Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Martin and the Shamrock fiasco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

America isn't taking the virus seriously. The large inauguration and the thousands at the Super bowl final the other day is indicative of their appalling attitude to the virus.

Dominic Cummings fallout is exactly what is on my mind when thinking of how this will be perceived.

That was catastrophic for the UK response. It will make a good case study when the dust settles.

People are weary and looking for any excuse to be non compliant and this might be handing them one on a platter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Our relations with America must be extremely fragile as so many want the Taoiseach to go.

How bad are relations?

Our relations with the US would survive MM not going but accepting the invitation would still be more beneficial than not.
    Are the Irish people going to suddenly stop complying with regulations because MM accepts an invite to the US.
    Are we really that shallow and unable to think for ourselves. This will not be a holiday for the Taoiseach, it will be a political visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have been invited to 2 house parties this weekend already. The youth have had enough after hearing yet again (via leaks to media at FF and FG meetings) we would be in a prolonged lockdown and now Mickey is going on holidays.

If you can't understand the difference between two house parties and a State visit to Washington, it is difficult to know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I have been invited to 2 house parties this weekend already. The youth have had enough after hearing yet again (via leaks to media at FF and FG meetings) we would be in a prolonged lockdown and now Mickey is going on holidays.

Just make sure you don't have the tape recorder up too loud !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,691 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

America isn't taking the virus seriously. The large inauguration and the thousands at the Super bowl final the other day is indicative of their appalling attitude to the virus.

There wasn't a large crowd at the inauguration. You know this.

joe40 wrote: »
    Our relations with the US would survive MM not going but accepting the invitation would still be more beneficial than not.
    Are the Irish people going to suddenly stop complying with regulations because MM accepts an invite to the US.
    Are we really that shallow and unable to think for ourselves. This will not be a holiday for the Taoiseach, it will be a political visit.

Vague and unspecific benefits of such a visit.

There wasn't a large crowd at the inauguration. You know this.

Hundreds of people, many travelled from around America. That's a large crowd.

Garth Brooks hugged several people after he sung.

Americans can't be trusted with the virus and aren't taking the steps taken here in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Id love to see a poll. Anyone ive been talking to in the College class is totally against him going (and that would include the posh ones)

I am just trying to work out what relevance this has? how would you describe a "posh one"?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eireholidays

I am just trying to work out what relevance this has? how would you describe a "posh one"?

The ones whos came from private schools, that mammy and daddy are paying for them through college while most of the class would have part time jobs to pay throughout college.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    If you can't understand the difference between two house parties and a State visit to Washington, it is difficult to know where to start.

I do know the difference.

Im saying the youth don't care anymore, as can be seen out on my street today, Kids are all out playing (They were not upto this week)

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Just make sure you don't have the tape recorder up too loud !

I am not attending but I will be having 2 or 3 friends over and no the door will not be answered if anyone calls.

Hundreds of people, many travelled from around America. That's a large crowd.

Garth Brooks hugged several people after he sung.

Americans can't be trusted with the virus and aren't taking the steps taken here in Europe.

Everyone who attended had been tested immediately prior to attending.
    Given that recent inaugurations have been attended by hundreds of thousands, a crowd of hundreds is by no means a large crowd. More so given the open nature of the event and the obvious social distancing in play (aside from Brooks), you either didn't see it or are misrepresenting it.

I'm living in the US and where I am we have been wearing masks all the time in public since last May and specifically inside any shops. That is only happening in Ireland in the last couple of months.

I am not attending but I will be having 2 or 3 friends over and no the door will not be answered if anyone calls.

Won't be much fun for your friends to spend the evening on the doorstep...

Given that recent inaugurations have been attended by hundreds of thousands, a crowd of hundreds is by no means a large crowd. More so given the open nature of the event and the obvious social distancing in play (aside from Brooks), you either didn't see it or are misrepresenting it.

I'm living in the US and where I am we have been wearing masks all the time in public since last May and specifically inside any shops. That is only happening in Ireland in the last couple of months.

Americans want to wear masks and nothing else. Cases and deaths are enormous.

Americans just not taking it seriously enough I'm afraid.

The ones whos came from private schools, that mammy and daddy are paying for them through college while most of the class would have part time jobs to pay throughout college.

I know when I was in college the whole point was mixing with people from all backgrounds etc, didn't matter where the person came frome etc. Maybe college has changed since then when people have to stick labels on everyone. Hopefully not because that is a major backwards step

Won't be much fun for your friends to spend the evening on the doorstep...

Your freaking hilarious. 3 of my close friends have keys to my house, as they would regularly check in on my dogs when im working nights

Another sweeping statement.

Is this your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I know when I was in college the whole point was mixing with people from all backgrounds etc, didn't matter where the person came frome etc. Maybe college has changed since then when people have to stick labels on everyone. Hopefully not because that is a major backwards step

It is more that some college students carry around chips the size of logs on their shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Have you seen the resulting spread of one person on a flight?

• Advertisement

Have you seen the resulting spread of one person on a flight?

I know you are concerned for Michael Martin safety but I am sure the tax payer can pay for an entire flight on his own :-) that would really get Pearse shouting and roaring

It is more that some college students carry around chips the size of logs on their shoulders.

You reply to a statement "Maybe college has changed since then when people have to stick labels on everyone." with "some college students carry around chips the size of logs on their shoulders."

Spoofer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Sends a bad message MM going for glory to the WH.
    Biden has already spoke on the relationship he has with Ireland and plans to visit. While I support going over on Paddy's, not during a global pandemic.
    More about MM's ego than trade or relations.

Why wouldn't they? Young people are shafted again and again in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sends a bad message MM going for glory to the WH.
    Biden has already spoke on the relationship he has with Ireland and plans to visit. While I support going over on Paddy's, not during a global pandemic.
    More about MM's ego than trade or relations.

Leo's ego allowed him to justify meeting the likes of Trump (there were enough reasons not to without a pandemic) even when an unknown virus was raging. What will Micheál's ego allow him to do, considering he went into government with a party he said he never would.

No point depending on these lads sense of duty anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

Dominic Cummings fallout is exactly what is on my mind when thinking of how this will be perceived.

That was catastrophic for the UK response. It will make a good case study when the dust settles.

People are weary and looking for any excuse to be non compliant and this might be handing them one on a platter.

Dominic Cummings made a personal trip with his family to a tourist spot while displaying symptoms of covid, and was rightly criticised for it.

Many UK politicians were travelling for essential government business at the same time. Boris Johnson travelled to Brussels for Brexit negotiations for example. This was not criticised, because you'd have to either be a complete idiot or intentionally disingenuous to not recognise the difference between flouting the rules and conducting government business in the interest of the country.

Not to mention the thousands of couriers and others who travelled and continue to travel across borders because essential business is essential business. Should we be demonising them because they get to travel to other countries as part of their job?

quokula wrote: »
    Dominic Cummings made a personal trip with his family to a tourist spot while displaying symptoms of covid, and was rightly criticised for it.

Many UK politicians were travelling for essential government business at the same time. Boris Johnson travelled to Brussels for Brexit negotiations for example. This was not criticised, because you'd have to either be a complete idiot or intentionally disingenuous to not recognise the difference between flouting the rules and conducting government business in the interest of the country.

Not to mention the thousands of couriers and others who travelled and continue to travel across borders because essential business is essential business. Should we be demonising them because they get to travel to other countries as part of their job?

Most people you will find have no idea about what Dominic Cummings did, they just fire out the name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Martin's really played this poorly. He looks like he's clawing for an invite.
    A picture for his office wall before his brief stint as Taoiseach is over.
    Contact should have been made with the US state dept to knock this on the head weeks ago.
    Joint statement from both governments stating that although a visit would have been fantastic, common sense and the common good means that the visit is postponed. Biden invites Martin to DC later this year and Martin reciprocates.
    A zoom call on St Patrick's day with the bowl of shamrock prominently displayed on the Resolute desk in the White House.
    Job done.

Of all the US presidents we have needed to plamas over the years, Biden is one we don't need to worry about. He openly boasts of his Irish heritage. I bet he wears a Mayo jersey to bed for gods sake

Most people you will find have no idea about what Dominic Cummings did, they just fire out the name

People know what Mickey is doing. Going on an unnecessary trip to America. Who all will be going, just Mickey himself? If 1 member of his family goes, that will be the end for this Govt

• Advertisement

People know what Mickey is doing. Going on an unnecessary trip to America. Who all will be going, just Mickey himself? If 1 member of his family goes, that will be the end for this Govt

Maybe I missed it but has it been confirmed yet he is going?

Advertisement