Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ice warning for Leinster, Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and Connacht

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Decent fall here just outside Roscommon Town and still coming strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Vittu

Snow in Cavan last 2 hrs but not staying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

And it's raining... Nice little bit of snow for a couple of hours, but it couldn't stick. Back to wet icy rain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The precipitation is fizzling out as predicted. There will be no snow here until tonight if at all.

It is just a cloudy, windy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

BullBauld wrote: »
    Decent fall here just outside Roscommon Town and still coming strong.

Looks like your going through a car wash ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sleety/splodgy rain in Dublin 16 with the odd wet flake now and then. 2.2c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

This is the worst day in months. I'm eyeing the gin bottle already. What day is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Dinnerplate snow is gone. Very light grainy snow now, which will be rain soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Awful in East Cork, I don’t mind the winter... but days like this are irredeemable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A rain and hail mix now. It's frutrasting when you compare it to last Saturday night. May we all get at least one significant snowfall before this winter ends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great drone video from highdef.

Radar seems to be picking up more the snow at altitude and from reports little falling intact on lower ground . Would seem to be more highlighting the returns from sleet and snow on hilly terrain.

Wintry showers look to continue into the night in the NW.

Wicklow Mts look set to get a good pasting.

8.7C here near Tralee :)

9vOxGUA.gif

temp_uk_ivg4.png

Nfa0Joj.png

auGzLBR.png

meg2ZtT.png

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

This is how I see today

“What an abysmal way to end such an abysmal month in Dublin”

This is another useless event for me. There is not a drop of snow here.I drove up to 350 metres and it is 0c there and icy but no snow there. So those radars are wrong.

I would suggest the snow is about 30 miles south of here.

hXZksPx.jpg

A lot of models show the snow building in to my location around 9pm. I wouldn’t be surprised if we just have a lot of virga.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another horrendeus day here in Meath, rain as expected with bits of sleet in it, almost an exact copy of yesterday. Serious amount of rain here since Friday night. Field near my house is developing a lake. Side roads into Dunshaughlin flooded again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

A very meh event. As MT said, pretty much a mix of everything, which it has been here anyway. The Monthly mean temperature is going to come in around 3.4 C for this location. That's pretty cold for recent winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Great drone video from highdef.

Radar seems to be picking up more the snow at altitude and from reports little falling intact on lower ground . Would seem to be more highlighting the returns from sleet and snow on hilly terrain.

Wintry showers look to continue into the night in the NW.

Wicklow Mts look set to get a good pasting.

8.7C here near Tralee :)

9vOxGUA.gif

Another prime example of why that precip depiction radar is not worth a shíte. I know altitude is very important today but for most it's just predominantly rain, but looking at that you would be forgiven for taking out the sled and huskies.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

I agree.... Bits of snow mixed in but for most a damp squib unless high up in the Dublin/Wicklow/Mourne/Donegal mountains or other high altitudes....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 leeash10

Cold wet mucky day here, sleety rain, 2c at 220 meters West Wicklow, snow line looks to be 300 meters plus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Another prime example of why that precip depiction radar is not worth a shíte. I know altitude is very important today but for most it's just predominantly rain, but looking at that you would be forgiven for taking out the sled and huskies.

Certainly is the perfect example of what might be showing up on radar doesn't mean that snow is falling on the ground. Best viewed as a rough guide to the potential for some form of frozen precipitation at altitude that may or may not be still frozen in some form when it reaches the ground.

All the same when it is very cold ( not so marginal like today ) and snow is more certain I do find the radar helpful when traveling with picking routes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SnizzleSky

leeash10 wrote: »
    Cold wet mucky day here, sleety rain, 2c at 220 meters West Wicklow, snow line looks to be 300 meters plus.

Currently 2.8C in Aughrim south east Wicklow. 160M asl. Sleet. Snow line also 300M here. Good few cars from up Macreddin, Glenmalure and Askanagap have few cms on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Clondalkin Dublin, first real sign of sleet in otherwise constant rain showing up now but literally a few flakes....

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,699 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

0.9°C. Snow stopped, rain now.

Local road, 30 minutes ago:

541613.jpg

541614.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Certainly is the perfect example of what might be showing up on radar doesn't mean that snow is falling on the ground. Best viewed as a rough guide to the potential for some form of frozen precipitation at altitude that may or may not be still frozen in some form when it reaches the ground.

All the same when it is very cold ( not so marginal like today ) and snow is more certain I do find the radar helpful when traveling with picking routes etc.

The thing is the radar showed me under snow for hours but it was lightest echo on the radar. It just wasn't making it down to the surface so it was deceiving. A 5 minute flurry is all that fell. So nothing was falling here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

If the precip type radar isn't an absolute cut-off and is a rolling scale, then some of the red (darkest shade) is just rain/sleet mix?

The Netweather precip type one is *better* anyway. Green for rain/snow (sleet), blue for rain or red for snow. On this one, the snow (Red) is mostly confined to parts of Ulster with a sleety mess for most and rain for further south. Going by reports, that's not a million miles off. Still probably not overly accurate but highlights more of a mix than the meteociel chart. We do lack posters in that central Ulster area to get as good of a picture as we do for the rest of the country.

radar.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

With no major Atlantic storms or pretty much anything else on offer in the charts at the moment, we can take comfort in the fact that we have just another 2 months more of this garbage to go through. Horrible winter, and most lack-lustre and consistently unpleasant one I have ever lived through.

New Moon

Except there isn't any precipitation falling in large swathes of that red area. This is what always happens when its cold and low humidity; Virga.

https://trafficwatchni.com/twni/cameras

I wouldn't be surprised if this whole event was Virga here. Models predict snow at 9pm, but it'll have to be heavy to overcome the evaporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Rain and nothing else here outside Newport, Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Custume Barracks in Athlone back reporting light snow again at 10 am. Anyone there to confirm or deny it?

METAR EIAC 311000Z AUTO 12010KT 9999 -SN OVC006/// 01/01 Q0994=

I'm close enough and it's a stretch to call it snow. Sleet really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Knock 0c
    Sherkin Island 11c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement