Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding Customs Charges

• 29-01-2021 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi. If I order small goods from UK with a value of about €350 and get those goods delivered to a relative in Manchester, can they then post the goods to me via Royal Mail and An Post so I wouldn't have to pay customs charges. Or do they still charge you for items by regular post Just?? Just a thought. Any info much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

No. The same rules apply. If you're just hiding the goods from customs it's smuggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

No. The same rules apply. If you're just hiding the goods from customs it's smuggling.

I mean if they come by regular post are they still scrutinised for fees. I have ordered many items from China and India and never had to pay customs fees when arriving by regular post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭homer911

I mean if they come by regular post are they still scrutinised for fees. I have ordered many items from China and India and never had to pay customs fees when arriving by regular post.

Yes. In relation to China/India you probably got lucky - expect this to tighten up from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

All incoming third country post goes through Customs. This now includes YK post. Obviously it cannot all be thoroughly checked, so things will get through. However, with lots of new customs staff for Brexit, I suspect checking will now be much more stringent, and by seeking to evade charges, you are potentially deliberately smuggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Asking for advice on breaking the law is not allowed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement