Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Martin and the Shamrock fiasco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

You can go beyond the 5k limit for work, groceries etc.

This is a jolly not work, rearrange for the Autumn, a lot more will be thought of him for it,

SF had no problem breaking the 5km range when one of them wanted to get onto TV the other day. I would think if he does go to the US that is a bit more important than getting onto the TV for a few mins

Big picture doesn't come easy to the mad priest does it? 5million people are currently observing restrictions, when they see someone preaching to them that this is for their own good almost daily on TV then doing the complete opposite it will not go down well, Ease back on the communion wine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This is a jolly not work, rearrange for the Autumn, a lot more will be thought of him for it,

I'm no fan of MM or any of the current government but going to Washington on St. Patrick's day might seem like a jolly, but it's good politics and good for business and it certainly is work. Meeting and greeting is a big part of politics.

Many small insignificant countries (of which we are one) would kill to have one-on-one access with one of the most powerful people on earth every year.

It makes business sense to go meet the US President every year.

MM can isolate/restrict his movements and work from home for two weeks when he comes back.

I don't see what the big deal is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm no fan of MM or any of the current government but going to Washington on St. Patrick's day might seem like a jolly, but it's good politics and good for business and it certainly is work. Meeting and greeting is a big part of politics.

Many small insignificant countries (of which we are one) would kill to have one-on-one access with one of the most powerful people on earth every year.

MM can isolate/restrict his movements and work from home for two weeks when he comes back.

The people thinking it is some pointless jolly are just on the wind up. Nobody can actually believe that.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The people thinking it is some pointless jolly are just on the wind up. Nobody can actually believe that.

You'd be surprised what people believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 eireholidays

If he goes He will only be attending alone i assume. None of his family can go or or they would be faced with a 2k fine each

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

DO we really want business people so removed from the real world that they cannot understand that a Taoiseach might have to do something for the greater good?

If they don't understand that, or if Joe takes offence, they can all sling their hook. Who wants people like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Its outrage as the leaders in The North to get the public on board the restrictions both said they would not attend this year if asked to attend.

Mickey has decided he will go if asked ignoring the we are all in this together.

My Holidays are booked for next month, cant wait now tbh
    Nonsense people are getting dropped off at the McDonalds beside the airport and walking to terminal, not passing any checkpoints.

I live in the area and the Gardai are in the same area every day.

I could walk over now and get into the terminal without seeing the Gardai numerous ways.

Theres also people using Dublin as a stop over coming from Dubai to get into UK. They dont leave the airport.
    Im going to visit a sick relative, Bye Gardai.

So you have a holiday booked, you are giving instructions on how to avoid AGS at the airport and you are suggesting an excuse for travelling.

With respect, you just blew your right to complain about MM's working trip.

DO we really want business people so removed from the real world that they cannot understand that a Taoiseach might have to do something for the greater good?

If they don't understand that, or if Joe takes offence, they can all sling their hook. Who wants people like that?

How is MM staying home for the greater good?

You don't think Ireland benefits from these meetings?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eireholidays

elperello wrote: »
    So you have a holiday booked, you are giving instructions on how to avoid AGS at the airport and you are suggesting an excuse for travelling.

Yes im planning on going on holidays. Im using the route everyone else is using. You should go and sit in McDonalds for 20 mins and u will see a good few suitcases been dragged past
    I will be going to paint my fathers holiday home (essential work) but i dont want some gardai slapping me with a fine that he or she dosnt want to give

If Mickey brings the family, They can go by McDonalds and hide it or face the 1k fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

elperello wrote: »

Anyone who would use this potential trip as an excuse to not follow the guidelines, aren't going to follow the guidelines anyway.

Just looking for an excuse to whinge.

If the medical authorities in the US and here believe the trip can go ahead safely then that is good enough for me.

It is a political meeting for both leaders not a holiday.

How is MM staying home for the greater good?

You don't think Ireland benefits from these meetings?

Ireland benefits from inward tourism etc etc...unfortunately that isn't possible.

People should not be travelling unless absolutely necessary...this is the message that must be sent out and that is being sent out. Ireland would 'benefit' if that was observed from the top down and the people could see that 'we' really 'are in this together'.

Ireland benefits from inward tourism etc etc...unfortunately that isn't possible.

People should not be travelling unless absolutely necessary...this is the message that must be sent out and that is being sent out. Ireland would 'benefit' if that was observed from the top down and the people could see that 'we' really 'are in this together'.

Look, I'm not going to stay arguing with you because you've blinkers on and can't seem to see the bigger picture.

Every year tradition dictates that we have a meeting with the US President every single St. Patrick's Day. This involves meeting lots of the political big wigs/business leaders over there and everybody agrees that this is good for business.

If we don't go this year, who is to say that's the end of the tradition? No more guaranteed yearl meetings with the (arguably) most powerful person on the planet.

It makes more sense for MM to go to the US than it does to sit here and keep a few disgruntled people happy.

I'm one of those people p1ssed off because of the lockdown but at least I can see that there are more benefits to be had by MM going than by him staying put and missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes im planning on going on holidays. Im using the route everyone else is using. You should go and sit in McDonalds for 20 mins and u will see a good few suitcases been dragged past
    I will be going to paint my fathers holiday home (essential work) but i dont want some gardai slapping me with a fine that he or she dosnt want to give

If Mickey brings the family, They can go by McDonalds and hide it or face the 1k fine

As the old people used to say "it's worse you are improving" :)

Look, I'm not going to stay arguing with you because you've blinkers on and can't seem to see the bigger picture.

