Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ice warning for Leinster, Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and Connacht

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

highdef wrote: »
    Sent the drone up a few minutes ago. 100% pure rain at my elevation of just under 90m. 50m higher and it's pure snow. Staggering!

Doesn’t really surprise me. I’m only about 10km away from and 50 meters higher than Dunshaughlin yet Gonzo regularly says it’s raining there while it’s snowing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Mimon wrote: »
    Yep, got up early for work this morning and it felt the coldest day this winter. Was 1 degree and felt far colder than the mornings hopping in the car at -4 or -5.

That "humid" cold is horrible, get into your bones.

Exactly, feels colder out now than it did during the 2018 'beast'. Could actually be out in a t shirt in that at -5c, screaming winds and driving dust snow and it still felt more pleasant than this crap.

New Moon

Mimon wrote: »
    Yep, got up early for work this morning and it felt the coldest day this winter. Was 1 degree and felt far colder than the mornings hopping in the car at -4 or -5.

That "humid" cold is horrible, get into your bones.

I was in the Czech Republic many years ago and my girlfriend at the time woke me up and said "I'm putting my foot down and I'm closing the bedroom window". Fair dues it was -22. About a year later I was staying in Athlone and it was +5 and i had an electric blanket and a double duvet and i was still cold. Humid cold is so much colder than dry cold.

It's chilly up at Howth weather station

2.3/1.0

That's cold with that breeze in from the sea but not cold enough, I'd expect nice bit of snow over the Dublin/Wicklow hills

2.6c in Arklow
    Dp -0.4c
    Sleety rain (no pun intended)
    Snow falling inland at just 170 metres asl

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

No doubt this snow will change to more dinner plate type snow before it turns back to rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Snowing away in Glencullen Dublin mountains nice dusting but no real intensity to snow

Just think of every possible type of precip and you'll probably get some of that today. Made some edits to details in today's forecast as it appears the mixing elevations are going to be somewhat lower, basically the effect of this nasty mix will be to leave a slushy mess on roads and paths, caution advised -- heavy snow could fall on higher routes, the sticking snow will likely be at least 200m and in some areas 250-300m above sea level.

I would feel right at home after a week of similar nasty mixtures around here, it is what it is.

The snow falling line here west of Arklow is about 170 metres asl more than 4 miles inland
    Its all adjacent to ground rising above 650 metres so may be borrowing the really high grounds weather

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Pangea wrote: »
    Tubbercurry to Bonniconlon currently impassable
    https://www.facebook.com/115609018461867/posts/3890711197618278/

Was literally talking to my dad at home about 30mins ago and nothing in Bonni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Dinner plate flakes here Nacho. The end is nigh? Although temp has dropped again to 0.3 with a DP of - 0.4

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Glengesh, Donegal at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Light drizzly snow here in Letterkenny, tiny flakes just blowing about so not going to amount to anything even if it was cold enough to stick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Rain with a 30% Windscreen Splodge Factor (WSF) here in Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Stolen from facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭lucalux

Can't confirm the Custume Barracks/Athlone reports but I'm just NE of there in south Roscommon, we've got:

Sleet turning to Snow, bits of graupel mixed in at times.

Falling steadily as medium flakes when it's just snow, ground saturated and not sticking yet.
    60m asl

Moderate snow continues In N Offaly but I think it's not snowing in Tullamore. Only about 16km difference.

Feck. Dinnerplate snow has started already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

What county are you in?

Although dinner plate snow is nice to look at!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Stolen from facebook

Thats my page

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    What county are you in?

Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Back to full on light rain here now. Sending it your way.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Moderate snow continues In N Offaly but I think it's not snowing in Tullamore. Only about 16km difference.

Your 16,000m difference is nothing compared to my <30m difference between full rain and snow. Lol

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Back to full on light rain here now. Sending it your way.

Damn you paddy1 anyway. Nothing good comes from that town:p

Custume Barracks in Athlone back reporting light snow again at 10 am. Anyone there to confirm or deny it?

METAR EIAC 311000Z AUTO 12010KT 9999 -SN OVC006/// 01/01 Q0994=

My sister is 2 miles from there and is reporting only rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Bone dry here.

Your 16,000m difference is nothing compared to my <30m difference between full rain and snow. Lol

Build your house again on stilts. The only solution.

That's snow for you! It's incredible how localised it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

joujoujou wrote: »
    Mayo/Roscommon border, 130m amsl, just now.

[...]

Same location, 3 hours later.

541600.jpg

Stopped snowing now. Just as it was settling a bit, that green to white transition. Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The rain has transitioned to sleet but below is the video I took from the drone a short while ago. At the time of flying it was 100% rain at ground level (just under 90m ASL). In the video, there was snow falling to as low as 30m above me!!!

I just watched your video, that is very light snow. How do you know the snowflakes are not being evaporated before reaching sea level? The fact that the snow becomes lighter as you descend may give credence to that.

I have personally witnessed it as low as the roof of my house!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement