Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Gates Potential Tip

Options
  • 28-01-2021 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place but anyway. I have had problem with my Security gates, last time was 2k fix. It is boxes which are sunk into the ground and guy said they fill up with leaves and gunk.

Anyway it has annoyed me how to stop it, found this stuff on amazon and said I would try it, normally for a garage door. I have tarmac so I put this down. Used a full tube of sealant on each side https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I9HAGBO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even last night with very heavy rain it blocked it all, now the boxes are not bone dry or anything but before they would be completely flooded and full of stuff which the rain had washed in. Might be useful to someone, might not but thought I would share

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Thank you for that, there is absolutely nothing wrong here with sharing good advice and being helpful, that is what this thread is all about.

I am just wondering, your experience seems a bit extreme. Are your motor foundation boxes fitted flush with the tarmac ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

kub wrote: »
    Thank you for that, there is absolutely nothing wrong here with sharing good advice and being helpful, that is what this thread is all about.

I am just wondering, your experience seems a bit extreme. Are your motor foundation boxes fitted flush with the tarmac ?

The driveway is tarmac and kind of funnels to the gate opening. So in rain the water all heads that direction. Using these the water runs around the boxes. and straight out. Doesn't keep them bone dry or anything but a huge amount of water which would hit them is sent out the gate

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

The driveway is tarmac and kind of funnels to the gate opening. So in rain the water all heads that direction. Using these the water runs around the boxes. and straight out. Doesn't keep them bone dry or anything but a huge amount of water which would hit them is sent out the gate

Your boxes should be drained into the sw system, were they installed correctly?

JimmyMW wrote: »
    Your boxes should be drained into the sw system, were they installed correctly?

Obviously I am not the OP but the drainage on a set of gates can be perfect, the issue with rain water is, as it builds and forms a stream it bring silt, leaves and all sorts with it and all of this crap ends up in the foundation boxes, especially if they have not been fitted correctly.

So all that crap stays in the box while the rain water slowly drains away, then it rains again and more crap comes in and it all builds up into a right mess.

That is why people with underground foundation boxes should clean them out or get someone to clean them out regularly.

That sounds so familiar with all the sites I have seen throughout the years, that deflection of the water runs will be a huge help.

When the weather improves you should do a water test on your boxes, just pour in perhaps a water can full into each and see how long it takes the water to drain away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

kub wrote: »
    That sounds so familiar with all the sites I have seen throughout the years, that deflection of the water runs will be a huge help.

When the weather improves you should do a water test on your boxes, just pour in perhaps a water can full into each and see how long it takes the water to drain away.

I must try that

At the moment it is lashing rain here, normally the boxes would be full to brim and water running over them, had a quick look and some water in them alright but not full so as Borat would say "Great success"
    Said I would put it up because it was annoying me on how to stop the water and I just stumbled across those devices

Advertisement