Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Martin and the Shamrock fiasco

Options
  • 29-01-2021 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Mr Martin's ego trip to Washington on St. Patrick's Day will most likely not go ahead.
    There would be a massive public backlash against him.
    It just shows how out of touch the government is with the mood of Irish people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

But our leaders always fellate the US President on Paddy's Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

But our leaders always fellate the US President on Paddy's Day!

Or, you know, every year we have a historically guaranteed face-to-face meeting with the President/Speaker/House leaders that a lot of small countries in the world would kill for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

But sure Biden is Irish isn't he? He'll look after us no we need to be polite and visit him. He'll have covid gone and our economy back to normal in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Fiasco? Where? What?

1st I've heard of anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Or, you know, every year we have a historically guaranteed face-to-face meeting with the President/Speaker/House leaders that a lot of small countries in the world would kill for.
    I never said there wasnt a return...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't think Mehole realises how much of a political own goal it would be for him to piss off to the States at a time when Irish citizens who are legally in the States on various work visas cannot return home to Ireland as they won't be able to return.

All to bring a bowl of Shamrock to Joseph "begorrah I am from Mayo" Biden.

Especially considering how much Leo's visit ended up being extremely short sighted last year, having to tell thousands of business owners that they would be closed for the foreseeable future, in his pyjamas from the White House. Leo should have made his excuses and travelled home straight away once it became clear how bad the situation was.

i doubt any irish politian is so out of touch,

That they choose to go ahead with this.

Seriously ill advised, this will not go down well with the public and there will be a spike after us getting things under control.

They should do a web call with our ambassador handing over the bowl of shamrocks. On the we call they can bring in Irish business leaders and showcase the greenlit sights.

As Taoiseach his primary role right now is to lead by example so needs to stay on the island where necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

Scoondal wrote: »
    Mr Martin's ego trip to Washington on St. Patrick's Day will most likely not go ahead.

Does not compute.

Are you saying he should go?

I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I hope they use the new Chinese anal swabs to test for Cvoid when he comes back into the country.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210128/china-using-anal-swabs-for-covid-testing

Shaming people for flying when he's off to the worst country in the world for cases and deaths.

• Advertisement

"We're all in this together, except when it suits me". Return that bowl of shamrock to the sod and send out a message to the Irish people that MM can lead by example. Practice what you preach or your credibility is down the tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Allinall wrote: »
    Does not compute.

I'm confused.

hashtag me too and all that.

If he doesn't go it can only be a good thing and showing he's IN touch?

Do you have a reliable source for your claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

I'm booked for Lanzarote at Easter.
    My accomodation is paid for and non-refundable. If the flight is going, we are on it. If we need tests, I think things will be more streamlined by then.
    I booked it on 28 November when things were looking good. I have travel insurance.
    Nothing is certain in life ... we have to learn to roll with the punches.

Hypocrisy of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

This is a terrible decision on the part of the Taoiseach. What kind of signal will it send out to people who've obeyed lockdown rules? A vanity trip. If Joe Biden loves Ireland as much as he says he does this trip, to court and help promote all thing Irish, is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Does not compute.

I'm confused.

Sorry, I meant he shows that he is out of touch with a lot of people by planning to go and not realising his hypocrisy.

Sorry, I meant he shows that he is out of touch with a lot of people by planning to go and not realising his hypocrisy.

Where has it been officially announced that he is actually going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Do you have a reliable source for your claim?

Shinner-bot's don't need sources.

Actuall that was mean, no evidence OP is a shinner-bot, I take it backl.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭French Toast

One rule for them, another for us.

But it'll be grand. They'll re-run that poetry-slam style nonsense after the Six One to remind us we're all in this together or some other shíte.

The is effectively pre-outrage. A new type of outrage. Outrage before something happens and something that is unlikely to happen as well. You even say it is unlikely to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,159 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Funny the way they do business these days, like something out of Dad's Army, with some sap pushed out of the bunker to see if the coast is clear.

Poor Paschal drew the short straw this time, to go on media and announce that he thinks Micheál should go...meanwhile back in the bunker they are doubtless sampling public opinion and sitting down analysing it before a decision.

Needs an Oliver Callan sketch with Micheál ironing his underpants and folding them into a suitcase in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭mrpdap

Has he said he’s going?

bocaman wrote: »
    This is a terrible decision on the part of the Taoiseach. What kind of signal will it send out to people who've obeyed lockdown rules? A vanity trip. If Joe Biden loves Ireland as much as he says he does this trip, to court and help promote all thing Irish, is unnecessary.

No decision yet. Moar pre outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The is effectively pre-outrage. A new type of outrage. Outrage before something happens and something that is unlikely to happen as well. You even say it is unlikely to happen.

Pre outrage or faux outrage considering he has a holiday to Lanzarote booked himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

Hypocrisy of the highest order.

Ouch! Badly caught out there
    Oh dear.

Brian O'Donovan can be our Special Envoy until COVID passes.

Do people realise how much is spent highlighting Ireland at Paddy's day? We pay countries to put green lights if their buildings and dye in their water ffs!

Biden hsvibg Irish ancestry is a bonus that should be exploited so that when we reopen and when we have a Paddy's day it can be used to it's absolute maximum because the fight for tourism dollars will be even bigger

Set up a zoom call. Send the shamrock by post. Have the Irish ambassador at the other end to hand it over. Biden will turn up, he seems genuinely interested in the country.

( The Queen meets with new Ambassadors like that. They still come to Buckingham Palace via the standard gold carriage that is used for new ambassadors, but she is in a different room and the audience is over some video link).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I would just like to say I'm outraged. I'm not sure exactly why, or about what. But I'm definitely outraged. And once the mob forms I'll definitely join and echo all of their arguments. I should run the country because I can form an opinion about anything very quickly. And sure as long as most other people who also have a propensity for being outraged at the drop of a hat agree with me, sure what else is required. But I have a holiday and flights booked for a few months time, so I'll need time off for that. I'm also going to sneak off to meet up my friends and family for non-socially distanced coffee from time-to-time. And I'm going to drive the family 20k or so to Phoenix Park for a day out at the weekend. But sure, what harm. Its not like there'll be any journos or photographers or curtain twitchers who recognise me. I'll be outraged when I'm there though. Sure it's all a disgrace like. We should close the borders and get Zero Covid. Except for my holiers obviously. Shower of incompetents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Where has it been officially announced that he is actually going?

It hasn't (and I doubt it will), but never let that stop them being outraged just in case.

This must be the new catchprase for the same people that were shouting "Shut The Borders" for the past week until they got put in their place by everyone pointing out that their soundbite was absolutely unworkable

Advertisement