Every year tradition dictates that we have a meeting with the US President every single St. Patrick's Day. This involves meeting lots of the political big wigs/business leaders over there and everybody agrees that this is good for business.

If we don't go this year, who is to say that's the end of the tradition? No more guaranteed yearl meetings with the (arguably) most powerful person on the planet.

It makes more sense for MM to go to the US than it does to sit here and keep a few disgruntled people happy.

I'm one of those people p1ssed off because of the lockdown but at least I can see that there are more benefits to be had by MM going than by him staying put and missing out.

Whatever, that is your opinion. I have no doubt those who think the restrictions/lockdowns don't apply to them, justify what they do in the same way. E.G. Sure why not open wet pubs...in 'my' opinion there are more benefits opening than closing'.

Why wouldn't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Unfortunately, I think they do believe that stuff.

One of them thinks that the ordinary banks are the Central Bank.

Another thinks that the country would be financially better off if all the MNCs pulled out of Ireland

Finally, one thought that his mate was allowed go to the pub at Christmas for a Christmas party from work even though only three households were allowed mix.

There is no shortage of weird stuff being believed around here.

blanch152 wrote: »

Another thinks that the country would be financially better off if all the MNCs pulled out of Ireland

Finally, one thought that his mate was allowed go to the pub at Christmas for a Christmas party from work even though only three households were allowed mix.

Unfortunately, there’s no legislating for stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

blanch152 wrote: »

It really is hilarious. Every thread the same people are questioning people's knowledge on topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I don't think much of him at the moment, even less if he craves to the moany brigade.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The 2,000 euro fine is an on the spot fine, if you want to contest it you'll have to prove to a judge your mother is buried in Tenerife. They have burial records in Spain so it will be up to you to prove it, otherwise that will be 2,000 euros.

Gardai are reasonable but they love coming down like a ton of bricks on people who think they can beat the system. I can see those who try being found out, ending up in court and then being the subject of a good story in the tabloids.

100% this. It's a major bugbear of Gardaí when people think they know the law better than them, and they get huge enjoyment of proving people otherwise. Huge enjoyment.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭chrisd2019

Scoondal wrote: »
    Mr Martin's ego trip to Washington on St. Patrick's Day will most likely not go ahead.
    There would be a massive public backlash against him.
    It just shows how out of touch the government is with the mood of Irish people.

He will not be going anywhere, but that will not stop the media ect having a few page fillers about it.
    No point in saying much more about it.

There are much more important things to think about.....:)

I don't think much of him at the moment, even less if he craves to the moany brigade.

Going by reports elsewhere he might be all dressed up and nowhere to go, Irish America may have had a word in Biden 's ear,

With a new man in there, one with Irish heritage, he should go if invited. There's about 100k jobs directly employed by US companies in Ireland and Irish companies employ about 90k in America, so its a very important relationship. A lot of Americans want those jobs back in America. And I agree with him when he says " Most governments would give their right arm to help protect those opportunities that we normally and ordinarily have on Patrick's day".

Anyway, as it stands, he hasn't even been invited.

With a new man in there, one with Irish heritage, he should go if invited. .

There has been a standing invitation since 1956. Martin is not 'waiting for an invite', he is playing the field to gauge public reaction in time honoured cynical FF fashion. He'll do whatever the think tank testing the waters advise him to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

The man is a Muppet.

"It's not a Holiday... It's work.... It'll bring jobs......"

It's a JUNKET!!!

I employ more people in Ireland than Mehole does. I also bring more money into Ireland than Mehole does. Yet I can manage to do this all from 4000miles away!

He can conduct any business over a phone line or by Zoom.

Will he be quarantining in the State Run hotels paid for by himself and not the tax payers upon his return? My hole he will.

There has been a standing invitation since 1956.

I guess 2021 may be a little different from 1956, so there may not be an invitation forthcoming. It's actually quite difficult to gauge public reaction on this. Some will be annoyed if he goes, some will be equally annoyed if he doesn't go. Personally I think he should go, if invited.

I guess 2021 may be a little different from 1956, so there may not be an invitation forthcoming. It's actually quite difficult to gauge public reaction on this. Some will be annoyed if he goes, some will be equally annoyed if he doesn't go. Personally I think he should go, if invited.

It's not, the Stormont Executive Office issued a joint statement to say Michelle O Neill and Arlene Foster would not be going.

Unless they get invited before the Taoiseach?

It's not, the Stormont Executive Office issued a joint statement to say Michelle O Neill and Arlene Foster would not be going.

Unless they get invited before the Taoiseach?

Good for them. Should have zero bearing on whether MM accepts an invitation or not. ZERO

Good for them. Should have zero bearing on whether MM accepts an invitation or not. ZERO

How so? Wouldn't it be a perfect example for everyone on the island?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I support the annual visit, however I feel MM may have set himself up for a fall here as I don't think the White House will agree with it this year. No other leaders I'm aware of have been at the WH or have been invited during the current pandemic phase.

If it goes ahead no issue with him going though.

Particularly given our NI issues and instability in Britain.

Advertisement