Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Mr Martin and the Shamrock fiasco

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,734 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

McMurphy wrote: »
    But he did say he'd be going - if he was invited, it's literally posted just a few posts before this ^^^^

Here we go again.

Why would you post something that is so piss easily proved to be untrue/false - it's really odd behaviour tbh.

Imagine the American official, going 'to check if the event was going ahead'.

'Eh Joe, sorry to disturb you, but the FF Taoiseach is sitting in Dublin waiting to be invited to the yearly St. Patrick's Day event, what will I tell him'?

:P:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Imagine the American official, going 'to check if the event was going ahead'.

'Eh Joe, sorry to disturb you, but the FF Taoiseach is sitting in Dublin waiting to be invited to the yearly St. Patrick's Day event, what will I tell him'?

:P:P:P

Apart from the fact he was talking to Biden directly, which again I posted on this thread to you. The part when MM invited Biden to Ireland and he reacted with "try & stop me" or something similar

But he did say he'd be going - if he was invited, it's literally posted just a few posts before this ^^^^

Here we go again.

Why would you post something that is so piss easily proved to be untrue/false - it's really odd behaviour tbh.

So let me get this straight, you have a thead of outrage about an event which MM said he might/might not go depending on covid. Which is not even an event going on at all?

And you are still outraged? that is even more embarrassing. So all these posts for something that MM could never go to :P
    You actually couldn't make this up.

Apart from the fact he was talking to Biden directly, which again I posted on this thread to you. The part when MM invited Biden to Ireland and he reacted with "try & stop me" or something similar

I don't think you are up to speed on this CF1. You should download the Twitter App, great for keeping you abreast of the facts. Somebody in the WHite House had to check if the event was even going ahead. :)
    A spokesperson for US President Joe Biden has said that public events at the White House have been limited and that she will check if the traditional St Patrick's Day celebration will go ahead next month

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1359969567494258688

I don't think you are up to speed on this CF1. You should download the Twitter App, great for keeping you abreast of the facts. Somebody in the WHite House had to check if the event was even going ahead. :)

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1359969567494258688

and?
    What exactly is the purpose of this post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

CF1's post are on another level altogether. Must be a FF shill.

This was always about ego, MM wanting the world to see his silly gormless confused gob with the most powerful man in the world. A pic for his mantle-piece, nothing more.

Begging for an invitation. FFS.

If he had used his brain, a Zoom/virtual meeting between the two could have potentially gone viral if played correctly.

But no, he had to once again look like an idiot.

and?
    What exactly is the purpose of this post?

He CLEARLY wasn't talking to anyone in the US about the event he was waiting for an invite to.
    He hadn't, up to last week, spoken to Biden since he became president, he spoke to him when he was President in waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

This was always about ego, MM wanting the world to see his silly gormless confused gob with the most powerful man in the world. A pic for his mantle-piece, nothing more.

If he had used his brain, a Zoom/virtual meeting between the two could have potentially gone viral if played correctly.

Where did he beg for an invitation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So let me get this straight, you have a thead of outrage about an event which MM said he might/might not go depending on covid. Which is not even an event going on at all?

And you are still outraged? that is even more embarrassing. So all these posts for something that MM could never go to :P
    You actually couldn't make this up.

Let me type this slowly....

He. Did. Not. Say. Might/Might. Not. Go.

He said he would go, if he was invited.

Repeat after me.....

Michaél said he would go, if he was invited.

Not a "if I'm invited, due to the ongoing and awful pandemic, I'll obviously need to give it careful consideration"

Or even.

"It is far too early give a decisive response at this stage, due to the ongoing worldwide pandemic, and obviously, if the Whitehouse still wish for the Taoiseach of Ireland to visit, that would involve meticulous and careful thought before a definitive answer could be reached"

The "yeah I'll go if invited" isn't a maybe/might.

Backed the wrong horse chief, sorry bout that.

He CLEARLY wasn't talking to anyone in the US about the event he was waiting for an invite to.
    He hadn't, up to last week, spoken to Biden since he became president, he spoke to him when he was President in waiting.

I think you should do a little more research.
    One quick google and loads of information on direct conversation between the two men.
    Also the interview with CNN. The one me plus loads of others provided in this thread to you confirmed the conversation.
    A link to twitter with some press person is hardly proof now is it?

• Advertisement

Didn't read after this. The speed at which you type is of no concern to me and I doubt anyone on boards is particularly interested.

I still urge you to delete the previous post as I have already explained. This is a public forum which children can read.

I think you should do a little more research.
    One quick google and loads of information on direct conversation between the two men.
    Also the interview with CNN. The one me plus loads of others provided in this thread to you confirmed the conversation.
    A link to twitter with some press person is hardly proof now is it?

