Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limitations on rear cassette

Options
  • 28-01-2021 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I was wondering, what factors that I need to know before I go an buy a new cassette for my full sus bike ?

I'd like to go "full diner plate" 10-52 so an auld fella gets an easy ride up hill.

But surely my derailleur or something needs to be capable of that size ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Things to consider

Current cassette - Number of speeds - Can't upgrade an 8 speed to 12 speed for instance
    Hub type, make sure you buy a cassette that fits the type of hub you have (Classic Shimano / Shimano Microspline / SRAM XD Driver)
    After that, then derailleur, like above, depending on what speed you have currently and if that changes then you may need a new derailleur.
    Also, if changing speeds you need a new shifter too, and cable for good measure, you should always change this if changing mech anyways.

Going to 52 you'll need a long cage mech to ensure it can drop the chain enough to make the largest cog.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Still debating this change myself, currently 2×10, would like a 1x, unsure if my hub will take a x12, should definitely be able to take a x11. would like xt, but that's running at about 300 for the lot, tempted to go slx, I'm sure it would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Still debating this change myself, currently 2×10, would like a 1x, unsure if my hub will take a x12, should definitely be able to take a x11. would like xt, but that's running at about 300 for the lot, tempted to go slx, I'm sure it would be fine

Was one of the best upgrades i made to my last bike, going 2-10 to 1x11. Went from sram to xt and was relatively straight forward, can't remember difference in cost with slx mind you. Biggest upside was less maintenance with lack of front derailleur.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

prunudo wrote: »
    Was one of the best upgrades i made to my last bike, going 2-10 to 1x11. Went from sram to xt and was relatively straight forward, can't remember difference in cost with slx mind you. Biggest upside was less maintenance with lack of front derailleur.

to be honest, im fcuking sick of too much sh1t on my handlebars, one less thing will be great, im finding the 2x ratios annoying to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Wanderer78 wrote: »

If you're running a 10 speed it will almost certainly take a 12 speed.

New rear mech, shifter, chainring and chain needed to boot, obviously.

Going 1x is a no brainer nowadays, I even narrowed the ratio on my Hardtail as the 50t is overkill for most places and the most frustrating thing about a 12 speed for me was the gap in the middle of the cassette between two gears, I never noticed it until I changed to a narrow ratio, but it was like a light bulb turned on when I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

1x is so much nicer for mtb.

Looks cleaner and literally is cleaner, since going 1x ive found my drivetrain much cleaner.

With a narrow wide chainring you dont even need a clutch derailleur. Also I find those oval chainrings make your pedal stroke so much smoother, good for climbing.

Gearing is also really customisable. If your an auld fella and want low gear ratios id reccomend a 28/30t chainring an 11 46 over 32 lets say 11 52 itd be lighter and closer gear ratios. I find 11 52 a bit excessive for most people Id say a 28-52 could get my mother climbing 20%+ gradients

Advertisement