Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Martin and the Shamrock fiasco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I could rationalise a house party the exact sane way.

No, you couldn't. That is hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

blanch152 wrote: »
    Visits to elderly relatives to check on their wellbeing but without entering their house are permitted under the guidelines.

So is Micky going to stand on the White House lawn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

And do the helicopter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

Anyone who thinks Martin is doing this for anything other than Martin needs their head examined. As much as I don’t like Leo if he were Taoiseach he wouldn’t go this year.

Just trying to help you see your elderly parents, no need to respond that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

if he is invited, he should absolutely go.

lets be honest, this aint the same as not being allowed visit your granny down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

People talking about needing a face to face meeting with the American president to promote the Irish cause abroad sounds like something from the 1950s. Times have moved on and there's no reason some sort of virtual ceremony to mark the occasion couldn't be done.

As others have mentioned, we also have 20 plus Irish ambassadors already resident in the United States, could they not visit in lieu of Mehole??

blanch152 wrote: »
    Just trying to help you see your elderly parents, no need to respond that way.

One parent, Father died years ago, I'm too big a risk, work with too many people, wife is front line , she's not on her own so not worried that way , I've done everything I've been told every lockdown, never passed restriction distance, didnt mix with other households, did minimal shopping, just went to work and went home, you can see my anger at the thought of this petty little man wanting to get his picture taken with a politicians version of Santa while others have given so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The St Patrick's day jaunt is just that. Does it hurt? No. It's definitely something that has benefitted us but it's not like the Irish diaspora wait on ceremony for the Irish taoiseach to visit them. Most probably don't even know the event happens. Are exporting companies and investors really blind to Ireland as an investment opportunity? Not being bad but Michael Martin is hardly going to woo some tech bros from Silicon Valley.
    Cultural proximity has definitely helped but the world is changing. America is changing. The paddy whackery will eventually have to come to an end.

Micky will ease restrictions on the 5th to suit this travel. Wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

What's the big deal? He's hardly gonna infect anyone even if he did catch the virus over there, there are planes going all over the planet and landing in Dublin right now. People really like to get their outrage over the stupidest things nowadays.

Also please take the time to read about the OPs many journeys during covid.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114392550&postcount=7720

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=836243&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=%2A%3A%2A&forum=37

Vestiapx wrote: »
    What's the big deal? He's hardly gonna infect anyone even if he did catch the virus over there, there are planes going all over the planet and landing in Dublin right now. People really like to get their outrage over the stupidest things nowadays.

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=836243&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=%2A%3A%2A&forum=37

That is a stunning level of hypocrisy.

One parent, Father died years ago, I'm too big a risk, work with too many people, wife is front line , she's not on her own so not worried that way , I've done everything I've been told every lockdown, never passed restriction distance, didnt mix with other households, did minimal shopping, just went to work and went home, you can see my anger at the thought of this petty little man wanting to get his picture taken with a politicians version of Santa while others have given so much

No, I don't actually see your anger.

I too, have done everything right every lockdown, have family abroad that I miss and don't know when I will see them. But business travel is business travel.

A relative of mine travelling home to see me (or vice versa) does not add anything to the wellbeing of Ireland, but Martin, travelling to Washington, could bring extra jobs in the future.

Cerveza wrote: »
    Micky will ease restrictions on the 5th to suit this travel. Wait and see.

Think that kite has flown, with vaccinations slowed and any relaxation shortly followed by another lockdown and more deaths misrepresenting numbers to get a jolly wouldnt go down with the grassroots

• Registered Users Posts: 17,078 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Vestiapx wrote: »

tracking someone thru boards is weird. discuss the topic on its own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

I am ready to show my outrage. If mr. Martin travels to Washington, I'm outraged that he should do so during a pandemic. If he decides to stay home, I'm still outraged that he lets a simple pandemic embarass the whole country. I'm telling you, the people have had enough and it's time to make a stand!

Or something like that. In any case, I'll be here in March declaring I called it right in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

So we have a thread of outrage about something that hasn't happened and maybe never had. I am outraged that you are all outraged because you have nothing else to be outraged about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Are you a mod? If not please don't give me instructions .

Plenty of posters at it on here. Very creepy and pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So we have a thread of outrage about something that hasn't happened and maybe never had. I am outraged that you are all outraged because you have nothing else to be outraged about

It's being discussed in the media, why wouldn't it be mirrored here? Why the outrage?

