Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Satellite broadband alternatives?

• 28-01-2021 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Apologies if I'm in the wrong place. I'm living in the Dublin mountains and currently using satellite broadband (formally Big Blu, now Eutelsat). We're included in the intervention areas in the NBI rollout but we're waiting to be surveyed so I imagine that will take an age to do.

The satellite broadband has been fairly useless (getting speeds of 0.5-2mbps) particularly in bad weather and yet a mile down the road at my parents house they're getting 50 mbps, with what I think is the copper fibre as it's wired from the road to the house but they aren't getting crazy speeds like 1000 mbps.

A friend has suggested installing an antenna on my parent's house and then bouncing the signal to my house up the road. Is this doable? Is this the same as 'line of sight' broadband? Is 'line of sight' broadband the same as fixed wireless? I'm quite confused about it all. I've tried to do a search on rural broadband but didn't find what I was looking for! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Is there a complete line of sight between the two houses?
    If so you can use a Ubiquiti wireless bridge to bridge to your parent's network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

emy-87 wrote: »
    I'm living in the Dublin mountains and currently using satellite broadband (formally Big Blu, now Eutelsat). We're included in the intervention areas in the NBI rollout but we're waiting to be surveyed so I imagine that will take an age to do.

The satellite broadband has been fairly useless (getting speeds of 0.5-2mbps) particularly in bad weather

Just on the satellite broadband, a family member is also using this service but a business package from the KA-Sat satellite. The capacity on this satellite is over-subscribed due to Covid/WFH.

Some changes that happened late last year, Eutelsat sold its reamining interest in this satellite to US satellite operator Viasat and BigBlu's retail satellite division was purchased by Eutelsat.

BigBlu/Eutelsat continues to support their legacy KA-Sat customers but will not contract new customers to KA-Sat.

BigBlu/Eutelsat's retail arm now named Konnect, offers a satellite broadband package from the new Eutelsat Konnect satellite. The biggest difference between the KA-Sat and Konnect offering is the free install and equipment with Konnect. A new dish and modem are required for the Konnect service.
    https://europe.konnect.com/en-IE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depending on location theres a possibility of cellular there. Quite a few sites on peaks if you're on a Dublin facing slope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

alan4cult wrote: »
    Is there a complete line of sight between the two houses?
    If so you can use a Ubiquiti wireless bridge to bridge to your parent's network.
    Mikrotik make directional antennas https://mikrotik.com/products/group/wireless-systems
    I think they're sold in Ireland and would do the job over a distance if you have line of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

The Cush wrote: »
    Just on the satellite broadband, a family member is also using this service but a business package from the KA-Sat satellite. The capacity on this satellite is over-subscribed due to Covid/WFH.

Some changes that happened late last year, Eutelsat sold its reamining interest in this satellite to US satellite operator Viasat and BigBlu's retail satellite division was purchased by Eutelsat.

BigBlu/Eutelsat continues to support their legacy KA-Sat customers but will not contract new customers to KA-Sat.

BigBlu/Eutelsat's retail arm now named Konnect, offers a satellite broadband package from the new Eutelsat Konnect satellite. The biggest difference between the KA-Sat and Konnect offering is the free install and equipment with Konnect. A new dish and modem are required for the Konnect service.
    https://europe.konnect.com/en-IE

Thanks for the info. We had an engineer out over the weekend and he was saying the same thing. He said Konnect are better to deal with but I'm still reluctant to go with satellite broadband again, if I can help it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭emy-87

ED E wrote: »
    Depending on location theres a possibility of cellular there. Quite a few sites on peaks if you're on a Dublin facing slope.

We can get 4G in one particular part of the bedroom, if I hold my phone up high. Apart from that it's like we're living in a lead box, there's absolutely nothing. Not even enough to make a phone call! I contacted Vodafone and they gave me the sales pitch but I'm reluctant to buy it unless I know it will work. i.e. if I was able to do a speed test on the modem before getting into the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

We can get 4G in one particular part of the bedroom, if I hold my phone up high. Apart from that it's like we're living in a lead box, there's absolutely nothing. Not even enough to make a phone call! I contacted Vodafone and they gave me the sales pitch but I'm reluctant to buy it unless I know it will work. i.e. if I was able to do a speed test on the modem before getting into the contract.
    If Vodafone don't offer a trial period you could buy a 4G mifi modem. I bought a Huawei E5577 from Amazon a couple of years ago, I think they're still available for ~65. It's handy to have anyways as a backup. Get a payg sim and test it, you'll know quick enough if it works anywhere in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Have you done a speed test on your phone? Pick up a VF, three and eir sim and test them all. If you can get any sort of speed, then you can make plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Perfect setup for an external antenna.

Get yourself an unlocked phone and an Eir and Three SIMs. Test at roof level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Id also suggest testing at different times of the day especially around peak (~6pm)

I was seriously considering going this route as I could get 4g/LTE in some areas of the house and speeds were pretty good during the day (20 Up / 5 down). Whenever I tested after 3pm - midnight the speeds completely fell off a cliff, was lucky to get 3/4Mb down.

This was with GoMo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement