Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Martin and the Shamrock fiasco

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

A Google search brings back multiple articles, but that's not good enough for you?

As I already posted but I can repeat
    What media by the way? because if I search I find an article from the 22nd of Jan in "The Mirror" which says "Mr Martin was speaking in an interview with the American CNN network where he said: “There’s no decisions made in relation to that (the Patrick’s Day visit), but I did invite President Biden to Ireland and he rather jokingly said to me: 'Try and keep me out.'"

Unless you have something which says otherwise?
    As I said from the start he should not go and if he does then another reason to have election after the pandemic. But from what I can see nobody in government has confirmed he will go or not so what exactly is all the outrage posts about?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So it is not been discussed in the media. Thanks for confirming that

I have no idea who slugger o Toole is or ever heard of gripe or oceanfm either.

QED...get shown the evidence...deny it again and again.

As I said from the start he should not go and if he does then another reason to have election after the pandemic. But from what I can see nobody in government has confirmed he will go or not so what exactly is all the outrage posts about?

What outrage? People are giving their views on whether he should go or not.

What outrage? People are giving their views on whether he should go or not.

The thread title is "Mr Martin and the Shamrock fiasco"
    Maybe you could explain what the "fiasco" is?

You'll have to ask the OP about that.My opinion would be:

That there is even a discussion about a trip abroad, given the non essential nature of it.
    that a cabinet minister was pushed out onto the media to test the water. Well done Pascal on that job. But it's a fiasco of a government if that is how they have to sound out the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

There are leaks from the relevant departments saying planning is in place for the visit in the article you have taken that from...are you ignoring them as it doesn't suit your narrative...or you didn't read it all?

Either way you asked for articles...get pointed to some and ignore the evidence you asked for?

People are giving an opinion on how misguided any planned trip would be in terms of what's happening to us all, where is this outrage you keep pointing to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Cerveza wrote: »
    You got the WiFi going in the caravan.

You got it going in the 5 X 4 shed? You'll need electric.

There are leaks from the relevant departments saying planning is in place for the visit in the article you have taken that from...are you ignoring them as it doesn't suit your narrative...or you didn't read it all?

Either way you asked for articles...get pointed to some and ignore the evidence you asked for?

People are giving an opinion on how misguided any planned trip would be in terms of what's happening to us all, where is this outrage you keep pointing to?

Maybe you could point me to the articles with "leaks from the relevant departments"?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In fairness it would be remiss of civil servants in the relevant departments not to carry out a certain level of planning.

They won't decide whether a trip goes ahead but they will be responsible for it going smoothly in the event it takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's not as if Biden is unaware of or like the previous incumbent, largely indifferent, to the Irish delegation, Patricks Day and the invented White House shamrock tradition.

One year out will hardly make much difference to business interests (and the usual nauseating lobbying for entitled illegal Irish) and the optics play far better to those at home. There's always next year.
    Jumping the queue to get a vaccination or going on a junket while most of us are going nuts at home is not a good look.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    In fairness it would be remiss of civil servants in the relevant departments not to carry out a certain level of planning.

They won't decide whether a trip goes ahead but they will be responsible for it going smoothly in the event it takes place.

Yeah I've no issue with that side of things ultimately its up to the taoisach if he decides to go or not. I was making the point as the other poster is actively engaging in cognitive disassociation when presented with the very thing he claims is not happening.

Maybe you could point me to the articles with "leaks from the relevant departments"?

You already have by another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think he would be mad not to go, especially as the Biden presidency is just a few weeks old. Not going would be a huge missed opportunity. However if he does go I could see the Joe Duffy outrage-o-meter heading into overdrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think he would be mad not to go, especially as the Biden presidency is just a few weeks old. Not going would be a huge missed opportunity. However if he does go I could see the Joe Duffy outrage-o-meter heading into overdrive.

Indeed, that this thread is started six weeks before St Patricks day is indicative of people trying to stir sh1te about something that might happen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

It is a fiasco that an Irish Premier must go to the White House to honour St. Patrick's Day no matter what is going on in the world around us.
    At this time, if Mr Martin travels to the USA, it will be just for his own ego as an "international statesman".

Scoondal wrote: »
    It is a fiasco that an Irish Premier must go to the White House to honour St. Patrick's Day no matter what is going on in the world around us.
    At this time, if Mr Martin travels to the USA, it will be just for his own ego as an "international statesman".

The Taoiseach would be better cracking the whip and wakening up our EU Commissioner and staff and pay attention to what is going on in his own backyard/area of responsibility, rather than running off on jumped up junkets and brown nosing.

Has he said he is going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Tbh he should rotate with Leo if someone is going that day

Poor Michael looks like he took the wrong turn at a roundabout to end up as Taoiseach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I think it would be beyond insane for MM to visit Biden for St Patrick's day for a lot of reasons.

- It makes a joke out of what can be considered essential travel

- It will been seen as one rule for them,another for us- it's difficult enough to get compliance at the moment & I think that would just see a lot of people giving up if he travels

- Joe Biden is nearly 80 and higher risk, the exact age group the Irish government have been telling us to avoid. I can hear it already....if Micheal can visit Joe, surely I can visit my Granny

- In terms of building international relations, what happens if they both catch covid19 following the trip? Unlikely we would ever hear about It but imagine the headlines, Irish Prime Ministers essential Shamrock delivery puts US President in ICU!

I think it would be beyond insane for MM to visit Biden for St Patrick's day for a lot of reasons.

- It makes a joke out of what can be considered essential travel

- It will been seen as one rule for them,another for us- it's difficult enough to get compliance at the moment & I think that would just see a lot of people giving up if he travels

- Joe Biden is nearly 80 and higher risk, the exact age group the Irish government have been telling us to avoid. I can hear it already....if Micheal can visit Joe, surely I can visit my Granny

- In terms of building international relations, what happens if they both catch covid19 following the trip? Unlikely we would ever hear about It but imagine the headlines, Irish Prime Ministers essential Shamrock delivery puts US President in ICU!

100% agree. Plus many many more reasons why he shouldn't travel.

The only issue I see at the moment, it's just a small one, nobody has said he is actually going.

• Advertisement

President Biden has been vaccinated.

https://abc7news.com/joe-biden-covid-vaccine-coronavirus-covid-19-gets/9561849/

I expect most of his cabinet and senior staff have also or will be by mid March.

I don't know about MM but I would expect he should be too given the importance of his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

https://abc7news.com/joe-biden-covid-vaccine-coronavirus-covid-19-gets/9561849/

I expect most of his cabinet and senior staff have also or will be by mid March.

I don't know about MM but I would expect he should be too given the importance of his job.

Biden is an old man, nothing to do with importance,

Biden is an old man, nothing to do with importance,

If you have another look at my post you will see that I was referring to the importance of our Taoiseach's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If you have another look at my post you will see that I was referring to the importance of our Taoiseach's job.

Its a jobshare position so not really that important

Its a jobshare position so not really that important

Very funny :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

Just because Biden got vaccinated doesn't mean he can't get infected and end up in hospital.

frozen3 wrote: »
    Just because Biden got vaccinated doesn't mean he can't get infected and end up in hospital.

I think that's why it will be his call whether the event goes ahead or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭frozen3

I think that's why it will be his call whether the event goes ahead or not.

True, I can't seem him taking the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I couldn't give a flute what they do anymore but you already know what's going to happen.

A few of them will travel off to other countries. They'll try downplay it and try not bring any attention to themselves in the days leading up.

Someone will rat them out.

They will say they took all the proper precautions, quarantined, got the vaccine etc.... then all the evidence will flow in proving none of them done any of that.

Bit of outrage and then forgotten about a few days later after a few IRA stories.

• Advertisement

frozen3 wrote: »
    True, I can't seem him taking the risk

When push comes to shove we don't invite ourselves to the White House.

Advertisement