Come on...links CF1

Here's what I know about this shambles:

Martin HASN'T in FACT spoken to Biden since he became President.
    At a briefing this week, a government spokesperson confirmed there has been no recent discussions between the Taoiseach and President Joe Biden about the potential for the trip.

The pair spoke by phone after Biden’s election but not since the inauguration, so the formalities around scheduling or an RSVP haven’t arisen.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/micheal-martin-white-house-5344971-Feb2021/

Come on...links CF1

Here's what I know about this shambles:

Martin HASN'T in FACT spoken to Biden since he became President.

You said he wasn't talking to anyone in the US. He might have been talking to his auntie Mary in the US which would mean your post was incorrect,.

Now you are saying they DID in fact talk but you have now changed the goal posts to a specific time when they didn't talk. Talk about changing the goal posts every minute.

(Please note I have no idea if MM has a auntie Mary, if he does great shout by me)

He. Did. Not. Say. Might/Might. Not. Go.

He said he would go, if he was invited.

Repeat after me.....

Michaél said he would go, if he was invited.

Not a "if I'm invited, due to the ongoing and awful pandemic, I'll obviously need to give it careful consideration"

Or even.

"It is far too early give a decisive response at this stage, due to the ongoing worldwide pandemic, and obviously, if the Whitehouse still wish for the Taoiseach of Ireland to visit, that would involve meticulous and careful thought before a definitive answer could be reached"

The "yeah I'll go if invited" isn't a maybe/might.

Backed the wrong horse chief, sorry bout that.

I wonder if there is some personal animosity between Biden and Martin.
    It is odd that he hasn't rung him since he became President. For that not to happen with a President who is so attached to Ireland is unusual.

Remember this embarrassment for Micheál?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/taoiseach-deletes-tweet-wrongly-suggesting-he-spoke-to-joe-biden-39730239.html

How hard was it for Martin's office to lift the phone and call and ask what the reporter asked the US official and avoid this embarrassing episode.

All very odd.

You said he wasn't talking to anyone in the US. He might have been talking to his auntie Mary in the US which would mean your post was incorrect,.

WTF??
    Now you are saying they DID in fact talk but you have now changed the goal posts to a specific time when they didn't talk. Talk about changing the goal posts every minute.

(Please note I have no idea if MM has a auntie Mary, if he does great shout by me)

The ultimate in dis-ingenuous cowardly debating.

I don't support FF
    The people I know who are FF supporters want MM out
    Still I think it is hilarious the outrage about something that was never going to happen

As I posted numerous time on this very thread, even if MM was invited I didn't think he should go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Didn't read after this. The speed at which you type is of no concern to me and I doubt anyone on boards is particularly interested.

I still urge you to delete the previous post as I have already explained. This is a public forum which children can read.

What? Children can read? Seriously

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Still I think it is hilarious the outrage about something that was never going to happen

More dis-ingenuous after the fact bull****.

You didn't know 'it was 'never going to happen', no more than anyone else. Here is what you were saying at the start of the thread.
    As I said from the start he should not go and if he does then another reason to have election after the pandemic. But from what I can see nobody in government has confirmed he will go or not so what exactly is all the outrage posts about?

you are pivoting all over the shop on this thread.

WTF??

The ultimate in dis-ingenuous cowardly debating.
    More dis-ingenuous after the fact bull****.

You didn't know 'it was 'never going to happen', no more than anyone else. Here is what you were saying at the start of the thread.

you are pivoting all over the shop on this thread.

What is debating? A debate is a structured contest over an issue or policy. There are two sides - one supporting, one opposing. Benefits of debating include: Allowing you to think about aspects and perspectives you may not have considered.

Unfortunately you and other don't debate. You lecture everyone, they are wrong you are right, end of story. In this case you have ranted for days about
    1. An event MM never said he was going to at the start of thread
    2. An event that is now not even happening so he could never go

You then accused the Irish government of not talking to the US, then turned around and said they did talk but you wanted over a specific time limit. Plus you have no idea if the two government are talking or not talking at all. Then you accuse people of been dis-ingenuous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Won't somebody please think of the children :eek:

The front page of this forum has threads with such delightful, and kid friendly subjects such as:
    • "Gangland shootings"
    • "Children blackmailed by pedophile"
    • "Tina Satchwell murder"
    • "PSNI officer suspended over incident at site of massacre"

Etc etc etc.

And you want to censor me because I'm posting about the thousands of people who have died due to this pandemic because "children might be reading":confused:

Up. The. Yard. Sir.

• Advertisement

What is debating? A debate is a structured contest over an issue or policy. There are two sides - one supporting, one opposing. Benefits of debating include: Allowing you to think about aspects and perspectives you may not have considered.

Unfortunately you and other don't debate. You lecture everyone, they are wrong you are right, end of story. In this case you have ranted for days about
    1. An event MM never said he was going to at the start of thread
    2. An event that is now not even happening so he could never go

You should always look at the motion in a 'debate'...not arrive to the debate and try and make it about what you want to talk about...or NOT talk about. Here is the OP, an 'OP' being an invitation to 'discuss' something on a DISCUSSION forum.
    Scoondal wrote:
    Mr Martin's ego trip to Washington on St. Patrick's Day will most likely not go ahead.
    There would be a massive public backlash against him.
    It just shows how out of touch the government is with the mood of Irish people.
    You then accused the Irish government of not talking to the US, then turned around and said they did talk but you wanted over a specific time limit. Plus you have no idea if the two government are talking or not talking at all. Then you accuse people of been dis-ingenuous?

The Taoiseach has NOT spoken to the President = FACT
    The Taoiseach HAS spoken to the President Elect = FACT

If the Irish government SPOKE to the US one, how come a journalist had to find out that the 'event' was not happening while the Taoiseach was embarrassingly saying he was 'waiting for an invite'.

So you KNOW they were speaking...back that up. (I say this knowing you back zilch up)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

It's a pity the trip isn't going ahead this year. The impact of Ireland/US relations can be seen throughout both countries and beyond, to the extent that diplomats in the UK have been told to learn from Ireland. The importance of these "jollys" (as some people seem to like calling them) should not be underplayed.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/copy-the-irish-uk-diplomats-told-after-irelands-wins-in-us-40036471.html

You should always look at the motion in a 'debate'...not arrive to the debate and try and make it about what you want to talk about...or NOT talk about. Here is the OP, an 'OP' being an invitation to 'discuss' something on a DISCUSSION forum.

The Taoiseach has NOT spoken to the President = FACT
    The Taoiseach HAS spoken to the President Elect = FACT

If the Irish government SPOKE to the US one, how come a journalist had to find out that the 'event' was not happening while the Taoiseach was embarrassingly saying he was 'waiting for an invite'.

So you KNOW they were speaking...back that up. (I say this knowing you back zilch up)

Fairly pointless responding when you constantly change the goal posts. Now you are making the accusation nobody in the Irish government are talking to the US. Which I have no idea if they did or didn't and neither do you. Very dis-ingenuous carry on.

Still doesn't change the fact some have ranting and raved for week about and even that
    1. MM never confirmed he was going to
    2. The event is not even taking place

More evidence of the huff&puff party. No matter what is going on it is rant and rave.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    It's a pity the trip isn't going ahead this year. The impact of Ireland/US relations can be seen throughout both countries and beyond, to the extent that diplomats in the UK have been told to learn from Ireland. The importance of these "jollys" (as some people seem to like calling them) should not be underplayed.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/copy-the-irish-uk-diplomats-told-after-irelands-wins-in-us-40036471.html

What we need to make sure if it doesn't go ahead it is 100% on next year. Maybe see if Biden could do 2 trips during his first presidency term or even better invite the vice President over to special events as well. She is bound to get elected to president in the near future plus I don't think any links with Ireland so use Biden links to get her over

Plus we need to make sure none of the party leaders go over and embarrass the country like what has gone on before
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/grow-up-mary-lou-sinn-féin-leader-criticised-over-st-patrick-s-day-banner-1.3829135

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Thankfully with modern technology the jolly can be done from home. Zoom call will give them the 15 minutes, dhl can deliver the shamrock (straight in the bin)and Michael can be back in work on Tuesday. ( the Dail doesn't sit on Mondays or fridays) 230pm soft start

This is as embarrassing for Micheal as Leo and Kylie. He wanted to go, the Americans were having none of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Thankfully with modern technology the jolly can be done from home. Zoom call will give them the 15 minutes, dhl can deliver the shamrock and Michael can be back in work on Tuesday. ( the Dail doesn't sit on Mondays or fridays) 230pm soft start

I've been working from home for the entirety of the last 11 months and it is abundantly clear to me and my colleagues that meeting with someone virtually just doesn't have the same impact as an in person meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I've been working from home for the entirety of the last 11 months and it is abundantly clear to me and my colleagues that meeting with someone virtually just doesn't have the same impact as an in person meeting.

Joe doesn't want MM. Its either that or nothing really. Maybe next year I suppose

Of course, but it's still possible to get your work done, I'm using it all the time. There's a pandemic going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I think Michael has made a balls of the leadership as much as the next person but he is not to blame here. His objective should be to meet with Biden unless explicitly told otherwise, the opportunities that a face to face meeting with the US president would yield for Ireland are simply too good to turn down over some faux outrage.

Just in the past few days the Biden adminstration has been scrambling to address the global semiconductor shortage...now imagine within a month our head of state is in a room with Biden explaining how successfully Intel have managed to expand here and how there is plenty of room for growth...clarifying our position as the English centre of Europe and our tax situation...you don't get those subtle opportunities on video calls, everything is way more formal, and doubly so for politicians.

Advertisement