Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Martin and the Shamrock fiasco

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

So Michael Martin thought he would still get to Washington in March at the start of this week whilst G7 leaders are meeting today via video link.

It's makes him look a bit silly that he even considered the idea would be entertained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So Michael Martin thought he would still get to Washington in March at the start of this week whilst G7 leaders are meeting today via video link.

It's makes him look a bit silly that he even considered the idea would be entertained.

The yanks having to tell him to unpack his bucket and spade wasn't a good look. He was obviously going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

Did you not get the memo, only Shinners thought he thought that

The yanks having to tell him to unpack his bucket and spade wasn't a good look. He was obviously going.

Thats exactly why it irked me. He was playing to the idea on morning Ireland at the start of the week.

An absolutely shockingly bad read of the overall situation from him.

golfball37 wrote: »

Do Fianna Fail know Micheal is a shinner?
    Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said that if he is invited to the White House to mark St Patrick’s Day, he will attend.

If I am invited, I will go,” he told RTÉ Radio One’s Morning Ireland.

February 11th:
    Taoiseach Micheál Martin had said earlier today that he was “amused” by the speculation around any potential trip and that if he was invited he would go.

Lads time to cut the shinner's everywhere conspiracy. It's gotten embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Storm in a tea cup, "If I am invited I'll go", is just a diplomatic way of letting the american's decide what happens, rather than stealing their thunder by refusing to go which could have the unintended consequence of insulting them.

Storm in a tea cup, "If I am invited I'll go", is just a diplomatic way of letting the american's decide what happens, rather than stealing their thunder by refusing to go which could have the unintended consequence of insulting them.

Or he could have called confidentially and sounded them out referencing his concern over Covid 19.

Or he could have in interview mentioned his uncertainty due to Covid.

Or he could have stated he didn't think it was a good idea before the invite.

The only issue is he was going, unless the Americans said otherwise. That's all anyone is claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,159 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Or he could have called confidentially and sounded them out referencing his concern over Covid 19.

Or he could have in interview mentioned his uncertainty due to Covid.

Or he could have stated he didn't think it was a good idea before the invite.

The only issue is he was going, unless the Americans said otherwise. That's all anyone is claiming.

I get the feeling Biden and Martin's paths have crossed before. Has he rung him since he became president?

I wonder was there words at some point over the handling of the north?

He said it on morning Ireland. This SF v FFFG and visa versa is one of the most pitiful things about Irish politics. I absolutely despise it.

We are so immature as a nation with some of this stuff, it reduces commentators to childlike opinions.

I get the feeling Biden and Martin's paths have crossed before. Has he rung him since he became president?

I wonder was there words at some point over the handling of the north?

His reply to a parliamentary question on victims to a SF td who is a victim didn’t go unnoticed by Democrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

His reply to a parliamentary question on victims to a SF td who is a victim didn’t go unnoticed by Democrats.

I missed that, what are you referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

The whole thing is just ludicrous.

Elderly American president and unvaccinated Irish guy assuming he was flying in to meet him, without any plans.

Even getting vaccinated would have had to have been planned weeks ago. Two shots, 28 days apart and there’s national controversy likely if a Taoiseach & entourage are vaccinated ahead of any elderly or frontline staff etc.

Mad stuff and it was mostly driven by media and online speculation.

Also Joe Biden is about the most Irish American of politicians you’ll find. A bowl of shamrocks isn’t going to change that.

What exactly do they think will happen? Joe doesn’t get his bowl of shamrocks this year and suddenly decides he’s going British?

Rolls eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

elperello wrote: »
    I missed that, what are you referring to?

May be refrring to this:
    https://twitter.com/HesTheSportsguy/status/1357318344135819267

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    May be refrring to this:

Thanks for the link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

He called for truth from all sides?
    What exactly is the problem?

He called for truth from all sides?
    What exactly is the problem?

Other way around. Rels for Justice want the truth from all sides. Martin wants IRA to go first.

He said it on morning Ireland. This SF v FFFG and visa versa is one of the most pitiful things about Irish politics. I absolutely despise it.

We are so immature as a nation with some of this stuff, it reduces commentators to childlike opinions.

Criticise the government, they'll bring up SF rather than tackle the criticism.
    Thats what their leaders do so it stands supporters do too.

What a snake. He's no morals or ethics seemingly.
    He should go to Washington and stay.
    Its quite clear FF/FG have no interest in addressing mother and baby homes, the tuam mass grave or the families of the dead in the north. Too inconvenient for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Please discuss Northern Ireland political issues is the relevant thread. Posts deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

I'm not a fan of MM as a person, but for all the debate a few days trip generated, and condemnation if he went, why is all quiet about Coveney going to Iran of all places?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Get Real wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of MM as a person, but for all the debate a few days trip generated, and condemnation if he went, why is all quiet about Coveney going to Iran of all places?

There is no craic n pints in Iran
    Business only

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Business only

An uneasy place to be i would think,

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Business only

Fair enough. I don't think there's much craic and pints with the States to be fair. At least no more than any other state trip. Only a perception of so.

Ferried from meeting to meeting, having to look and appear fresh off the plane, getting up at 6am when your body clock is still on Irish time of 2am. Shaking hands and listening to bo11ocks.

I still maintain that it's possibly all a blur for politicians, as they are human. Just with an opportunity to get a word in for Ireland re brexit, and the Taoiseach would be relieved to arrive back home, as most fellas would on a business trip. Again, it was never a stag he was going on.

Causing controversy because people were jealous he was going on what they think is a lads weekend. So really, it was all about people begrudging what they think is a trip of drinking, smoking, gambling, because they can't do the same? What'd confirm that, is not a peep about Coveney. I don't know where the perception comes from tbh or what scandals we've seen from the paddy's day trip over the decades. Perhaps it's self projection?

In MMs case he shot himself in the foot with the snide way the public's perception was measured by the hinting, leaking of details and begging for an invite for the upcoming proposed USA trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Causing controversy because people were jealous he was going on what they think is a lads weekend. So really, it was all about people begrudging what they think is a trip of drinking, smoking, gambling, because they can't do the same? What'd confirm that, is not a peep about Coveney. I don't know where the perception comes from tbh or what scandals we've seen from the paddy's day trip over the decades. Perhaps it's self projection?

He was never invited anyway. No "drinking, smoking, gambling " weekend for the taoiseach.

Although he isn't 25 years old so he was probably not planning much of the above anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

He was never invited anyway. No "drinking, smoking, gambling " weekend for the taoiseach.

Although he isn't 25 years old so he was probably not planning much of the above anyway

The entourage were huffed they didn't get, its like a scene from Yes Minister where the press and public servants all piling on the Jumbo for a jolly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Because it won’t cost Mary Looroll and Sinn Fein votes.....

In MMs case he shot himself in the foot with the snide way the public's perception was measured by the hinting, leaking of details and begging for an invite for the upcoming proposed USA trip!

He completely misread

1) The US administrations expectations around a visit and the seriousness at which new President Biden was approaching the virus and the optics of a visit on that end
    2) The public mood here and the rise in non compliance with public health measure if he did visit.

Absolutely astounding level of incompetence from MM that he didn't get ahead of it. Really worrying insight into his capability to do the job he is entrusted with. He needs to be able to read the room.

Advertisement