Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plumbing Issue on New Build House

• 28-01-2021 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,

i bought a new build house just under 4 years ago. Within a few days of moving in we noticed an issue with the shower in the main bathroom - it was either roasting or freezing. Advised the builder and he came back and advised it was plumbed incorrectly and said he fixed it. it was then working fine but we started noticing leaks on the ceiling of the room below. Again informed the builder who came out and said his plumber "fixed the issue".

We then started using the en-suite instead and one night our fire alarm went off (below the en-suite) and we noticed water dripping out of that. the door had gaps and water was getting in.

a few days ago we heard a bang and could hear gushing water - investigated and it was coming from behind the tiles in the main shower. Water was gushing through the light fitting in the room below. We managed to turn off the mains quickly and it stopped but there is damage to the ceiling and walls etc from the water.

Contacted builder who advised his plumber was sick (covid related restrictions) and to get our own plumber in. He said the pipe had just come out of the compression fitting. He said a UK olive was used on Irish pipes and did not compress at all i.e. it slid straight off and no tape or putty was used. he also said the pipes are still plumbed incorrectly i.e. hot on the right and not the left. He also mentioned the tiles were way too high off the tray and the grout had fallen in and no amount of silicone could really definitively fix the issue, he did a temporary job but thinks in the long run we need to re-tile to ensure a proper seal.

Do i have any recourse on the builder at this stage? considering the issue was raised to him within weeks of moving in and he never really fixed the issue nor does it appear he put the fitting on correctly. it was all his plumber, his tiler etc. and we had no one else in other than them.

On a side note multiple houses have had leaks and plumbing issues so not an isolated issue with this plumber it seems.

thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

This is more of a construction query but I'll leave it here for a while.

Do builders have to be bonded? You could investigate that angle.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 4 0856894

ok sorry - ok thanks!

yes have a builders bond for 10 years but as far as i am aware this only covers structural issues.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

0856894 wrote: »
    ok sorry - ok thanks!

yes have a builders bond for 10 years but as far as i am aware this only covers structural issues.

Worth a call. Bad plumbing will not be long about causing such issues.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

0856894 wrote: »
    ok sorry - ok thanks!

Maybe you could try contacting your home insurer and tell them that you are asking for advise regarding the leak in your house and how they believe you should proceed.

Advertisement