Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hairline cracks in walls

• 28-01-2021 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi

Just looking for some advice. We moved into a house about 18 months ago. There were small hairline crack running horizontally along the walls in upstairs bedrooms close to the ceiling about a foot down.

We filled these when we first got keys and a painter pInted walls etc. Cracks have reappeared with an extra few.

Have read about online and it says maybe due to seasonal building heating up and cooling etc and may need to open cracks a bit wider to fill them.

Just wondering are these something to worry about or would they be just normal with the house warning up with fires and heating going etc. I've attach couple of photos maybe hard to see.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Is it a new build?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jj232000

policarp wrote: »
    Is it a new build?

No was built about 15 years ago. Wasnt really lived in as far as I know. More of holiday home and people visiting family staying in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Horizontal cracks are not as serious as vertical ones.
    Always a nuisance but normally not a structural problem.

policarp wrote: »
    Horizontal cracks are not as serious as vertical ones.
    Always a nuisance but normally not a structural problem.

Thanks. I have been watching them for awhile and see to get bigger and smaller as house is warm or cold etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

jj232000 wrote: »
    Thanks. I have been watching them for awhile and see to get bigger and smaller as house is warm or cold etc.

Scrape them out and refill them with Polyfilla.

I can't stress enough that you have to scrape the cracks out before filling them, you need to run the edge of the scraper along them and brush out any dust before re filling them.

If you simply fill over the cracks as they are now, it'll be back again in a month or two.

• Advertisement

Scrape them out and refill them with Polyfilla.

I can't stress enough that you have to scrape the cracks out before filling them, you need to run the edge of the scraper along them and brush out any dust before re filling them.

If you simply fill over the cracks as they are now, it'll be back again in a month or two.

I'll try that. I just filled over them when we moved in but all have reappeared.

I did scrape out one small part of one of the cracks (about a foot to test it) and filled with ronseal smooth finish filler but appears it might be reappearing again. I probably didn't scrape it out enough. Just used the edge of a 2" wall scraper to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

jj232000 wrote: »
    I'll try that. I just filled over them when we moved in but all have reappeared.

I did scrape out one small part of one of the cracks (about a foot to test it) and filled with ronseal smooth finish filler but appears it might be reappearing again. I probably didn't scrape it out enough. Just used the edge of a 2" wall scraper to do it.

Get right into the crack, and when your filling it, don't try and fill it out in one go. Maybe 2or 3 attempts, leave it to dry fully between every coat of filler. If you apply the filler to heavily it will crack when dry.

Get right into the crack, and when your filling it, don't try and fill it out in one go. Maybe 2or 3 attempts, leave it to dry fully between every coat of filler. If you apply the filler to heavily it will crack when dry.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that next time. If it expanding and contracting with heat, do I need to use a flexible filler?

Advertisement