Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Martin and the Shamrock fiasco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,167 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Coveney, the credible one, pushed out now to say he should go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

No clear reason given though

Waffle about "cementing ties"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

There are over worked, underpaid, unvaccinated front line healthcare workers having to hold the hands of dying patients in their final minutes of life, in lieu of family members being there, because of lockdown and restrictions.

Michaél should keep that in mind before he makes up his mind to head off on a junket.

The hundreds of thousands of people affected by these restrictions, be it from not being allowed to see dying loved ones or furloughed from their work will prob be very confused at why they're so badly affected by this, yet Michaél can jet off to the states on a let's face it - junket that most definitely can be serviced by Zoom/Teams or whatever.

It will be a mistake of epic proportions, surely to Christ all them high paid advisors should be "advising" him of that.

Sensible thing would be to remain on Irish soil, and my guess is that's what will ultimately happen.

McMurphy wrote: »
    There are over worked, underpaid, unvaccinated front line healthcare workers having to hold the hands of dying patients in their final minutes of life, in lieu of family members being there, because of lockdown and restrictions.

Michaél should keep that in mind before he makes up his mind to head off on a junket.

The hundreds of thousands of people affected by these restrictions, be it from not being allowed to see dying loved ones or furloughed from their work will prob be very confused at why they're so badly affected by this, yet Michaél can jet off to the states on a let's face it - junket that most definitely can be serviced by Zoom/Teams or whatever.

It will be a mistake of epic proportions, surely to Christ all them high paid advisors should be "advising" him of that.

Sensible thing would be to remain on Irish soil, and my guess is that's what will ultimately happen.
    Coveney will look silly now it that transpires

Not the greatest idea saying what he said

Malcomex wrote: »
    Coveney will look silly now it that transpires

Not the greatest idea saying what he said

Would it surprise you in the slightest if Martin is being egged on to head of the USA by certain members of his cabinet, who would be only too happy to plunge the knife in his back the moment he touches down on yank soil?

It's not like their hasn't been any undermining going on already by the same crowd.

Martin should come out and make it clear that Coveney or anyone else doesn't speak for him, or decide his actions.

Would that be too statesman like?

• Advertisement

Would it surprise you in the slightest if Martin is being egged on to head of the USA by certain members of his cabinet, who would be only too happy to plunge the knife in his back the moment he touches down on yank soil?

It's not like their hasn't been any undermining going on already by the same crowd.

Martin should come out and make it clear that Coveney or anyone else doesn't speak for him, or decide his actions.

Would that be too statesman like?

Ah he's not silly enough to fall for that and coveney is hardly speaking out of turn?

Does MM have the ego and vanity to desire this trip?

Sound like it

Ah he's not silly enough to fall for that and coveney is hardly speaking out of turn?

Does MM have the ego and vanity to desire this trip?

Sound like it

Absafcukinloutely!

Absafcukinloutely!

He can't square the circle. On the one hand advocate fining people for going on holidays and have a glorified one himself. So his ego will have to convince him 'this is important and that he is more important'.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/airport-travel-offence-5341465-Feb2021/?utm_source=twitter_short

Absafcukinloutely!

Seems like a miscalculation if he goes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He can't square the circle. On the one hand advocate fining people for going on holidays and have a glorified one himself. So his ego will have to convince him 'this is important and that he is more important'.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/airport-travel-offence-5341465-Feb2021/?utm_source=twitter_short

From your link the reasonable excuses include.

for work reasons

to provide the functions of an elected office holder

I suppose if one was a cynic one might say "they would wouldn't they".

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    From your link the reasonable excuses include.

for work reasons

to provide the functions of an elected office holder

I suppose if one was a cynic one might say "they would wouldn't they".

I guess it depends on which is the higher 'function'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

No clear reason given though

Waffle about "cementing ties"

I'm guessing the 3 Amigos are lining up for the trip,Micky does all the running then weekend Taoiseach Leo hops on and then Bank Holiday Taoiseach Eamon gets a seat down the back, all 3 will no doubt have an entourage that would embarrass Snoop Dogg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Glorified holiday?

Nah, the ones on holiday around then in the States are the leaders of opposition parties who go over for the ride (when they get let in), the fund-raising and don't have any real meetings. Have we any examples of them in recent years? I wonder.

Any Taoiseach has real work in Washington for St. Patrick's Day. I can tell you that State visits are hard work for all involved.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Glorified holiday?

Nah, the ones on holiday around then in the States are the leaders of opposition parties who go over for the ride (when they get let in), the fund-raising and don't have any real meetings. Have we any examples of them in recent years? I wonder.

Any Taoiseach has real work in Washington for St. Patrick's Day. I can tell you that State visits are hard work for all involved.

All of which can be done over zoom, there's always next year for a holiday!

blanch152 wrote: »
    Glorified holiday?

I was in the White House of Bill Clinton for one of these shindigs and a shindig it is. The Taoiseach stands there and looks statesman like basically, stuffs his face and fly's home.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,758 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cerveza wrote: »
    Would Leo go if he was at the helm of the ship?

Did he go last year?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did he go last year?

Yes

I reckon leo wouldn't go

I'm not clear why MM is going , he could have done himself a favour with the electorate by declaring that he wouldn't be going

Looks like he's leaving it too late or is he hedging his bets ?

I reckon leo wouldn't go

I'm not clear why MM is going , he could have done himself a favour with the electorate by declaring that he wouldn't be going

Looks like he's leaving it too late or is he hedging his bets ?

Leo wouldn't even take the gilt edge chance to dissociate from the Trump reign.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/taoiseach-travels-to-us-despite-coronavirus-threat-1.4199603

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Leo wouldn't even take the gilt edge chance to dissociate from the Trump reign.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/taoiseach-travels-to-us-despite-coronavirus-threat-1.4199603

There was no guarantee in March that Trump was going to be gone.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    There was no guarantee in March that Trump was going to be gone.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Suddenly Leo’s 5th of March leak makes sense, from there point of view anyway. He was clearing a path for annual junkets

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuRxYrwvsU0
    Ireland does not want to be USA's good little person.

Micheál's junket/trip (wherever you stand on what it is) to be debated on RTE' radio's Today Show this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Micheál's junket/trip (wherever you stand on what it is) to be debated on RTE' radio's Today Show this morning.

You will find a lot of people are in work.

Well they won't be reading this then.

BTW, the radio is on here in my workspace everyday for the guts of 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

Not the perma whingers with their heads stuck in boards.ie 24/7. The W word is alien to them CF1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

mattser wrote: »
    Not the perma whingers with their heads stuck in boards.ie 24/7. The W word is alien to them CF1.

If there was work in bed for them they would lay on the floor.

Hadn't heard the Vicky Phelan idea...worth consideration IMO. Could we find a better rep who is already in the US?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Hadn't heard the Vicky Phelan idea...worth consideration IMO. Could we find a better rep who is already in the US?

She hasn’t the time to learn the hands movement that manhole does so well.

Advertisement