Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster hunter rise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lagombi

Ravage1616 wrote: »
    We could set up a discord for organising multiplayer hunts if people were interested?

I'd be up for that, it was fun playing with random people in World but I always thought it would be better to have regular group of people to hunt with

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

I've set up a discord if anyone wants to organise some multiplayer.

https://discord.gg/PxcfCEme

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Played the demo a lot but got to the point where I didnt want to waste any more time on it so ordered the game from smyths sunday. Cant wait for it to get here! I will definitely be joining the discord to get some quests done once I get a bit into it.
    I played world a lot and that was great fun, the demo feels like an improvement over that in the combat at least with the wirebug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Ravage1616 wrote: »
    I've set up a discord if anyone wants to organise some multiplayer.

https://discord.gg/PxcfCEme

Nice one - I've joined there, will post friend code on Discord group once I get on later.

I haven't even looked at Hub quests yet, just tipping away at Village stuff. Nealry finished 3 star quests. How are folks handling the Hub quests, are ye waiting until finished Village stuff or doing both together?

I do the village stuff first, make sure I've fought each monster at least once and have a good armour set for each so I don't embarass myself online. Then I stick to the lower level hub quests to start with, so I'm at 4* village but still doing 1* and 2* hub when I go online.

Once I finished village fully I'll get into the hub stuff and online a lot more but I've no plans to rush a game this good.

• Advertisement

Lagombi wrote: »
    I do the village stuff first, make sure I've fought each monster at least once and have a good armour set for each so I don't embarass myself online. Then I stick to the lower level hub quests to start with, so I'm at 4* village but still doing 1* and 2* hub when I go online.

Once I finished village fully I'll get into the hub stuff and online a lot more but I've no plans to rush a game this good.

I'm the same. Dont want to rush the story content. But once I've done that I'm all over the Hub stuff. I think once you finished Village stuff you get a pass for the Hub so you don't have to fight the same lower rank monsters all over in Hub quests like you had to do in MGHU

Barroth was first hunt that gave me any hassle but I think that was me just being careless. Bunny Dango jingle never gets old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Wasn't sure whether to cancel my Smyths preorder last week as Amazon was cheaper and it was clear on Amazon that you get a steelbook and keyrings with the preorder. I decided to stick with Smyths but just confirm that it comes with the extras they showed in the picture:

Me: Does the preorder definitely come with the steelbook and keyrings
    Smyths: Yes it does

Game arrives - no keyrings

Me: Game did not come with keyrings you promised
    Smyths: Sorry, will check the warehouse.
    Smyths: Unfortunately, I have been informed we do not have any of the keyrings left in our warehouse. As an apology I have issued a 5 euro refund.

They better pray that I hate this game.

The Bunny Dango song has been stuck in my head since Friday, it's great.

Carelessness was my problem with Barroth too, up until then I hadn't upgraded my gear or been watching my health bar too closely. Then suddenly Barroth has me stunned, on 1/4 health, and I hear that steam whistle sound..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

If I dont "get" the demo, should I stay away from the main game?

Have only played about 4 "hunts"

• Advertisement

If I dont "get" the demo, should I stay away from the main game?

Have only played about 4 "hunts"

MH is a simple beast, you hunt monsters, skin them, make cool armour and weapons, hunt harder monsters, eventually get your ar$e kicked, grind for better armor, reach end game, grind for decorations. Also multiplayer hunts.

If your not feeling the mechanics from the demo then don't expect anything fundamentally different in full game that will change your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

skerry wrote: »
    MH is a simple beast, you hunt monsters, skin them, make cool armour and weapons, hunt harder monsters, eventually get your ar$e kicked, grind for better armor, reach end game, grind for decorations. Also multiplayer hunts.

If your not feeling the mechanics from the demo then don't expect anything fundamentally different in full game that will change your mind

I really want to like it, it sounds like a really cool idea.

I am just woeful at it!!

I think the Monster Hunter demos are often quite difficult and unrepresentative of the actual games in many ways, because you are thrown into a hunt without much buildup or explanation of what to do or what's going on, and you have to make do with the equipment they give you instead of being able to bring your own items and craft gear that will help you deal with each specific monster.

I think it's easier to get into if you start the game proper and do the introduction quests, read the in-game info and all that. It depends on what parts you were having trouble with of course but if you like the core concept of the game and your main worry is the difficulty in the demo then I would say it's definitely a game you will learn as you go and get better at over time.

I'm on to 4 star Village hunts and some respectable looking monsters in there so I'm expecting the challenge to ramp up. I'm finishing out all the previous rank hunts and gathering missions before moving on but not sure if there's much need to do the collection style quests as its so easy to gather during hunts now their nearly obsolete. They were useful in MHGU for getting materials as you had to go through gathering animation 3 times to clear out each spot so I typically didn't bother gathering on a hunt.

