Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Martin and the Shamrock fiasco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

HBC08 wrote: »
    This is a good example of the clueless sh1tetalk I was alluding to.

Thats your opinion, no need for abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

He's not going over there for a holiday ffs, it's a very important diplomatic courtesy that few nations are accorded. I assume he will be going in the government jet, therefore very low risk.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Course he’ll go to the US, he’s waited all his life and clung on like a limpet to be Tshock..... it’s his God given right to go....

But I think it should be skipped for this year, and I’ll eat my shamrock if he doesn’t go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Or, you know, every year we have a historically guaranteed face-to-face meeting with the President/Speaker/House leaders that a lot of small countries in the world would kill for.

365 days n the year, plenty of others get the same access, don't kid yourself that its anything other than going through the motions for the White house

He's not going over there for a holiday ffs, it's a very important diplomatic courtesy that few nations are accorded. I assume he will be going in the government jet, therefore very low risk.

Few nations,
    https://history.state.gov/departmenthistory/visits/2019
    Varadkar, Bolsonaro and Netanyahu in 10 days, no wonder Donald flipped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,758 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can we not just post Biden some shamrock with Taytos and Barry's Tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

FDI ?

Federal ... Investigation?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

McFly85 wrote: »
    For me, it's worth it as I said before to portray Ireland as the US gateway to the EU, and to have the US understand the Irish position on Brexit, COVID, trade etc. This isn't a meeting for the Taoiseach to go and make demands about what he wants, but to show Biden how Ireland feels on various issues. When it comes to the time that the US is dealing with the EU or the UK, we'll have at least had our chance to make our feelings known.

You make it sound like the Americans will forget we exist if we don't remind them once a year! The US knows how we feel regarding NI, Brexit etc. Biden has already been vocal about his Irish roots and his preference for Ireland over the UK. There are plenty other ways for diplomacy that doesn't centre around a ceremonial face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,758 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

stoneill wrote: »
    Do we not have an Ambassador for this sort of stuff?

Josh Pray :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Allinall wrote: »
    Hypocrisy of the highest order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

• Advertisement

You make it sound like the Americans will forget we exist if we don't remind them once a year! The US knows how we feel regarding NI, Brexit etc. Biden has already been vocal about his Irish roots and his preference for Ireland over the UK. There are plenty other ways for diplomacy that doesn't centre around a ceremonial face to face.

Why do you think companies spend a fortune on advertising? Why do celebrities sprinkle 'gossip' into magasine articles about them?

Keeping your brand on peoples lips. Its important.

Add the diplomatic angle as well but no, lets stop because not everyone can go (Except they can but didnt)

Why do you think companies spend a fortune on advertising? Why do celebrities sprinkle 'gossip' into magasine articles about them?

Keeping your brand on peoples lips. Its important.

Add the diplomatic angle as well but no, lets stop because not everyone can go (Except they can but didnt)

If he goes he resigns the minute the plane hits the tarmac back in Dublin, deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Allinall wrote: »
    Hypocrisy of the highest order.

*ring ring*

"Hello police?, I want to report a murder on boards.ie"

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I dont see any other European leader going over to the States.

I know the Taoiseach is on the exempt list for leaving the country but it will be a unpopular move.

Do a Zoom meeting on Paddys Day and get the Irish Ambassador to make a presentation to the President.

I reckon Leo is setting Micheal up for a fall on this.

If he goes he resigns the minute the plane hits the tarmac back in Dublin, deal?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

He should be arrested on return and jailed for 25 years in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Few nations,
    https://history.state.gov/departmenthistory/visits/2019
    Varadkar, Bolsonaro and Netanyahu in 10 days, no wonder Donald flipped

So would you think that we're better off not being on that list or actually being on that list ?

It's a huge business occasion as well as being a huge PR exercise. Our Taoiseach in the White House with the US President on every major American News Channel and website on the most Irish of days is a marketers dream.

I don't just agree with him going, I think that of all years this year he has to go. Show confidence in America and show confidence in ourselves.

So would you think that we're better off not being on that list or actually being on that list ?

It's a huge business occasion as well as being a huge PR exercise. Our Taoiseach in the White House with the US President on every major American News Channel and website on the most Irish of days is a marketers dream.

I don't just agree with him going, I think that of all years this year he has to go. Show confidence in America and show confidence in ourselves.

Wee bit of cop on and move the meeting until Autumn, if Micky Martin goes to America in March all restrictions will be worthless, the fact the idiot floated the idea shows how out of is depth he is

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Some of the St Patrick's Day trips can be hard to justify but the Whitehouse one is a no brainer.

This year especially with an Irish heritage POTUS and so many Irish connections in his administration we would be foolish to pass up on the opportunity.

If it can go ahead MM should grasp the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

elperello wrote: »
    Some of the St Patrick's Day trips can be hard to justify but the Whitehouse one is a no brainer.

This year especially with an Irish heritage POTUS and so many Irish connections in his administration we would be foolish to pass up on the opportunity.

If it can go ahead MM should grasp the chance.

I could rationalise a house party the exact sane way.

• Advertisement

Think the fact that FF floated this shows how out of touch they are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭McFly85

I could rationalise a house party the exact sane way.

You can rationalise having a house party because there’s a new POTUS? It’s a stretch...

elperello wrote: »
    Depends on your guest list.

Sorry to hear about your issue but I think you may be allowed to visit on some sort of exemption.

I have family I haven't seen for over a year so I know it can be tough.

Work with too many people, too big a risk

McFly85 wrote: »
    You can rationalise having a house party because there’s a new POTUS? It’s a stretch...

No, I can rationalise it if I have an exalted opinion of my party.
    If Joe Biden's Irish heritage is as sensitive as suggested then it isn't much of a heritage.
    Ring him up, say 'sorry, pandemic ravaging both our countries, see you next year', sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Some people are going on as if relations will collapse between Ireland and the US if MM doesn't trundle around the White House if the middle of a pandemic. Phone call, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Could we not all just compromise here folks.

MM stays at home, safeguarded, so that he can fulfill his role and we send a High Representative...

Big Phil. Virus evader extraordinaire. Political merc for hire. Lock n load buckos!

You certainly do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

If Joe Biden's Irish heritage is as sensitive as suggested then it isn't much of a heritage.
    Ring him up, say 'sorry, pandemic ravaging both our countries, see you next year', sorted.

Will it not be Leo's turn again next yrear?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Cerveza wrote: »
    Why pull his foreskin in front of Biden?

Because they'll be discussing a picture of you.

• Advertisement

Will it not be Leo's turn again next yrear?

Ah, so it's just Micheal's personal satisfaction that needs to be sated?

Advertisement