Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Martin and the Shamrock fiasco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There willbe no major parades anywhere. I think maturity is required now by Martin - show that TD's and Taoisigh are willing to deprive themselves in order to beat this thing. Senior Hurling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The bitterness and envy on display in this thread is astonishing.

St. Patrick's Day in Washington is important business for Ireland Inc.

If circumstances allow (and that depends on a lot of things) Martin should go.

blanch152 wrote: »

All of which can be done over zoom. A mate of mine lost his job after 20 years last Friday, another mate lost his mother in law this morning to Covid. It's in very bad taste to go on this ego trip when some of our lives are in turmoil. It's obvious we are not all in this together!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Martin should definitely go, it's essential travel imo.

Especially if Biden is vaccinated. What is the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Has he said he is going?

It seems from your question that you also find it difficult to believe that this is a fact of the Irish government's plan for St. Patrick's Day.
    Yes, it is difficult to believe that the government have such plans. They don't have any empathy with their citizens.

Plenty of important things for Ireland had to be cancelled. From tourism to sport to business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

I wouldn't waste your time with this poster.. the only evidence he will believe is mickeys boarding pass.

Aah okay.
    But anyway, I have loads of time off for answering a few questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Oh give me a bucket!

Some politician handing out weeds to a President has feck all to do with business nowadays.

Maybe when the tax advantages of Ireland were not known. Now that they are, it’s got nothing to do with politicians. It has to do with business leaders.

At this stage any corporation in the States either financial or tech, already knows what Ireland has to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Scoondal wrote: »

Article from 20th you linked
    Article from 22nd: https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/taoiseach-micheal-martin-gives-update-23370055

Mr Martin was speaking in an interview with the American CNN network where he said: “There’s no decisions made in relation to that (the Patrick’s Day visit), but I did invite President Biden to Ireland and he rather jokingly said to me: 'Try and keep me out.'

Article from 20th you linked
    Article from 22nd: https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/taoiseach-micheal-martin-gives-update-23370055

Mr Martin was speaking in an interview with the American CNN network where he said: “There’s no decisions made in relation to that (the Patrick’s Day visit), but I did invite President Biden to Ireland and he rather jokingly said to me: 'Try and keep me out.'

He is planning a trip that he may not take. Okay, I understand.
    But why is it being planned ? It's a waste of valuable time of the civil servants that should be engaged with more important issues facing our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I don't like MM, but I think it's important that he goes. America is a very important country for our economy. We essentially an American state at this stage.

He is planning a trip that he may not take. Okay, I understand.
    But why is it being planned ? It's a waste of valuable time of the civil servants that should be engaged with more important issues facing our country.

We discussed this yesterday.

It makes sense that the relevant departments do a certain degree of planning.

The final decision won't be theirs but they will be responsible for seeing that it goes smoothly if it goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The only thing that matters here is Covid, abs leadership during covid which involves restricting movement

No company is going to be swayed on making a decision relating to FDI during these turbulent times by a visit of MM to the White House.

We have a friendly administration in the White House that will be there for the next 4 years and wasn’t there for the last 4 years. Plenty of time to be bringing a crock of weeds over there another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

[PHP][/PHP]
    I don't like MM, but I think it's important that he goes. America is a very important country for our economy. We essentially an American state at this stage.

That’s great news, I’m off out to get obese and buy a few guns. Pity I’ve to stop drinking until I’m 21 though.

elperello wrote: »
    We discussed this yesterday.

It makes sense that the relevant departments do a certain degree of planning.

The final decision won't be theirs but they will be responsible for seeing that it goes smoothly if it goes ahead.
    A waste of time. These people are living in fantasy land.
    Let's get back to our government working for the idiots that elected them into governing our depressed country.
    Washington will still exist in 2022.

[PHP][/PHP]

That’s great news, I’m off out to get obese and buy a few guns. Pity I’ve to stop drinking until I’m 21 though.

Have you seen the carry on recently in Ireland? just read across this forum. We have taken huge parts of the bad parts of American society and made it our own.
    You mention obese, well yes Ireland is turning obese. Only the other day one poster was complaining because he would have to cycle a huge 6 miles to get to a local village.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-s-obesity-rate-among-world-s-worst-1.2594266?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fhealth%2Fireland-s-obesity-rate-among-world-s-worst-1.2594266

NSAman wrote: »
    Oh give me a bucket!

Some politician handing out weeds to a President has feck all to do with business nowadays.

Maybe when the tax advantages of Ireland were not known. Now that they are, it’s got nothing to do with politicians. It has to do with business leaders.

At this stage any corporation in the States either financial or tech, already knows what Ireland has to offer.

Maybe he could help with planning if Biden wants to build in the old homestead. :)

• Advertisement

Let's get back to our government working for the idiots that elected them into governing our depressed country.

We are part of the EU still, you can move to any country in Europe and don't even need a visit if Ireland upsets you so much.
    Personally I like it here. Yes it has problems but I love it. Plus I am also proud Irish man of our shamrock, St Patrick day and everything that makes us uniquely Irish.
    I go to America all the time and they also love all of those traits, strange so many people have such self loathing.

We are part of the EU still, you can move to any country in Europe and don't even need a visit if Ireland upsets you so much.
    Personally I like it here. Yes it has problems but I love it. Plus I am also proud Irish man of our shamrock, St Patrick day and everything that makes us uniquely Irish.
    I go to America all the time and they also love all of those traits, strange so many people have such self loathing.

Go some other time, there's a pandemic happening!

You will find that there are many capable people working in the civil service.

They will be making sure that the best use is made of a trip by MM if it should go ahead.

Fail to plan, plan to fail.

elperello wrote: »
    You will find that there are many capable people working in the civil service.

They will be making sure that the best use is made of a trip by MM if it should go ahead.

Fail to plan, plan to fail.

It cannot go ahead. It would provoke public outrage.

Will you agree that forward planning for a possible event involving the Taoiseach overseas is prudent?

Nobody has said it is going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

I think it would be beyond insane for MM to visit Biden for St Patrick's day for a lot of reasons.

- It makes a joke out of what can be considered essential travel

- It will been seen as one rule for them,another for us- it's difficult enough to get compliance at the moment & I think that would just see a lot of people giving up if he travels

- Joe Biden is nearly 80 and higher risk, the exact age group the Irish government have been telling us to avoid. I can hear it already....if Micheal can visit Joe, surely I can visit my Granny

- In terms of building international relations, what happens if they both catch covid19 following the trip? Unlikely we would ever hear about It but imagine the headlines, Irish Prime Ministers essential Shamrock delivery puts US President in ICU!

Biden has already had both doses of the vaccine.

It seems to have provoked outrage even if it doesn't go ahead. I suppose that's today's outrages society.

Anyway something will happen. The Irish ambassador can present the shamrock, a harp can be played, and the Taoiseach can talk to the President over Zoom or whatnot.

Its important to keep up the tradition though because if it stops it may be permanent. The Irish American vote isn't what it was. And it isn't as democratic as it was.

It seems to have provoked outrage even if it doesn't go ahead. I suppose that's today's outrages society.

Anyway something will happen. The Irish ambassador can present the shamrock, a harp can be played, and the Taoiseach can talk to the President over Zoom or whatnot.

Its important to keep up the tradition though because if it stops it may be permanent. The Irish American vote isn't what it was. And it isn't as democratic as it was.

The Irish American vote is still massively important to every President. Hence why all of them do a trip over to Ireland.
    They still should do a virtual meeting because as you mention if it is cancelled once nothing to stop it happening again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

More and more it seems that people want us to be governed by the politics of the latest outrage from the minority with foghorns.

Advertisement