I'm on 4 star too, it's definitely getting a bit tougher.

Good point about gathering, it's so fast and easy now. Things have come a long way from having to craft pickaxes and bug nets that broke after a few uses.

I kind of like doing the gathering quests as a change of pace, I use them as a chance to relax and explore each area.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

I'm 5 star village and I started gathering hub last night. About to get into HR3.

Played with some randoms and had some good hunts.

Defo a step up from the village quests!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Just received the steel book case and the cat and dog keyrings from GameStop, after the collector’s edition arrived last weekend, very nice surprise, wasn’t expecting them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Only been playing a bit here and there, just into the 3* village quests. Feels a little easier than previous games, but very enjoyable, and probably just a slightly gentler ramp up in difficulty, which is probably much more forgiving for beginners!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve bounced off Monster Hunter before (off Tri hard and World gently) but absolutely adoring this. Onto the 4* quests and just thoroughly enjoying the core loop. Had started with the sword and shield but made a big jump the other night and switched to the hunting horn. Possibly the strangest weapon I’ve used in an action game but it’s a delight :)

I am all in on the speed and ease of navigation. Hitting A to seamlessly summon your Palimute and sprint up a vine cliff never gets old, and the wirebug adds the perfect amount of versatility to the core movement set without overwhelming it.

What does everyone think of the Rampages? I've never been a big fan of tower defense or turret minigames so they are the one part of the game I'm less thrilled about, though admittedly I've only done 2 Rampages so far.

• Advertisement

What does everyone think of the Rampages? I've never been a big fan of tower defense or turret minigames so they are the one part of the game I'm less thrilled about, though admittedly I've only done 2 Rampages so far.

Only done one so far. Seem like a decent enough distraction but I'd much rather be lashing the head off a monster with a hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

1000x times better than that joke of a Zorah Magdaros quest in World. I've only done the 2/3 required ones so far, none outside that. Any ETA yet for when the Chameleos update drops? End of the month i think isn't it?

jaxxx wrote: »
    1000x times better than that joke of a Zorah Magdaros quest in World. I've only done the 2/3 required ones so far, none outside that. Any ETA yet for when the Chameleos update drops? End of the month i think isn't it?

Same as yourself I've only done the required rampage quests. I was farming for a gem yesterday and I did read that the drop rate for some rare mats is increased if the monster you're farming is the last monster in that rampage. Havent looked into it other than that but they might be handy for hard to get materials. Think the update is towards the end of the month which is perfect timing as I'm not far off finishing HR7 quests now and should give enough time to mess around with builds and new weapons.

So how is everyone getting on with the game? I've nearly reached the end of the Hub quests but it's a game I'll probably play for a long time to come. We should hear more about the first update next week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Taking it pretty slow as I learn the ropes. Magnamalo in the village quests is my next fight.

Only playing bits here and there, just into the 4* village quests this morning and the somnocanth. Some nice new monster designs (or at least new to me)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s my favourite ‘AAA’ game in quite some time (although maybe alongside Half Life Alyx). I’m just absolutely hooked on it. I love the central loop, and how it gradually expands and complicates the opportunities and possibilities available to you. I love the monster design, constantly keeping you on your toes. It’s great in both single and multiplayer, and I’ve even grown to thoroughly enjoy the Rampages when you get to the
    Apex monster tiers and the absolutely chaotic battles involved

The skill ceiling is well judged and surprisingly welcoming once you get past the baffling tutorials. Even basic navigation is a joy. The wirebug is such a delightfully versatile tool - seeing more or less automated swinging and climbing in the likes of Spider-Man, there’s something much more satisfying about scaling a cliff yourself by carefully timing wall-runs and wirebug pulls.

Currently HR6 and have my eye on a particular few endgame weapons which are now within reaching distance. Armour definitely comes at more of a premium, but have a few sets I reckon I’ll focus on for now. This all surprises me since I usually bounce hard off games built around repetition and loot grind. But here I’m all in - ~50 hours or so already, and definitely many many more hours play left for me even before the updates start landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

New update is out now. Adds a few new monsters and a few extra bits I think.

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    New update is out now. Adds a few new monsters and a few extra bits I think.

Had a quick look earlier. New quests, layered armor and HR cap unlocked too. Looking forward to getting stuck in later

• Advertisement

I've only been playing sporadically, and had hit my first 'wall' on Magnamalo! Think it took me around 5 attempts, over three different days, but finally beat him this evening!

So that's the intro levels done! :D

Advertisement