If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a New TV- Advice Sought.

Options
  • 28-01-2021 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Folks

I am looking to upgrade the TV. My previous one has lasted me ~ 12 years, and is still going strong. However just looking now for a bit more. 

I think a 65" TV is the size I am looking. Ideally I'd like an OLED or QLED but not sure I can justify that to myself price wise.

Therefore what would be a good recommendation for the next spec down? Is that 4K?

Also a must have is Saorview (RTE). 

Where my TV is now it suffers a bit from glare, so I am assuming that the modern TVs can handle that better?
    Although it will be used for everything, I am a sports fan so a decent Hz would be good too. I've a few small LG TVs at home and have been very impressed with them, so I would lean towards them again. However it's far from a hard stop.

Thank you

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Folks

I am looking to upgrade the TV. My previous one has lasted me ~ 12 years, and is still going strong. However just looking now for a bit more. 

I think a 65" TV is the size I am looking. Ideally I'd like an OLED or QLED but not sure I can justify that to myself price wise.

Therefore what would be a good recommendation for the next spec down? Is that 4K?

Where my TV is now it suffers a bit from glare, so I am assuming that the modern TVs can handle that better?
    Although it will be used for everything, I am a sports fan so a decent Hz would be good too. I've a few small LG TVs at home and have been very impressed with them, so I would lean towards them again. However it's far from a hard stop.

Thank you
    Thanks for  the post Norf Tyrone!

The OLEDs would definitely be at the top of the pile for image quality but if you're looking for a TV that's got a good panel without going to the extremes of the OLED or the QLED I would go with one of the LG 65NANO866. They have a native 100Hz panel so are great for motion processing, they support Dolby Vision and the nano cell panel gives great colour, contrast and brightness. The smart hub is very good as well, it uses the Magic Remote and it has Saorview and Freesat built in!

They'd definitely be the next best thing for both picture and features!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Norf Tyrone

Folks

Thank you

The OLEDs would definitely be at the top of the pile for image quality but if you're looking for a TV that's got a good panel without going to the extremes of the OLED or the QLED I would go with one of the LG 65NANO866. They have a native 100Hz panel so are great for motion processing, they support Dolby Vision and the nano cell panel gives great colour, contrast and brightness. The smart hub is very good as well, it uses the Magic Remote and it has Saorview and Freesat built in!

Kind regards

David
    Thank you David S.

I had a wee read there and it's favourable alright. I had noticed this earlier (https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/4k-ultra-hd-tvs/samsung-ue65tu8500.html). 

Which would compare best out of those two? Has the Samsung Saorview built in?

Thank you for your time.

Folks

Thank you

Kind regards

David
    Thank you David S.

I had a wee read there and it's favourable alright. I had noticed this earlier (https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/4k-ultra-hd-tvs/samsung-ue65tu8500.html). 

Which would compare best out of those two? Has the Samsung Saorview built in?

Thank you for your time.
    Hi Norf Tyrone,

The Samsung is still a standard LED TV so the panel wouldn't have the same colour and contrast as the LG. it also has a 50Hz native panel so is not as fast!

It will pick up the Saorview channels though!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Norf Tyrone

Hi Norf Tyrone,

The Samsung is still a standard LED TV so the panel wouldn't have the same colour and contrast as the LG. it also has a 50Hz native panel so is not as fast!

Kind regards

David

Hi David

I sent you a PM there.

Thanks

Hi Norf Tyrone,

Kind regards

David

Hi David

I sent you a PM there.

Thanks
    I'll get back to you asap Norf Tyrone!

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.