Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ice warning for Leinster, Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and Connacht

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met Éireann got this snow pretty badly wrong today. Doesn’t seem to be many reporting snow and the northern half of the country had snow warnings from met Éireann. They can be very hit and miss with their snow forecasts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The 9z ICON run now shows this front heading south.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Yellow Weather warning ⚠️ Donegal just now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I just watched your video, that is very light snow. How do you know the snowflakes are not being evaporated before reaching sea level? The fact that the snow becomes lighter as you descend may give credence to that.

I have personally witnessed it as low as the roof of my house!

I don't know if the Snowflakes are evaporating before reaching ground level. The video was merely to highlight that at ground level it was raining but just 30m up (and beyond) there was snow falling. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Year ago today in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Donegal
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Wintry falls, with some accumulations possible and icy patches on untreated surfaces.

Valid: 18:00 Sunday 31/01/2021 to 10:00 Monday 01/02/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Carrick on Shannon 31/01/21
    uLSDTi0.jpg

All of the models show the precipitation fizzling out and the snow heading south. So a warning for Donegal is risky.

The sun is shining through now..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭pauldry

That's not Carrick on Shannon its Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Carlow 31/01/21 (pic Carlow weather channel)
    wK04DFP.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Neddyusa wrote: »
    I'm close enough and it's a stretch to call it snow. Sleet really

Just bear in mind that that was at 10 am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Snow/sleet in Cavan from 9.00am to about 11am but didn't stick. Sleet / rain since with temps around 2 degrees. Lovely weather

• Registered Users Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any reports from Roundwood, any snow lying up there?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Holy Duck

Icy cold rain here since morning, off piste, NCD, slopes are closed till next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Just bear in mind that that was at 10 am this morning.

Was referring to the worst of the cold between 9 and 10. Just rain after 10.30
    Automated precipitation detection is not very accurate but I suppose it a tricky thing to guage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

m17 wrote: »
    Carrick on Shannon 31/01/21
    uLSDTi0.jpg

No way, the 1 day I'm out of town ugh, no snow here in mohill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Plenty of light snow showers here all day. Nothing stuck, the ground is soaking and the dogs filthy.

Oh how I'd love a few hard frosts and dry sunny sunny days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Was referring to the worst of the cold between 9 and 10. Just rain after 10.30
    Automated precipitation detection is not very accurate but I suppose it a tricky thing to guage

Yes, today is a particularly difficult situation for the sensor. It was unlikely to be aligned snow with temp/dp 2/1 so it's good to get a ground truth to verify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Hills around the town are all white here in Letterkenny, lying snow at roughly 200m. Nothing but spits of light precip where I am though, randomly transitioning between rain, sleet and snow all morning but dried up now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Dublin mountains at about 4pm; patchy snow beginning at 350m, slushy wet mess up to 450m, above 450m decent snow about 3 - 5cm. Freezing level about 500m. Didn't venture above 520m as the tiny snow grains were ripping my face off in the strong wind and visibility was about 20 meters and starting to get dark.

• Advertisement

Hills around the town are all white here in Letterkenny, lying snow at roughly 200m. Nothing but spits of light precip where I am though, randomly transitioning between rain, sleet and snow all morning but dried up now

That’s really bizarre. It’s bone dry here. That’s the second snow event letterkenny had, with dry conditions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 A_mc_b

New to the weather forum here. Ive been reading the threads past few weeks and decided to join. Big weather fan. Hope to contribute in the forum. I live in donegal, letterkenny. Live in the town centre. So lower ground.
    Its been a grim cloudy, damp and very cold day here. After this mornings wet sleety mix it's dried up this afternoon. Expected a bit more sleet and snow that was forcasted but it didnt happen. Disappointed. But i see from my view the hills has a covering of snow. Dont expect much tonight. Currently 3c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

That’s really bizarre. It’s bone dry here. That’s the second snow event letterkenny had, with dry conditions here.

I definitely wouldn't call it an 'event' here, some tiny snowflakes blowing about in the wind is about as exciting as it got

Still bone dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

Still bone dry.

Don't worry you'll see plenty of rain come Monday night/Tuesday you'll wish it was gone dry then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It did start as snow here in North Kilkenny, but quickly turned to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Yeah plenty of snow on the hills here too , took a venture up , all within 5km of course. Got my snow fix for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

Well that turned out a bit of a disappointment today. The temperature dropped to 1c in light to moderate at times sleet(mostly snow) for about two hours and it turned back to rain after that.
    South Cavan 95m asl.

My brother took a gander up to Loughcrew before dinner as its near where he lives, a nice covering with fairly heavy fine snow coming down. Sent me a few photos this evening, might as well share them here.
    IMG-20210131-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20210131-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20210131-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20210131-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20210131-WA0010.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement