Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Martin and the Shamrock fiasco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

How so? Wouldn't it be a perfect example for everyone on the island?

I'm genuinely struggling why you think it would. If Foster and O'Neill don't want to go, fine, fully accept that. It shouldn't affect what Martin does, not even in the slightest.

The reasons on why Martin should go IF invited have been discussed at length, you clearly don't agree, that's fine.

I feel he should go if invited, without the large entourage of previous years. I'd expect that he'd be tested and follow all the protocols etc.

As it stands, Biden may not want to hold what may be seen as a "super spreader event" and may decide to skip it this year. Genuinely think that's the most likely outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm genuinely struggling why you think it would. If Foster and O'Neill don't want to go, fine, fully accept that. It shouldn't affect what Martin does, not even in the slightest.

The reasons on why Martin should go IF invited have been discussed at length, you clearly don't agree, that's fine.

I feel he should go if invited, without the large entourage of previous years. I'd expect that he'd be tested and follow all the protocols etc.

As it stands, Biden may not want to hold what may be seen as a "super spreader event" and may decide to skip it this year. Genuinely think that's the most likely outcome.

Meanwhile the damage is done here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

The best solution to this most Irish of problems would be to invite Joe back to his ancestral home in Co Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Sorolla wrote: »
    The best solution to this most Irish of problems would be to invite Joe back to his ancestral home in Co Louth.

He is already invited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

How so? Wouldn't it be a perfect example for everyone on the island?

Talk about the tail wagging the dog....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Leo's ego allowed him to justify meeting the likes of Trump (there were enough reasons not to without a pandemic) even when an unknown virus was raging. What will Micheál's ego allow him to do, considering he went into government with a party he said he never would.

No point depending on these lads sense of duty anyhow.

Ah yes, Trump....
    SF would NEVER lower themselves to meeting the likes of Trump....

Oh Wait..

cropped_black_and_white_Gerry_Adams_Donald_Trump.jpg?t=1499854785

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Sinn fein supporters on here puttin themselves first and the country second........

This..

SF supporters would rather Ireland be poor and destitute so long as they have their way. For so-called Irish Nationalists to be so tone-deaf on what is better for the country as a whole, they really are ignorant of the reality here.

markodaly wrote: »
    Ah yes, Trump....

Oh Wait..

I'd say Trump met anyone who was anyone back in the day. Wonder did Gerry sort out any planning applications for him?

Leo was a bit too friendly in my opinion when we all knew what the Donald was like at that stage.

I'd say Trump met anyone who was anyone back in the day. Wonder did Gerry sort out any planning applications for him?

Leo was a bit too friendly in my opinion when we all knew what the Donald was like at that stage.

Its funny though, being seen with Trump is bad news for most people, but what is worse?
    Being seen with SF murdering terrorists. :D

Trump got in hot water over his meeting with SF/PIRA lads back in the 90's....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/09/donald-trump-ireland-sinn-fein-terrorism
    For decades, Sinn Féin and the IRA were the political and military wings of the Irish republican movement, and the party was frequently accused of being an apologist for terror.

Trump and Adams met in the Essex Hotel in Manhattan in March 1995 at an event organised by the US-based Friends of Sinn Fein.

You know you are in the $hit when you are less socially acceptable than Trump!!

Its funny though, being seen with Trump is bad news for most people, but what is worse?
    Being seen with SF murdering terrorists. :D

Trump got in hot water over his meeting with SF/PIRA lads back in the 90's....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/09/donald-trump-ireland-sinn-fein-terrorism

You know you are in the $hit when you are less socially acceptable than Trump!!
    Didn't seem to bother every US president for the last 40 years.

Imagine being found out doing planning favours for Trump though.

• Advertisement

Didn't seem to bother every US president for the last 40 years.

What is SF doing associating themselves with warmongers?

What is SF doing associating themselves with warmongers?

Probably because American presidents were more likely to stand up to the British than Irish Taoisigh? Any port in a storm and weren't they right.

Probably because American presidents were more likely to stand up to the British than Irish Taoisigh? Any port in a storm and weren't they right.

Oh, right, we are back to the notion that to be a strong Irish leader one should be ready to invade the North, just to show em...

Or even better, the Free State invade the North back in the 1920's....
    What is it with Irish Nationalists and the concept of a blood sacrifice?

We have been there, done that, and you were laughed out of the place Francie.
    Let us not speak of that again. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I see that the usual SF/IRA shills are all over this thread.

Does it surprise anyone.

Oh, right, we are back to the notion that to be a strong Irish leader one should be ready to invade the North, just to show em...

Or even better, the Free State invade the North back in the 1920's....
    What is it with Irish Nationalists and the concept of a blood sacrifice?

We have been there, done that, and you were laughed out of the place Francie.
    Let us not speak of that again. :pac:

Was that the thread you got schooled on the history of partition? Yeh...there was a lot of laughing alright. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

Ah yes, Trump....

