Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moisture readings in concrete walls

• 29-01-2021 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    I'm looking for information on what normal moisture readings should be for internal concrete walls, floors and plasterboard walls?
    I have been getting random smells of damp from time to time, so I got a handheld moisture meter to take some readings.
    The moisture meter can take readings via pins or a contact sensor on the back and gives a read out in %.

Does anyone know what percentage is considered a normal reading and what percentage would indicate i might have a problem?
    I've checked the attic and vents. No issues that I can see.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It would be useful to say what numbers you have got.
    The other thing is some detail on the gaff, is it a house or farm building or workshop or office or what??
    How is it heated?\is it occupied, by how many persons/ what is the ventilation strategy/ what is the moisture vapour load from what sources?
    what is the age of the gaff/what is is built from etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nm6

It would be useful to say what numbers you have got.
    The other thing is some detail on the gaff, is it a house or farm building or workshop or office or what??
    How is it heated?\is it occupied, by how many persons/ what is the ventilation strategy/ what is the moisture vapour load from what sources?
    what is the age of the gaff/what is is built from etc

Ok thanks for the advice.
    I'm getting around 11% mostly and 19% in places.
    It is a standard detached four bed domestic use house
    Built in 2014
    Family of four occupied all the time
    Standard oil boiler and radiators
    Standard fixed vents in all rooms
    Built of normal blocks
    I dont know what the moisture vapour load is
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

nm6 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking for information on what normal moisture readings should be for internal concrete walls, floors and plasterboard walls?
    I have been getting random smells of damp from time to time, so I got a handheld moisture meter to take some readings.
    The moisture meter can take readings via pins or a contact sensor on the back and gives a read out in %.

Does anyone know what percentage is considered a normal reading and what percentage would indicate i might have a problem?
    I've checked the attic and vents. No issues that I can see.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    First off, how is your moisture meter set up do you know, is it % moisture (u) or % water (w).
    Are there any scales or tables showing dry to wet for different materials?

Next, except in particular circumstances, mostly moisture meters are used to check relative wetness or dryness and not absolute values. So you use it first in a known problem free area, see what it reads and then move it to the suspected area(s) and note any significant change in reading.

Examples of vapour load are higher than normal occupancy, drying clothes on rads, lots of potted plants, active water leaks, several aquaria i.e. anything with produces and releases water vapour into the internal air.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    First off, how is your moisture meter set up do you know, is it % moisture (u) or % water (w).
    Are there any scales or tables showing dry to wet for different materials?

Next, except in particular circumstances, mostly moisture meters are used to check relative wetness or dryness and not absolute values. So you use it first in a known problem free area, see what it reads and then move it to the suspected area(s) and note any significant change in reading.

Examples of vapour load are higher than normal occupancy, drying clothes on rads, lots of potted plants, active water leaks, several aquaria i.e. anything with produces and releases water vapour into the internal air.

Thanks for explaining that..... My meter says it measures % relative moisture. See attached data sheet. There is a Low/Med/High reference.
    Most of my readings on the internal plasterboard covering the external walls are 11% which is in the Low range. Then some of the internal concrete walls that are not covered by plasterboard are 19% which is in the Medium range.
    There is no drying of clothes in this area, no aquariums, no known leaks, normal occupancy and no signs of condensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Those meters are fairly useless. The moisture on the surface is no indication of the moisture of the material underneath.

Take a cold concrete wall. It could be quite dry inside but any moisture from the house can condense on it giving a high reading on the surface.

Take a look at this https://www.heritage-house.org/damp-and-condensation/the-ping-prong-meter-guilty-of-fraud.html .

Peter Ward is your man for advice on Youtube and this is how he tests for moisture

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Those meters are fairly useless. The moisture on the surface is no indication of the moisture of the material underneath.

Take a cold concrete wall. It could be quite dry inside but any moisture from the house can condense on it giving a high reading on the surface.

Take a look at this https://www.heritage-house.org/damp-and-condensation/the-ping-prong-meter-guilty-of-fraud.html .

Peter Ward is your man for advice on Youtube and this is how he tests for moisture

Thats unreal!
    Thanks for the insight. Never would have thought this.

Advertisement