Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too early to sow grass ?

Options
  • 29-01-2021 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

is it too early to sow grass ?
    I put down a new lawn in October - bits that did grow doing very well but its patchy.
    Too early to sow more ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Yeah I'd wait till mid spring. Its to cold now and the birds would probably have most of it gone before it gets warm enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Yeah I'd wait till mid spring. Its to cold now and the birds would probably have most of it gone before it gets warm enough.

What would be defined as mid spring? And I also assume it's location dependent? I.e. South West Cork versus say North Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

legend99 wrote: »
    What would be defined as mid spring? And I also assume it's location dependent? I.e. South West Cork versus say North Donegal?

That should have said spring. But basically it will come down to how warm early spring is. Grass won't germinate at ground temps under 8. (Its been a fairly cold winter so far) Planting now seeds could blow away or get eaten . Also if the ground is to wet that doesn't help either.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    is it too early to sow grass ?
    I put down a new lawn in October - bits that did grow doing very well but its patchy.
    Too early to sow more ?

thanks

The biggest issue you will have now is heavy rain washing away the seed. When the soil is exposed to heavy rain, it also tends to cause rivulets and ruts so you may end up with an uneven surface after. However, I've sown perfectly good lawns in December and even had seed germinate in January, but it depends on the soil temperature.

Advertisement