Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With Wifi Extender

• 29-01-2021 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Ok Got a Tp Link RE650 WIFI extender just for the one room

So, went thought the set up and extended the 5G and 2.4G so showing as 2.4g_EXT and 5g_EXT. I can connect to the 5g ext. no problem. I use Android phone & Laptop for WIFI and PC is hardwired However when I try to connect to the 2.4g on the phone I have to insert the password again, even though saved? So, insert password and keep getting Obtaining If Address and I cannot connect

So, I change the IP settings to Static and then change the last 3 digits of the IP address to 255 but leave the gateway IP address as is. Then I can connect to the 2.4G ext. but it is saying Connected. No internet

I have the Virgin modem router bridged and using TP Archer and have not done the turn off and on routine. Also don’t know the login password for the Archer so don’t want to do a reset.

So just looking on any suggestions on how to fix the connection issues to the 2.4g EXT on WIFI and is there a streamless flow. So whatever signal is the strongest it will connect to this?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The fact that the 5GHz is working suggests that the extender is well in range of the main router. In the room you're in is there many other WiFi networks showing up? There might be interferance from neighbours or other deviced, maybe get a network scanner app on your phone to see if there's many networks showing in the same range so it might be a simple thing of just moving your 2.4 network to a new band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Clareman wrote: »
    The fact that the 5GHz is working suggests that the extender is well in range of the main router. In the room you're in is there many other WiFi networks showing up? There might be interferance from neighbours or other deviced, maybe get a network scanner app on your phone to see if there's many networks showing in the same range so it might be a simple thing of just moving your 2.4 network to a new band.

Thanks

My 4 wifi networks showing and 7 others showing also. Got scanner from playstore but not sure what i am looking for? Can see 12 devices and some
    I recognise ie TP Link,Philips Lighting, nvidia but also showing Amazon,Samsung and Giga Byte not sure of with different IP addresses?

I can connect to the regular 2.4g just not the ext

To change to new band what is required?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks

My 4 wifi networks showing and 7 others showing also. Got scanner from playstore but not sure what i am looking for? Can see 12 devices and some
    I recognise ie TP Link,Philips Lighting, nvidia but also showing Amazon,Samsung and Giga Byte not sure of with different IP addresses?

I can connect to the regular 2.4g just not the ext

To change to new band what is required?

I think this covers how to do it https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1267/

Clareman wrote: »
    I think this covers how to do it https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1267/

Thanks

So on the laptop do the below to change the band?

Go to Settings > Wireless > Extended Network.

2) The wireless radio is enabled by default. If you want to disable the wireless function of a certain band, just clear the Enable checkbox. In this case, all the wireless settings of this band will be invalid

This would only hide it that correct not sure ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

So, I change the IP settings to Static and then change the last 3 digits of the IP address to 255 but leave the gateway IP address as is

.255 is the broadcast address, so not a good ip address to pick. Pick anything between 1 and 254, i take it your netmask is /24

• Advertisement

lardarse wrote: »
    So, I change the IP settings to Static and then change the last 3 digits of the IP address to 255 but leave the gateway IP address as is

.255 is the broadcast address, so not a good ip address to pick. Pick anything between 1 and 254, i take it your netmask is /24

Changed it to 254 and same issue?

Not sure what you mean by netmask? The IP and Gateway are 192 and the Subnet mask is 255

Anyone else able to assist with this.. Phone connection to 2.4 ghz ok but when I'm in room with extender phone switched to the 2.4 ghz extension and doesn't connect

Haven't done the turn off and on router bit. Not sure if that would clear anything up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

I change the IP settings to Static and then change the last 3 digits of the IP address to 255
    Why do you change IP address to 255? Try something lower like 250 or 200 and see if that works

I change the IP settings to Static and then change the last 3 digits of the IP address to 255
    Why do you change IP address to 255? Try something lower like 250 or 200 and see if that works

Was having Internet issues and rebooted router and modem and all working fine now

Advertisement