Oh Wait..

Game, set, and match Marko. You've just put a multitude of ' nonsense ' posts to bed. Where I'm off to now. Some of us have real work early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Would be pretty hilarious if MM went, Irish Americans and Democrats wouldn’t think much of his anti-SF agenda, .... I mean they wouldn’t if they knew who he was

He’s just a placeholder for Leo, that said, he would be pretty moronic if he went while Ireland was still in lockdown

Would be pretty hilarious if MM went, Irish Americans and Democrats wouldn’t think much of his anti-SF agenda, .... I mean they wouldn’t if they knew who he was

He’s just a placeholder for Leo, that said, he would be pretty moronic if he went while Ireland was still in lockdown

He is on radio today saying we need another 2 months of lockdown...but 'oh, I'm heading off on a trip to the US, you guys keep restricting yourselves now'. Joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

A couple of democratic reps didn’t appreciate his parliamentary response to a question about victims from a SF td herself a victim recently.
    He’s a no mark really and just wants to go for his ego and entitlement. The trip is not essential business. As much as I wouldn’t like Leo he is twice the statesman Martin will ever be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

golfball37 wrote: »
    A couple of democratic reps didn’t appreciate his parliamentary response to a question about victims from a SF td herself a victim recently.
    He’s a no mark really and just wants to go for his ego and entitlement. The trip is not essential business. As much as I wouldn’t like Leo he is twice the statesman Martin will ever be.

Would he then isolate for 2 weeks when he came home?

How ridiculous for the Premier of a Government

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

He is on radio today saying we need another 2 months of lockdown...but 'oh, I'm heading off on a trip to the US, you guys keep restricting yourselves now'. Joke.

He wont be going because the yanks dont want him coming over. End

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭GSBellew

It's not, the Stormont Executive Office issued a joint statement to say Michelle O Neill and Arlene Foster would not be going.

Unless they get invited before the Taoiseach?

Would this happen to be the same Michelle O'Neill that attended the funeral of a convicted murderer attended by circa 1,500 people at a time when the rest of us watched the burial of normal decent non murdering low life's online due to respect for the restrictions in place?

GSBellew wrote: »
    Would this happen to be the same Michelle O'Neill

Yeh, she seems to have learned from her mistake while the leader of the party that lost several members because they broke restrictions for a bitta of a feed and a round of golf with the elites of the media, judicial and banking sectors is dithering about what he should do.

Mad old country too isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Yeh, she seems to have learned from her mistake while the leader of the party that lost several members because they broke restrictions for a bitta of a feed and a round of golf with the elites of the media, judicial and banking sectors is dithering about what he should do.

Mad old country too isn't it.

Mad if people think a scummers funeral, golf trip & a one on one sit down with the US president have the same value to the country, or indeed carry the same risk to spreading covid.

Only one of the three carries any potential benefit to the country, the others ar just assholes being assholes, I'll let you decide for yourself which is which.

Mad if people think a scummers funeral, golf trip & a one on one sit down with the US president have the same value to the country, or indeed carry the same risk to spreading covid.

NOBODY absolutely nobody did that. You can't open your mouth here but somebody is singling out a funeral that happened months ago FFS.
    Only one of the three carries any potential benefit to the country, the others ar just assholes being assholes, I'll let you decide for yourself which is which.

They all have one thing in common...a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So Francie, you want a United Ireland, right?

We are currently in competition with a Tory government that wouldn't skip a heartbeat putting a hard border on this island.

Do you know why they aren't?

It's not the EU or their trade deal - it's the Biden administration.

I think strategically it would send a very strong public message to that Tory government that MM go if invited and as such I believe that is the national interest.

Or would you like the likes of Mark Francios, Mogg and Gove... getting more confident?

I don't think you would like that. Because make no mistake, they are ruthless.

You don't think Martin, Coveney, Varadkar and Richmond...know exactly what they are dealing with?

They do. They know all too well these people represent an existential threat to this country and are only held back by our own alliances and one in particular.

That's why MM should go.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Would this happen to be the same Michelle O'Neill that attended the funeral of a convicted murderer attended by circa 1,500 people at a time when the rest of us watched the burial of normal decent non murdering low life's online due to respect for the restrictions in place?
    ffs, give over about a funeral, do you attack the jusice minister and numerous others for attending the garda funeral which was in breach of regulations, if you do not, you're a hypocrite.
    btw there was no travel restrictions in place at that time.

As for MM, if he goes on this jolly up how can say to people restrict their movements, not travel abroad with a straight abuse. We all know there will be people who will use this as an excuse to further break the guidelines. Show some leadership ffs, don't be like leo last year announcing a lockdown in this country from America.

Darc19 wrote: »
    I see that the usual SF/IRA shills are all over this thread.

Does it surprise anyone.
    so if you don't think he should go on a non essential trip during a pandemic while telling the rest of the country to restrict their movements means you're an sf/ira shill, good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Advertisement