Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire Kids and Brexit

Options
2»

Comments

You need to have it on the whole time for videos only.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

Ahh right.. thanks..

I changed my default address to Auntie Trish's .. but it still wont let me at https://parents.amazon.co.uk/

Says "Edit your Amazon account's default address to use Parent Dashboard."

Does it take a bit of time to propagate or something??

Doing this without the VPN yet mind..

Post edited by vidapura on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Went through this with customer support this morning. I ended up getting a regular Fire tablet so had to get the Kids + Sub fresh. I tried with VPN and kept getting error code. Lad on customer support said Amazons site doesn't play nice with VPN. I have my primary address setup as parcel motel and billing address on revolut card is set to that too but still wasn't working. He updated main address from Ireland to Parcel Motel address, I'm not sure what the difference in this address and the others I had already set to parcel motel are or where on my account its visible, but that sorted the issue for me.

Thanks for all that.. god what a palaver..

So they didn't mind that you were playing puck with addresses?

Why the feck do they have the restriction at all then?

Do I have to go through the same crapola with ringing support as well so?

Which is the Main address? I set the London address up as Default.. is that a different thing??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Its a lot of messing alright. I dont understand their approach to the whole Kids + thing. You can buy a Kids Fire tablet here in Argos and I'm sure you'll run into the same problems trying to activate the free sub thats included.

I have a Revolut card with parcel motel billing address and parcel motel as my default address. I was sure I had that set to default but maybe I missed something. Looked on my account there and I can't see any other place an address is mentioned that would have to be linked.

Once addresses lined up I didnt need VPN to subscribe. Although, as mentioned earlier in thread, I'll need VPN to access the video content.

Customer service didn't seem to care. I work between UK and IE dont ya know so I have no fixed abode in either country and just float between the 2 as the needs fits 😃

• Advertisement

Well, that was a lot less painful than I thought it would be.

Got Amazon to call me and a nice South African fella sorted me out.

No arguments, just spend about 5 mins sorting out my account/address for me.

(in my case I was under an amazon.com setup somehow.. must be from years back)

So now I have access to the parent dashboard webpage and I'm assured my kids+ subscription has been enabled and will be pending for another hour until activation finishes.#

I have to get the table to update as well now so its downloading an update.

Lookin good so far anyway.

Again, no VPN needed for this part.. might need to see about the videos when the Kids+ is fully activated..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I have access to parent dashboard but no kids+ sub and no option to buy one.

I was on the phone to Amazon and they said it isn’t available in Ireland. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

Hi all, going through the motions with Amazon Chat to see if I can get a tablet with the Kids+ working on it.

Just wondering if anyone has had any input on this over the last 10 or so months.

They're telling me I can order the tablet and see if it works, can return it within 30 days if it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

We're toying with getting our kids tablets from Santa, and the Fire kids tablet was looking like the way to go.

Although I guess from this thread, I'll just knock that on the head and get them Samsung Tablet or something? Like I never really got the jist of what would be on this that I couldn't get from a normal tablet? They use my ipad alot for playing some games or watching Disney+ etc.

*EDIT Although is this issue with Kids+, only you cannot access the content on that service, or the whole tablet/UI borks because it cant authenticate?

WOuld have had no intention of getting Kids+ so maybe its still a runner?

Personally i wouldnt get a fire kids again. Theyre just too underpowered. And i found that really frustrating.

Get a decent spec Samsung. More expensive but if there was ever a prime example of penny wise pound foolish its the Fire.

The samsungs have their own kids mode. And there are other parental control options out there too. That's what i thought i was buying with a fire.. But its just not a viable implementation.. I dont care how cheap it is.. Its not worth it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

The only thing with the Fire tabs is no questions asked replacement if broken. I’ve had two replaced, with the only hassle being sending them back via someone going back to the UK (you can’t post them from here).

v frustrating about Kids+

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Would you mind sharing what parental controls you use with the Samsung tablets on top of the Samsung kids' mode?

Just got a Fire which I'll probably be returning given the parental controls page is redirecting me to https://parents.amazon.co.uk/countryNotSupported and I don't want to have to go through the hassle of VPN, changing address and a call to Amazon to get my kid's profile working.

EDIT: Actually a VPN is not required. To get Amazon Kids and parental controls working in Ireland I did this:

1. Changed my default address to a UK address. I think you could make one up. I used an old Parcelmotel UK address that isn't even active anymore because Parcelmotel discontinued that service.
    2. Connect to Amazon customer service on chat. Ask them to update the account's default address to the UK one. Note that even though I had done this myself in my Amazon account settings, I still couldn't access Amazon parental controls until I asked the Amazon chat support rep to do it for me. Also note during the chat they asked where I was currently and I told them Ireland.

The parental controls are good in fairness - I like that you can set it so the kid has to read for x minutes to get y minutes of app time.

Post edited by Caspero on

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mrgg

Worked a treat with a kids eco dot this morning. Santa must have missed the fact Amazon not offering parental controls in Ireland. Just need to make sure to remember to swap back to actual Irish address for any Amazon deliverys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FalseJoe

How long after changing did you gain access to the parental control.

I have been on to support for a while now and they are insisting that the default address has been added however I still do not have access.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 redgerry

Hi FalseJoe

Did you get this sorted? I'm in exactly the same situation at the moment. Have changed the address to UK via customer service but still do not have access to Parental Control or Amazon Kids +.

Any insight or advice appreciated! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 redgerry

Hi FalseJoe

Did you get this sorted? I'm in exactly the same situation at the moment. Have changed the address to UK via customer service but still do not have access to Parental Control or Amazon Kids +.

Any insight or advice appreciated! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I bought my daughter a standard fire tablet 7 last year and created a user account on it for her. I didn't have access kids + or whatever it was, but I could set time limits and shut off times locally on the tablet for this account.

I've updated these limits plenty of times in the last year but today I went to change them and it's saying parental controls are not available in my country.

I'm fairly pissed off that some "update" has removed a feature from the tablet. Like I can understand maybe the kids + parental controls not being a thing here where I can set the limits from other devices, but to remove the ability to set limits on the device itself seems ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

If anyone else comes across this, after several rounds with support they changed my country to the UK and I got access to it again. My default delivery address is still my normal Ireland one, and I hanven't noticed any other impact on the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Sorry for bumping this thread.

I've just seen that the Amazon Fire HD 10 kids tablet launched just yesterday. Looks like a great piece of kit. Perfect for little ones for journeys, rainy days etc..

They only ship to UK though, I know there is an issue with the Amazon kids + (1 year free sub) being geoblocked. Can I ask, is there anyway around this? And if not, is it still of any use here in Ireland without the 1 year subscription?

Our little lad loves playing games, but ads are the absolute killer to be honest. You cannot play a kids game on a regular tablet without ads/requests for payment via app store etc..... so this looked the business.

Anyone any advice?

Advertisement