• Advertisement

It's being discussed in the media, why wouldn't it be mirrored here? Why the outrage?

It's called sarcasm.
    What media by the way? because if I search I find an article from the 22nd of Jan in "The Mirror" which says "Mr Martin was speaking in an interview with the American CNN network where he said: “There’s no decisions made in relation to that (the Patrick’s Day visit), but I did invite President Biden to Ireland and he rather jokingly said to me: 'Try and keep me out.'"

If he does go then plenty of reason for people to be angry. But it is very pathetic to get outraged over something which hasn't happened or might not even ever happen do you not think?

Would Leo go if he was at the helm of the ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's called sarcasm.
    What media by the way? because if I search I find an article from the 22nd of Jan in "The Mirror" which says "Mr Martin was speaking in an interview with the American CNN network where he said: “There’s no decisions made in relation to that (the Patrick’s Day visit), but I did invite President Biden to Ireland and he rather jokingly said to me: 'Try and keep me out.'"

Hope you are not like a poster we used to have who, when presented with the Slugger O'Toole site as a source for something, exclaimed that it was some 'random unknown blog'
    Here is a really quick google of the issue:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40212689.html
    https://www.todayfm.com/news/taoiseach-should-meet-president-biden-for-st-patricks-day-donohoe-1142290

https://gript.ie/taoiseachs-should-cancel-reckless-st-patricks-day-trip-says-mattie-mc-grath/?utm_campaign=01-27-21+-+Taoiseach%E2%80%99s+s&utm_source=Message&utm_medium=Twitter
    https://www.oceanfm.ie/2021/01/29/essential-travel-minister-donohoe-backs-taoiseach-st-patricks-day-trip-to-usa/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Or, you know, every year we have a historically guaranteed face-to-face meeting with the President/Speaker/House leaders that a lot of small countries in the world would kill for.

When I first heard about the Taoiseach going to Washington I was a bit peeed off TBH.

But looking at it again I think you know what maybe he should go but it should be done taking into account not to thread on peoples toes by overdoing the extravagances etc.

If he doesn't go he will gain alot of respect for it though, so tough call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

It’s not a normal year. Usually the visit includes meetings business leaders as well as Irish diaspora as well as politicians

Right now the focus is on getting case numbers down and keeping them down so that we don’t get a fourth wave. We are all restricted to 5km of our houses and are talking about fining people going on holidays. If travel brings with it an increased risk regarding Covid then all travel should be reduced to bare minimum.

Our next priority is getting some people back to work while getting people vaccinated as fast as we get the vaccines.

Getting Biden over to Ireland when things go back to some normality will do more to raise Ireland’s profile in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Or, you know, every year we have a historically guaranteed face-to-face meeting with the President/Speaker/House leaders that a lot of small countries in the world would kill for.

Yeah but what does Ireland get out of it in reality?

Biden might be playing the Irish card a bit but who is to say thats not to shore up the support of Irish Americans who might have jumped over to the Rep side over the last few years.

If Martin goes he will pose for a few photos with the Pres, bladder on for a few mins about how there is a great bond between the 2 countries and thats basically it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

mohawk wrote: »
    It’s not a normal year. Usually the visit includes meetings business leaders as well as Irish diaspora as well as politicians

Right now the focus is on getting case numbers down and keeping them down so that we don’t get a fourth wave. We are all restricted to 5km of our houses and are talking about fining people going on holidays. If travel brings with it an increased risk regarding Covid then all travel should be reduced to bare minimum.

Our next priority is getting some people back to work while getting people vaccinated as fast as we get the vaccines.

Getting Biden over to Ireland when things go back to some normality will do more to raise Ireland’s profile in the US.

Cant argue with this TBH.

So it is not been discussed in the media. Thanks for confirming that

I have no idea who slugger o Toole is or ever heard of gripe or oceanfm either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

So it is not been discussed in the media. Thanks for confirming that

I have no idea who slugger o Toole is or ever heard of gripe or oceanfm either.

A Google search brings back multiple articles, but that's not good enough for you?

• Advertisement

A Google search brings back multiple articles, but that's not good enough for you?

Three wise monkeys: Mantra of FF these days

Advertisement