lazy fingers. I think a lot of people have gained bad habits from text speak. It drives me nuts too. Maybe I’m just too old for this sh:te

It is not just being pedantic. Spelling and grammatical errors on your CV create an impression of carelessness, and lack of attention to detail. Just what a prospective employer is looking for.

I don't really care as long as it is readable. A lot of non native English speakers have formal grammatical mistakes in their applications, definite articles are a rare beast for Eastern Europeans. I don't really care.

I'd be less forgiving for seen, or there, or your used incorrectly.
    hamburgham wrote: »
    This and your/ you’re are so basic that I genuinely don’t know how people can leave school after 14 years not knowing this. Do teachers not teach this any more.If I was a teacher, no matter what subjects I taught, I would make sure the kids knew this.

Incidentally and not surprisingly, I don’t see non nationals at work making this mistake. They have obviously been taught.

I agree. And what is even worse is people using there incorrectly and they're and their incorrectly. They know how to spell the words, they know that there are different usages but haven't learned how to use them. Nobody should leave primary school without this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

One I've seen recently especially in the Covid threads is Contract Tracing, what the hell is that? Its Contact Tracing.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Of, off
    Then, than
    To, too, two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

One I've seen recently especially in the Covid threads is Contract Tracing, what the hell is that? Its Contact Tracing.

When people are contracted to trace a contract with tracing paper and a pencil.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

But were not talking about a CV here, were talking about boards/emails/social media.

Prostrate cancer, is that caused by lying down ?:confused:

But were we're not talking about a CV here, were talking about boards/emails/social media.

FYP

They know how to spell the words, they know that there are different usages but haven't learned how to use them. Nobody should leave primary school without this.

In the real world sometimes people forget the things they learn in primary school.

Prostrate cancer, is that caused by lying down ?:confused:

I will never forget decades ago when I was working in Coolock library and a mother came in giving out to me because I had given out to her son for being cheeky. She said " If he was IMPOTENT to ya, you've every right to give out to him, was he IMPOTENT cos I'll gave something to say to him too?" Poor woman meant "Impudent" of course, and she was puzzled as to why I was stifling a giggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

Another one that grinds my gears people talk about thread depth of their tyres..... grrr it’s tread depth, thread is for sewing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

One mistake that I actually like is when people write rest bite instead of respite. You can see where it comes from as someone needing respite from tough times go to someplace where they get a bit of rest and something to eat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Predictive text on phones leads to this mangling of language.

No one cares anymore and just press send.

In the real world sometimes people forget the things they learn in primary school.

I think we need to be reminded in secondary school.

Predictive text on phones leads to this mangling of language.

No one cares anymore and just press send.

Some of us ducking care, you trick aunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What I can’t figure out is why Paschal Donoghue keeps saying that he will ‘respond back’ to people.

No need for the ‘back’ surely ?

On another note:

When did this starting sentences with ‘So’ spring from?

This “Can I get” when ordering coffee and take away food.

This use of ‘like’ by folks especially by kids.

Has me awake at night, so it does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

I am rather fond of "I do be", probably a bit of aimsir gnathlaithreach seeping through

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Former Coach

What I can’t figure out is why Paschal Donoghue keeps saying that he will ‘respond back’ to people.

No need for the ‘back’ surely ?

On another note:

When did this starting sentences with ‘So’ spring from?

This “Can I get” when ordering coffee and take away food.

This use of ‘like’ by folks especially by kids.

Has me awake at night, so it does

This....

Tig98 wrote: »
    I am rather fond of "I do be", probably a bit of aimsir gnathlaithreach seeping through

The auld ‘Bím’ is it?

Another one or two rearing their ugly heads are:

‘Cer-em-oamies for ‘ceremonies.

‘To-woards’ instead of ‘towards’

Don’t get me going on the ‘Nooze’ for ‘News’.

It’s a jungle out there...!

A few amusing malapropisms I have seen ;

Rubex cubes (Rubik's)
    Terminal underwear (Thermal)
    Please bare with us, while we are rearranging this section

(underneath someone had written "ooh you are naughty, yes please) !!!

• Advertisement

Has to be never learning, not forgetting. Grammar is something you do every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭French Toast

I've noticed swap is misspelled as swop quite frequently.

Misuse of loose/lose.

Your / you're.

Absolute cluelessness about apostrophes in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Not knowing the difference between your and you're is worse, I think.

Someone wrote recently as a form of insult,

"Your very stupid"!

Your wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Has to be never learning, not forgetting. Grammar is something you do every day.

A lot of people didn't learn, thats the thing. My father's generation of men > 50, particularly in the countryside, were never exposed to that kind of education. Many more of them have very poor literary on top of it all. The children reared in these houses will likely borrow phrases from their parents, even when they're educated and know better.

I get its a grievance, especially when written incorrectly, but languages shouldn't be put under such conformity. As long as people convey their point I don't really mind.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'm dyslexic, I 'll make a note, annoying folks on the internets can be fun

I generally don't care about spelling/typos etc on the internet. I'm not writing a novel etc and a lot of people are typing on devices that make it harder. That's before you get to the point you don't actually know the authors situation either.

Christ, I make that many mistakes myself my autocorrect corrects into the wrong thing half the time. I need to go and delete works from it every so often as the mistakes just get compounded.

Bad grammar/punctuation.. that's a little bit different as it can lead to confusion.

Tig98 wrote: »
    A lot of people didn't learn, thats the thing. My father's generation of men > 50, particularly in the countryside, were never exposed to that kind of education. Many more of them have very poor literary on top of it all. The children reared in these houses will likely borrow phrases from their parents, even when they're educated and know better.

I get its a grievance, especially when written incorrectly, but languages shouldn't be put under such conformity. As long as people convey their point I don't really mind.

I have seen an increase in this usage in recent years. Plenty of the posters are obviously young enough.

I am not into total conformity either, as I said I don't care if definite articles are dropped, it's clear we don't really need them. And I don't care about could of, that's more or less a homophone. But their, there, they're is easily taught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

Its not just the 'could/ would of .." .. "i loosed my purse yesterday" etc

- its also the fact that folk can be bothered proofing texts / posts before sending .. - theyre too bone lazy to read back what they've just written - and i don't mean checking just for spelling

- they don't consider the reader .. or even their own mssge being misinterpreted

Thats summat the really flummoxes me .. i mean, dont you care that the person youre sending to understands you ?

Alfred123 wrote: »
    Its not just the 'could/ would of .." .. "i loosed my purse yesterday" etc

- its also the fact that folk can be bothered proofing texts / posts before sending .. - theyre too bone lazy to read back what they've just written - and i don't mean checking just for spelling

- they don't consider the reader .. or even their own mssge being misinterpreted

Thats summat the really flummoxes me .. i mean, dont you care that the person youre sending to understands you ?

I seen what you done their. i almost taken it srlsy! Could of had egg on my face!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's just people using the sounds of the phrase to misspell the words so would've becomes /'wʊdəv/ which sounds the same as sort of /'sɔːtəv/. People assume the /əv/ sound is the same as of and spell 've that way. It's fossilisation of language where uncorrected errors become a standard form for people. "I seen" and "I done" are other examples of this. If there's anything to blame it was the the start of the abandonment of grammar teaching for not being fun, somewhere in the 70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's just people using the sounds of the phrase to misspell the words so would've becomes /'wʊdəv/ which sounds the same as sort of /'sɔːtəv/.
    I don't know about anybody else but there's no way I'd ever pronounce a standalone "of" the same as the end of "would've". Two totally different sounds for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Alun wrote: »
    I don't know about anybody else but there's no way I'd ever pronounce a standalone "of" the same as the end of "would've". Two totally different sounds for me.
    It's not unusual for it to be the much same sound if spoken quickly and it depends where it is. My point is more that it's an example of uncorrected mistakes and people not knowing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement