Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Fixed rate or variable?

• 28-01-2021 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Currently on a variable rate mortgage of 2.75% and am considering a move to fixed rate (3 years) of 2.35%
    As per my moniker, I’m new in town - my previous mortgage was in UK, so could do with a bit of guidance.
    Much obliged!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Q&A

New2Dubs wrote: »
    Currently on a variable rate mortgage of 2.75% and am considering a move to fixed rate (3 years) of 2.35%
    As per my moniker, I’m new in town - my previous mortgage was in UK, so could do with a bit of guidance.
    Much obliged!

Best in the market is avantmoney @ 1.95% but you need a low LTV. Depending on your loan amount you might consider other providers that offer cashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

Q&A wrote: »
    Best in the market is avantmoney @ 1.95% but you need a low LTV. Depending on your loan amount you might consider other providers that offer cashback.

Thanks for your response.
    Hadn’t actually considered moving lender, but defo worth considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

Avant only accepts mortages for houses in the cities.
    I went myself with AIB and splitted the mortgage - huge part is fixed for three years - a smaller part is variable as I want to overpay the mortgage as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Q&A

Merowig wrote: »
    Avant only accepts mortages for houses in the cities.
    I went myself with AIB and splitted the mortgage - huge part is fixed for three years - a smaller part is variable as I want to overpay the mortgage as well.

Yes region specific for Avant and with such a low balance I think cashback would trump a lower mortgage rate but it would depend on the specifics.

Splitting the mortgage is a nice way of giving yourself flexibility. However, take a look at the following thread. The split option might not have been necessary. Seems they don't/can't charge a break fee for some fixed terms.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/calling-aib-customers-who-fixed-before-the-latest-fixed-rate-cuts-in-september-2020.219805/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

Q&A wrote: »
    Yes region specific for Avant and with such a low balance I think cashback would trump a lower mortgage rate but it would depend on the specifics.

Splitting the mortgage is a nice way of giving yourself flexibility. However, take a look at the following thread. The split option might not have been necessary. Seems they don't/can't charge a break fee for some fixed terms.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/calling-aib-customers-who-fixed-before-the-latest-fixed-rate-cuts-in-september-2020.219805/

I know that thread - the issue is that there is not break fee for three years mortgages with AIB because the two year mortgage is more expensive - that scenario can change any time though in theory.
    Also one has to obtain in advance the confirmation from AIB about the break free before doing an overpayment - this becomes a bit of a hassle if I overpay every month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement