Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV has a lot of answer for.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

Depending on what a director is looking for, realistic is not always entertaining.

A guilty pleasure if mine was Tears Of The Sun with Bruce Willis as a special ops guy going to save a humanitarian target. Utter dirt action wise but I still like it!

Another is Act Of Valor, very well done, the guys were real ex seals. Action scenes were entertaining and very good, you could see the guys training coming out. But, they could not act AT ALL. the majority of the storyline is pure pony, painful at times (coming from a guy who wouldn't pass an audition to be a corpse).

Black Hawk Down is a good one though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Even the best movies have to take liberties to work around plots and sequencing. Saving Private Ryan as lauded as it is for the beach landings, troops under fire would not cluster as they do to converse and present the enemy with a large target. In one scene the captain brings his men together to talk to them, this would not work on screen if there were presented as disparate as they were most likely in reality.
    It’s artistic license is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I've shot a 10 shot revolver. It was only a .22 though.
    I know they exist. Even some rare double barrel 16 shot models. But was talking more about standard 6 shot revolvers holding whatever the scene calls for.
    Not just a revolver issue I suppose. All firearms seem to last longer than they should.
    The scene in Django where Django shoots Leonardo DiCaprio's sister is a ridiculous example of someone going flying after being shot. It is entertaining though, in a funny way.

"Tell Miss Laura goodbye". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhyLzMdAqQc

Tbf that scene is a mainly satire poking at the way other movies do it.

But I do agree they are motivated by entertainment and aesthetics not realism. Muzzle flash is exaggerated and slowed down for the camera. Sound effects are hyped up. And the whole thing is simplified for the masses. If a guy shooting through a scope held over a target outside of his zero. The audience sees a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The one that annoys me actually has real life consequences.

Most baddies when shot in the movies drop down dead instantly. So Joe Public now thinks that one shot is enough to subdue even the most determined armed attacker and that he/she/they (pick you favourite pronoun :D ) couldn't possibly continue to pose a threat after he has been shot once.

This has given rise to a whole pile of gobsh1tes who think that it's murder when the police force have to shoot someone multiple times to negate a threat.

As an aside, there's a young wan down near me who keeps posting about the George Nkencho shooting calling it a racist murder and has now gone and got an ACAB tattoo. So now she's permanently marked with something that means All Cops Are Ba5tards. Seriously, what the fcuk goes on inside some people's heads.

From the way you talk I guess you’re a fairly well educated person in such matters. So am I and although having been close on two occasions I walked away after a few years quite happy I’ve never had to use my acquired skills to their fullest extent.

One thing I’ve learned as well, there’s absolutely no point in trying to discuss anything with the opinionated uneducated, they always know best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Vizzy wrote: »
    My favourite are the "silencer" sounds -Phhttt, Phhttt.

But on a side note, when I was applying for my .223 and wanting a moderator I gave a reason that I didn't want to disturb livestock when shooting, my RFD invited the Super ( who lives very close to him) to hear the sound of a "silenced" rifle. Job done.

How about a loudner...

https://youtu.be/-WKM9GDuX0Y

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For some reason the Hurt Locker always annoyed me, the whole Barrett Sniper thing, and everything about that scene, the SF guys, everything. It's was all very A-Team. There was a lot of that in that movie.

I don't even need a movie to be that accurate. I get the whole artistic licence angle. Sometimes though it just gets to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Another peeve.The hero nonchalantly walking away while the equivalency of a tactical nuke goes off in the background in a car, or building containing the dead bad guys.
    Even EOD guys will tell you they would be running like Hell looking for cover in a situation like that if they knew how many seconds they had on the countdown timer. Sht propelled by explosions can carry huge distances,even in controlled explosions.
    EOD motto "If you see us running, try and keep up!"

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

From the way you talk I guess you’re a fairly well educated person in such matters. So am I and although having been close on two occasions I walked away after a few years quite happy I’ve never had to use my acquired skills to their fullest extent.

One thing I’ve learned as well, there’s absolutely no point in trying to discuss anything with the opinionated uneducated, they always know best.

Sounds like us 3 were in the same boat?:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Sounds like us 3 were in the same boat?:eek:

Nah, I was never in that boat. I just live in the real world and understand the mechanics of firearms and injuries.

I meant in our previous lives, not what some simps think is cool to go ink themselves with or have all their knowledge from Hollywoo relating to firearms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement