Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live near Limerick Hospital?

• 28-01-2021 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hi

Not from Limerick but have been tasked with helping a family member to relocate. They will be working in Limerick hospital. Looking to buy 4 bed house.
    Any recommendations to help narrow down location - have looked at Dooradoyle but not a lot available.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Limerick is small and the hospital is very accessible from all parts of the city.
    Dont limit yourself to Dooradoyle/Raheen unless the person plans on only ever walking to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

If they plan on driving to work, it will take them longer to get out of the car park than it would to get from the road outside to Nenagh, so they have a lot of options available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Ballinacurra/South Circular road is lovely and a stones throw. Mungret on the other side is lovely too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Ballinacurra/South Circular road is lovely and a stones throw. Mungret on the other side is lovely too.

Thanks
    I have sent off a list of links to them and included both of those areas

Thanks
    I have sent off a list of links to them and included both of those areas

Dooradoyle/Raheen can be hit and miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    If they plan on driving to work, it will take them longer to get out of the car park than it would to get from the road outside to Nenagh, so they have a lot of options available.

This is no lie, it's very similar to UL in that getting out of their at peak times (change of day shift) can take you an age. Hence, some workers park in the nearby estates to avoid that nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 45 charleshardin

I have lived in Raheen Heights for many years. Where I live about 7 minutes walk from the Hospital and there is also (in non-pandemic times), a bus serivce through ghe estate every ten minutes, which serves UHL on its way into the city.

Quite a few of my neighbours also work in UHL.

Driving to UHL is no problem from most parts of Limerick, but frankly, exiting the car park at UHL on your way home, can be a nightmare, and I have often been stuck for 20 minutes in my attempts to just reach the main road!

Raheen Heights, and opposite it - Meadowvale - are quiet areas, with little traffic, and both are within easy walking distance of three small to medium size shopping centres. and within five minutes driving distance of Crescent Shopping Centre.

However, availability of houses is another matter. On the avenue I live, very few houses have come up for sale in recent years mainly because it is a very settled community, but they do come up, and when they do, prices are reasonable.

As regards Mungret, it is a lovely village, but not really within walking distance of UHL, while the bus service to Mungret is virtually non-existent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Thanks everyone for all the replies, I have forwarded the info. Because of their roles, I think they will be available to avoid the worst of the traffic and car-park times so moving a little farther out may be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭McSween

Dooradoyle/Raheen can be hit and miss.

It is probably the most saleable area in Limerick. I sold houses for 12 years there. Bizarre comment

McSween wrote: »
    It is probably the most saleable area in Limerick. I sold houses for 12 years there. Bizarre comment

It's really not. Some estates have their fair share of issues on the back of regeneration. Some don't. I lived in a few estates in the area in my 20s and some were brilliant, some I couldn't wait to get out of because of regen neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

That's just nonsense. Castletroy would have that title over Raheen any day. In terms of desirability, North & South Circular roads and Ennis road would probably be at the top.

John_Mc wrote: »
    That's just nonsense. Castletroy would have that title over Raheen any day. In terms of desirability, North & South Circular roads and Ennis road would probably be at the top.

Not everybody can afford to live in the areas you mention. Who wouldnt like to live in one of them? They might be more ‘affluent’ areas but if we got a house in Raheen/Dooradoyle it was more or less a guaranteed sale. A nice area but not quite at the prices of NCR etc.

Not everybody can afford to live in the areas you mention. Who wouldnt like to live in one of them? They might be more ‘affluent’ areas but if we got a house in Raheen/Dooradoyle it was more or less a guaranteed sale. A nice area but not quite at the prices of NCR etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Raheem at all. But it's just wrong to say that it's one of the most saleable places in Limerick when it really isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing Raheem at all. But it's just wrong to say that it's one of the most saleable places in Limerick when it really isn't.

Crescent Shopping Centre, hospital and Industrial Estate. This was a hugely attractive area/ market for first time buyers, investors and those looking to rent. I must have been lying when I said I worked in the business. Ask any auctioneer. Properties sold themselves. The investors drove up the prices in all area but Raheen/Dooradoyle didnt have a University beside it with students all over the place.

Crescent Shopping Centre, hospital and Industrial Estate. This was a hugely attractive area/ market for first time buyers, investors and those looking to rent. I must have been lying when I said I worked in the business. Ask any auctioneer. Properties sold themselves. The investors drove up the prices in all area but Raheen/Dooradoyle didnt have a University beside it with students all over the place.

Sorry to burst your bubble as someone in the industry but the houses sell themselves anyway regardless of the auctioneer working it. Having purchased a house last year, the auctioneer is an inconvenience and unnecessary middleman who only adds a layer of friction and obfuscation. Nothing they said made us want the house more or less.

Raheen didn't have a university beside it but does have the crescent, hospital and industrial estate so I think you're contradicting yourself there with that point.

Anyway, Raheen has plenty of cheap houses and nearby employers but you can say the same for Castletroy. There's very few houses for sale in the areas I mentioned so when one comes up at a reasonable price it's not in the market for long. That to me, makes it just as saleable if not more.

Sorry to burst your bubble as someone in the industry but the houses sell themselves anyway regardless of the auctioneer working it. Having purchased a house last year, the auctioneer is an inconvenience and unnecessary middleman who only adds a layer of friction and obfuscation. Nothing they said made us want the house more or less.

Raheen didn't have a university beside it but does have the crescent, hospital and industrial estate so I think you're contradicting yourself there with that point.

Anyway, Raheen has plenty of cheap houses and nearby employers but you can say the same for Castletroy. There's very few houses for sale in the areas I mentioned so when one comes up at a reasonable price it's not in the market for long. That to me, makes it just as saleable if not more.

To be honest I agree to an extent on your auctioneer comment. Some ** amongst them. We rang one the other day and he couldnt wait to get off the phone. But some decent lads also.

Advertisement