Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Martin and the Shamrock fiasco

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Thankfully with modern technology the jolly can be done from home. Zoom call will give them the 15 minutes, dhl can deliver the shamrock (straight in the bin)and Michael can be back in work on Tuesday. ( the Dail doesn't sit on Mondays or fridays) 230pm soft start

Virtual technology will never replace personal interaction at meeting
    Even when everything does go back to normal and people will probably work more from home you will see most people say 1-2 days in office for personal meetings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Is there a Leprechaun filter on Zoom?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I've been working from home for the entirety of the last 11 months and it is abundantly clear to me and my colleagues that meeting with someone virtually just doesn't have the same impact as an in person meeting.

Half a loaf is better than no bread bubbser. Whitehouse will still be there next year, and hopefully the pandemic will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

McMurphy wrote: »
    Michaél should have declared his intention not to be travelling to the USA for this year only, and because of an unprecedented health pandemic early on, made a statement about how the yearly meeting is important, and he'd hope to visit asap ,and vise versa when safe to do so, and make some announcement about zoom/teams etc.

Instead, he said he was waiting on an invitation....... And ultimately his fate was decided for him.

Sadly, I can't help get the feeling the people who will be mocking this the most behind the scenes are his partners in govt.

You don't ever turn an invitation down before it's given. You might let it be known behind the scenes that you would decline to avoid embarrassment. The number of folk on here who would probably start a war in their first week with their "pronouncements" of what they would do for either partisan or exaggerated sense of self importance. I suspect the adults in the room in the coalition will all be concerned about how we ensure all the side meetings go on and that Irelands views on Brexit/Border, undocumented Irish (how many on boards forget this), mutual investment (more folk working for Irish companies in the US than vice versa), UN security council seat are brought to the attention of a new US administration that is favourable proceed. But of course the "end of the bar counter Guinness fart proletariat" think they would know more and a quick Zoom will do all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Sinn Fein are the best Political Party in Ireland.

Come at me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Allinall

Thankfully with modern technology the jolly can be done from home. Zoom call will give them the 15 minutes, dhl can deliver the shamrock (straight in the bin)and Michael can be back in work on Tuesday. ( the Dail doesn't sit on Mondays or fridays) 230pm soft start

It’s not a jolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

MM isn't a helpdesk operator.

jmlad2020 wrote: »

Come at me

Very hard to confirm or deny that. They have never done anything in the Rep of Ireland apart from huff&puff on the TV.
    You would need to check with the lads if we can count the record in the North because one week we can the next week we can't

• Registered Users Posts: 69,159 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fairly pointless responding when you constantly change the goal posts. Now you are making the accusation nobody in the Irish government are talking to the US. Which I have no idea if they did or didn't and neither do you. Very dis-ingenuous carry on.

Still doesn't change the fact some have ranting and raved for week about and even that
    1. MM never confirmed he was going to
    2. The event is not even taking place

More evidence of the huff&puff party. No matter what is going on it is rant and rave.

Ranting?

You are lying.

He CLEARLY said he was going if he got an invite. This thread started when Paschal DOnohue said on radio that he thought the Taoiseach should go.
    Which is what your early posts where discussing but now you are pretending that you said 'it was never going to happen'. :D:D:D

Impossible to discuss with somebody like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

micosoft wrote: »
    You don't ever turn an invitation down before it's given. .

But you accept one, yeah?

No-one (certainly not I, anyway) was suggesting Michaél snub or rejected any invitation, btw. Unable to attend because of Covid, isn't remotely the same thing as just "turning down the invitation".

It's a pity the other adults in the room couldn't have advised him that declaring he would go, if he was invited, and in the midst of a pandemic wasn't the brightest thing to bd doing.

Lots of egg on faces now because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The angry equivalence is a bit amusing.

The leader of our country going to meet the leader of one of the most powerful countries in the world is obviously exactly the same as Joe. P. Outrage not being able to go to Lanzarote for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    Good idea, that gives plenty of scope for ranting.

Its their culture. They call is a day out. I think calling it ranting isn't very nice but I see your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Is this the thing? Any criticism is sold as rage? Is the idea to shut people down? Good luck with that :)
    Going to the WH for Paddy's is a great way to highlight the country. Just not wise to go during a pandemic.
    MM should have assumed it wasn't happening. Going would tell the tenerife crowd it was okay. The reasons for traveling don't mean **** to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

What's your point?
    Or rather what do you imagine anti-Irish, racist, rapist, informer old-Etonian Eric Blair's point to have been?

I am on the left (unlike Eric Blair) but Mehole should definitely go. Miss the visit once and it might never come back.

Oh, how did that work out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

micosoft wrote: »
    Great that you can quote Orwell but most democracies have an understanding that the head of state is. By virtue of their elected role in a representative democracy the Taoiseach can readily say they represent the Irish people and as such certain privileges apply. To deny that is arrant nonsense by the entitled class.

