Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime phonecalls

Options
  • 28-01-2021 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I signed up to Amazon Prime TV 2 weeks ago and only use my mobile number in details not the landline. This morning we got 2 automated phone calls from amazon prime saying they would be deducting €79.99 from bank account. I cut call off on both occasions. Just wondering if this is a scam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

shoes43 wrote: »
    I signed up to Amazon Prime TV 2 weeks ago and only use my mobile number in details not the landline. This morning we got 2 automated phone calls from amazon prime saying they would be deducting €79.99 from bank account. I cut call off on both occasions. Just wondering if this is a scam.

It is a well known scam. I got the same call a few weeks back and hung up too.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/fake-amazon-prime-calls-a-new-twist-on-windows-support-scam-1.4155452?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 23 maca13

I got it too...took me minute to cop on.Fuc#ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's a scam.

I got it at work a few weeks ago, which is strange as I never use the work number (I'd be hard pressed to remember it tbh), it came direct to my office phone, not even to the reception, and while I have an amazon account I don't subscribe to Prime.

Dodgy carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

What number did it come from?
    Mobile? landline?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We get those on the landline regularly - never had prime so know it's a scam straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

I know its a scam usually hang up but pressed one and transferred to this guy with very heavy Indian accent that knew my full name home address home phone number time i was a member of amazon.He wanted me to go to my laptop and enter there WWW details that's when i asked him what boiler room he was working out from he hung up knowing the game was over. Got fed up listening to his dribble

Now where did he get this information from I wonder??disgruntled Amazon employee, who should i sue for my private information leaking on line to hustlers.had 11 calls since last Monday 23th August 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I thought you said you only gave amazon your mobile? - but he knew your HOME phone number.

Either you're bullsh1tting or you simply got random call and it coincided with you taking prime. (plenty of sources for name address and phone number - you can buy lists for very small money)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They bluff about Amazon. They had my name as shown in the phonebook and tried to insist I had taken out Amazon membership (which I hadn't). Kept them busy for over 10 minutes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Not bulls* Darc19.

Had a new call from caller no 003531335932 proportioning to be from Vodafone stating my internet connection has problems.

Kept him on mine told me to go to windows key hold press R HOLD down MSCONFIG OK then system config asked were there more than 10 stopped and now we will fix this. It was then i unfortunately after my first coffee i needed my morning constitution.

i asked him what boiler room in india was he working from and hung up.

Called Vodafone 1907 and told them what had happened will call me back tomorrow morning for number as i forgot to write down. As this is new to me usually its the Amazon £79.99 scam.

Be warned Vodafone does have technical problems at the moment really says so after calling 1907

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I was saying that thinking it came from a disgruntled employee was BS and pointed out that the call came on your home phone, but you only gave your mobile to amazon. So immediately you can see that how ridiculous your claim was.

Its random numbers which they buy in batches of thousands taken from various online breaches in hundreds of companies over the years. If they get through to 1000 people possibly 100 have amazon prime and possibly a few like you just joined recently.

And it those few that they want to get at as some are off guard

Remember the old Nigerian prince emails? - they had bad grammar and spelling errors put in on purpose as it meant people with good common sense wold not reply. they effectively reduced it to only gullible people by this very clever format.

they don't care if you waste a few minutes of their time - they expect that. they won't be concerned at all and simply move on and on and on as there are plenty of people out there that do fall for it. They earn TENS of MILLIONS from the scams

• Advertisement
Advertisement