Oh. Even the privileged should recognise that you need to be invited to the party before you make plans to go to the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭chrisd2019

jmlad2020 wrote: »

Come at me

yawn, yawn!

Ranting?

You are lying.

He CLEARLY said he was going if he got an invite. This thread started when Paschal DOnohue said on radio that he thought the Taoiseach should go.
    Which is what your early posts where discussing but now you are pretending that you said 'it was never going to happen'. :D:D:D

Impossible to discuss with somebody like you.

It seems like you are constantly trying to shut people down with a different opinion or shut the conversation down.

This was post 30 on this thread. Give a good view of the rest of the thread to now

I would just like to say I'm outraged. I'm not sure exactly why, or about what. But I'm definitely outraged. And once the mob forms I'll definitely join and echo all of their arguments. I should run the country because I can form an opinion about anything very quickly. And sure as long as most other people who also have a propensity for being outraged at the drop of a hat agree with me, sure what else is required. But I have a holiday and flights booked for a few months time, so I'll need time off for that. I'm also going to sneak off to meet up my friends and family for non-socially distanced coffee from time-to-time. And I'm going to drive the family 20k or so to Phoenix Park for a day out at the weekend. But sure, what harm. Its not like there'll be any journos or photographers or curtain twitchers who recognise me. I'll be outraged when I'm there though. Sure it's all a disgrace like. We should close the borders and get Zero Covid. Except for my holiers obviously. Shower of incompetents.

It seems like you are constantly trying to shut people down with a different opinion or shut the conversation down.

This was post 30 on this thread. Give a good view of the rest of the thread to now

For once you should try and dispute the fact that you are wrong...by showing where Martin said 'he wasn't going' or that anyone knew (bar the Americans) that the event was not happening.

That would be a start. But I suspect it will be more deflection and running away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

How can this thread still be going ? The event is off, always the most likely scenario in the current circumstances. MM said he'd go if he was invited, rightly so in my and many others opinion. The event is off, so there's no invite (can accept or turn down an invite to an event that's not happening). What else is there to discuss?

What else is there to discuss?

Is he still intending to deprive an elderly or sick person of their vaccine so he can jump the queue?

• Advertisement

How can this thread still be going ? The event is off, always the most likely scenario in the current circumstances. MM said he'd go if he was invited, rightly so in my and many others opinion. The event is off, so there's no invite (can accept or turn down an invite to an event that's not happening). What else is there to discuss?

Instead of been outraged MM isn't going we now have people who are outraged because.....actually no idea. They just need something to be outraged out. Maybe one of them can fill us in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

MM can go next year. He is not swapping with Leo until end 2022.

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Is he still intending to deprive an elderly or sick person of their vaccine so he can jump the queue?

Oh here it starts, why did he get a vaccine and he didn't. I actually thought it would take longer before this childish carry on started

MM can go next year. He is not swapping with Leo until end 2022.

Constant backing comes at a cost, its February next now,

Instead of been outraged MM isn't going we now have people who are outraged because.....actually no idea. They just need something to be outraged out. Maybe one of them can fill us in

Who is 'outraged'? I would say the overwhelming feeling about this is embarrassment for Martin and the country. Cringe is an understatement. We don't have a leader, but a fawning hat doffer to people he feels are his superiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Simple really . They were actually hoping he would travel so that all the outrage that they had prepared in advance would not go unused . Now all that outrage has to be re gigged slightly and directed at the next target . ;) . Must be very tiring constantly being outraged .

Simple really . They were actually hoping he would travel so that all the outrage that they had prepared in advance would not go unused . Now all that outrage has to be re gigged slightly and directed at the next target . ;) . Must be very tiring constantly being outraged .

Now they are outraged because people said they are outraged. Seems to be a vicious circle

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Now they are outraged because people said they are outraged. Seems to be a vicious circle

There is also the question about all the unused outrage about him possibly getting the vaccination ahead of the elderly , frontline , ( fill in as appropriate ) groups . Hell of a lot of outrage gone to waste . :D.
    Does anyone know if you can store outrage for later use . Does it freeze well and could you reheat it quickly in the microwave if you needed it in a hurry .:confused:

There is also the question about all the unused outrage about him possibly getting the vaccination ahead of the elderly , frontline , ( fill in as appropriate ) groups . Hell of a lot of outrage gone to waste . :D.
    Does anyone know if you can store outrage for later use . Does it freeze well and could you reheat it quickly in the microwave if you needed it in a hurry .:confused:

The Potty Padre has outrage stored for decades, apparently Mary Lou's grandad's dog peed on his family's garden gnomes in 1955

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

People were robbed of their outrage, and had to vent about that.

Advertisement